Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Roberto Diaz returns home

#1 Post by Reg »

Roberto Diaz returns home

Scott Plack, The Cajun Chronicles
March 12th, 2035

One thing about being a fan of the Trendsetters, is time can feel like it flies by, and other times it crawls by.

The team's 24-year playoff drought, for instance, has been well-documented, and for fans of the team, it has felt like an eternity.

However, in this instance, time really felt like it flew by.

It's hard to believe it was 16 years ago when Roberto Diaz was New Orleans' 12th overall pick in the 2019 Draft. That day, the fresh-faced Diaz, just weeks from his four fantastic seasons in college baseball, excitedly gave his first interview. "I can't wait to get to the big leagues and show Trendsetter fans what I can do! I think I can really make a difference for them", he told the media.

Turns out, he wouldn't play in New Orleans ... yet.

Diaz sped through the minor leagues from 2019 to 2021, winning AA's Glove Wizard Award for a shortstop. By 2022, people were expecting Diaz to jump into PEBA for the Trendsetters. However, fate intervened.

In 2021, the Trendsetters were in their first season under new GM Reg LeBlanc. Today we see him as more experienced and cautious, but 14 seasons ago, it was mostly inexperience and over-eagerness. On Boxing Day, fans of the team got a very unwelcome Christmas present. In one of the most lopsided trades in PEBA history, Diaz was dealt to the division rival Calzones along with a 2nd round pick, for pitcher Jorge Estrada.

In a one-on-one interview with BNN's John Garland a few years ago, LeBlanc had this to say, when asked about the trade; "Chaulk it up to a rookie mistake", he said. "This is probably the biggest regret in my tenure as General Manager so far. We were desperate for pitching, and I was new to the job so I didn't fully appreciate what I traded away".

Laughing and leaning towards the camera, he added "A word of wisdom to you newer GM's out there: get the feel of your entire organization before getting trades done!"

As expected, Diaz went straight to PEBA in 2022. He played for the Calzones for 6 seasons, and was named an All-Star twice in that span. He then spent some time in Okinawa (where he was an All-Star again), Kalamazoo and Tempe, before becoming a free agent last fall.

Looking for a veteran player that can fill a hole at Third Base, LeBlanc couldn't resist the urge to come full circle and sign Diaz. However, when asked about the previous link to Diaz in a press conference today, LeBlanc cracked a smile, but was quick to clarify why the decision was made. "First and foremost, we signed him because he can play, and I think he can contribute to our team".

Diaz, who turned 37 last month, could still be an effective and consistent member of the lineup. He batted a modest .212 last season, with 6 home runs and 34 RBI. However, he drew 59 walks, which moved his on-base percentage to a slightly better .291 . For $3 million, it is a relatively low risk signing; although one that could pay off.

He signed with the team on March 4th, but travel delays meant that he missed the first week of spring training. Fans can finally get to see Roberto Diaz in a Trendsetter uniform for the first time at tomorrow's Spring Training game against West Virginia. According to the team, Diaz will wear number 27.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “New Orleans Trendsetters”