Munakata Returns to Toyama

Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#1 Post by Wind Dancers »

Toyama Wind Dancers Blog

Former Lupin catcher Shigekazu Munakata has been hired as a hitting coach in SA Osakasayama. Munakata, a fan favorite during his time with the Cliffhangers, was well known as the orchestrator of the Lupin defense from 2015-2021. A “field general” style catcher with a knack for getting on base and the occasional home run, Munakata was a 5-time All-star in the LRS with Lupin and later Chiba.

Drafted out of high school in 2010, Munakata spent four years in the Toyama farm system before getting the starting gig in 2015. In his first season, he hit .293 with 15 HR’s and a 4.2 WAR earning an all-star spot in his rookie year. In the LRS, Munakata would average .277 and 20 HR’s a year earning platinum stick awards in 2022 and 2023. He was also with Lupin in their inaugural PEBA season where he hit a respectable .256 before heading back to the LRS the season after, signing with Chiba. Munakata quickly became a fan favorite with his booming voice shouting orders around the diamond whether on the field or in the dugout. Seeing a 23-year old rookie bark orders to hit veteran pitchers and infielders certainly sparked something as he remained a key contributor for 7 years.

Munakata retired in 2025 and immediately began pursuing a job in coaching. Teaching at various high schools in Japan, he built up a reputation of wanting this his way but finding general success in doing so. At age 42, this will be Munakata’s first job in professional baseball, teaching a team that has struggled offensively for a few seasons. Osakasayama’s manager, Shoraku Aoki, coached Munakata in single-A with the Cagliostro Thieves from 2010-2012 and was eager to bring on his former player. Also on staff is Shinobu Takeuchi who played alongside Munakata with the Cliffhangers, setting up an all-Toyama coaching staff in short-A. With a controlling personality, comes immense personal pressure to succeed. “If I’m screaming at the top of my lungs telling these boys what to do, I better be damn sure I know what I’m doing,” Munakata said in a recent interview. When asked to describe what he expects from his players he remarked “never giving up on your teammates” & “always looking to improve yourself on the field or off of it”. Outsiders consider Munakata an excellent teacher of how to hit the ball and read pitches, with a specialty on the small ball aspects of the game. Munakata expects every player to be willing to lay down a bunt, hit a sac fly, and in general put the team before themselves. In recent practices, Munakata did not hesitate to step behind the plate himself while coaching, both “harassing” young hitters and throwing to second, implying he might be able to suit up and play if need be.

With another Toyama alum teaching the players of tomorrow, fans look forward to the Toyama culture being instilled early on in their careers.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)

Return to “League News and Articles”