New Manager In Reno

Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

New Manager In Reno

#1 Post by Zephyrs »

RENO, NV – A little more than a decade ago, Antonio Morales was winding down his career as a player in the Planetary Extreme Baseball Association. He was drafted in the first round (6th overall) of the 2011 Amateur Draft by the Reno Tenpinners. He was a college standout for the Memphis Belles posting a 1.013 OPS in his senior year. The speedy Centerfielder was a highly touted prospect who made his PEBA debut in 2014 where he posted a respectable .756 OPS in 285 at bats. Morales was never what you would call a superstar but he managed to become a steady contributor for the better part of ten seasons, six with Reno. On January 1st 2025 Antonio announced his retirement. And as they say, when one door closes another one opens. In 2028 Antonio was hired as the Hitting Coach for Reno’s minor league affiliate Angoon Avalanche (SS-A). He excelled as a minor league coach earning a promotion to Reno in 2030 where he has received high praise from the players and management as the Zephyrs hitting coach.

Morales will make his debut as a PEBA manager in 2035. The Reno Zephyrs have announced Morales will succeed Tony Carmona who left the team when his contract was concluded at the end of the 2034 season. Carmona’s tenure with the team lasted 19 seasons, 9 as a player, 5 as a bench coach, 4 as the manager and 1 as the assistant GM. Carmona was a successful coach and manage, making the playoffs in 2 of his 4 seasons. However, he always struggled connecting with the players. “Carmona was a great manager for our organization and we have nothing but praise for him and his abilities, Assistant GM Daisuke Yamashita said during the press conference announcing the hiring of Morales. However, we have decided to part ways and go in a different direction. Our organization is very excited about the direction Antonio Morales will take this team. Morales played the game with intensity and was a terrific teammate. When you talk to the guys who played with him, they all swear by him. He was always a team first and self second kind of guy. He was a consummate team player.”

“My dad was a high school basketball coach and when he died, so many of his former players showed up at the funeral. It really hit me hard. Just how many lives he was able to touch in a positive way. Playing team sports, at any level can be unbelievably rewarding for so many people, Morales said at his press conference. Shortly after I retired, I sat down with my wife and decided to try and walk a little but in my dad’s footsteps. Reno was my first choice and I asked to become a minor league coach. They agreed on the spot and I will be eternally grateful for the opportunities this organization has provided me as both a player and a coach.”

Morales announced there will be no changes to the staff other than the hiring of Andres Quinones to fill the hitting coach vacancy after his promotion to manager. “Carmona was a great manager for this team and we are going to keep some consistency in the staff. We have some obvious holes to fill on the 25 man roster due to a few players filling for free agency. I am excited to get to work and bring home a championship for this great organization.”
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010

Return to “League News and Articles”