Where Have You Been All My Life, Jarred Joseph?

NeilT
Single-A
Single-A

Where Have You Been All My Life, Jarred Joseph?

#1 Post by NeilT »

Where Have You Been All My Life, Jarred Joseph.

Neil Thomas new GM of the PEBA's San Juan Coqui and looked over the roster, San Juan were 27-55 when he'd taken over the reigns. 6 games later and they'd managed to steady the ship somewhat with 3 wins and 3 defeats within those six games, 2 wins coming against the powerhouse Florida Ball Club.

They needed pitching though, Bob Erickson and Petro Cuypers would pay the price of a team in turmoil and struggling for wins both were sent down to Santo Domingo the Coqui's triple A team.

"Teddy I need to make some changes in the pitching department, couple of arms I can rely on until the end of the season".

(Teddy was Theodore Boyd the Santo Domingo Tourists manager, San Juan's triple A ball club. It was his third season in charge of the Tourists, his first season in charge was also His first as a manager in organised ball. He impressed in his first season (2034) going 75-65 and claiming the Europe & Islands League title, they claimed a play off spot but fell to the Chesapeake Bay Oysters 4 games to 3 in the divisional series.

His second season the Tourists didn't fair as well going 68-72 and finishing 3rd in the Europe & Islands League, this season the Tourists have fallen further behind in 4th place with a 42-66 record).

I've got 2 starting pitchers Dean Makepeace a born leader and Jarred Joseph a ..............
Neil Thomas
GM San Juan Coqui
NeilT
Single-A
Single-A

Re: Where Have You Been All My Life, Jarred Joseph?

#2 Post by NeilT »

GM Neil Thomas had met Dean Makepeace earlier in the day, now it was the turn of Jarred Joseph.

"Kara you can send Jarred in now".

(Kara Butler was not only the GM's PA but the daughter of Flint Butler retired outfielder of the San Juan Coqui between 2025 and the year he retired in 2030)

If Dean Makepeace was the quintessential English gentleman, the perfect ballplayer loyal, hard working and a leader of men then Jarred Joseph was, well the opposite. Loyal only to himself, laid back and did little in training and not really springing into action until gameday and then only when it pleased him.

Something had changed though, that was his scouting report last season. He had fire in his eyes when he sat down in the GM's office.

"I'll be honest Jarred I'm not convinced that you're the right fit, seems that you pitch like an All Star in triple A but once you take the mound in the majors you seem lost, tell me what if anything as changed". asked the GM.

"My Gran".

The GM looked puzzled.

Jarred continued.

"You see my Gran raised me after my Mom left me with her when I was 3 weeks old, so she's like my Mom not my Gran. Anyway I went visiting her this off season and told her I was going to quit, well she raised up and said she hadn't raised no quiter, she'd raised a man with a backbone.

You just brought it up boss, I play like an All Star in triple A and a chump in the majors so I said the same thing to my Gran.

She replied.

"What's that over there on the cupboard, pride of place?"

"A baseball".

"That's from a game you won in the majors that you signed for me, next to it is one you signed from a win in triple A, any difference?"

"No Mam"

"Just think for a minute you play with a bat, ball and glove in the majors as you do in triple A, ballparks are just the same maybe a bit smaller, crowds are the same maybe a bit smaller in triple A but crap out their ass just like you and me. So every time you get nervous you look down at that mitt and ball and say just like triple A until your relaxed and ready to pitch".

"So that's what I'm going to do boss, if it doesn't work then release me you'll have no argument with me. If it does work you may need to take my Gran on as a pitching coach".
Neil Thomas
GM San Juan Coqui

Return to “San Juan Coqui”