Winter wonder in Kentucky

RoryN
Little Leaguer
Little Leaguer

Winter wonder in Kentucky

#1 Post by RoryN »

Lexington Herald Leader-Duke J. Bodine, Staff Writer

Since being hired as the new GM of the Kentucky Thoroughbreds, Rory Noble has been working with coaches and other staff members to determine the best path for the team moving forward. The ultimate goal is to compete in the Imperial League’s Dixie Division, return to the playoffs, and bring a PEBA Championship to Kentucky.

Many fans of the team have talked about the slow, methodical approach that has been taken with regard to roster movement. One caller on a WLXG program said, “Not rushing into a bunch of crazy moves is probably best for the team, and the fans.” Noble tends to agree, to a certain extent.

“I’m definitely not a ‘rebuild the team from the ground up every season’ kind of GM,” he said recently. “I want to look at the long haul; the sustainability of keeping players in the system while still bringing in new faces to help move us forward.”

Soon after the PEBA Winter Meetings began, some of the fans’ tunes changed slightly. The first trade of the Noble era sent fan-favorite 3B prospect Jin-song Zambrano to the Niihama-shi Ghosts in exchange for the Ghosts’ 2034 first round pick, which is number 7 overall, minor league pitchers Jordan Morgan, Mike Travis, and minor league CF Toby Woods. The initial reaction from many fans calling in to the morning show on WLXG was that of shock. The words “idiot” and “ridiculous” were used often with one caller adding the Noble “may have had a bit too much of that good ol’ Kentucky bourbon” during the meetings.

Noble shrugged off the early criticism with a smile. “I know people won’t always agree with my ideas. That’s part of being a manager or leader in any organization. There is an endgame with this. Just wait and see what else might happen.” Fans didn’t need to wait too long.

Sure enough, as the meetings were closing for the year, a last minute deal hit the podium. In it, Kentucky sent that recently acquired pick from Niihama-shi along with their own first round pick in 2024 to the West Virginia Alleghenies in exchange for SS Bang-xao You.

Callers to the sports line on WLXG were a bit more optimistic in their comments after seeing this trade news. “I think it’s a good move,” said one caller. “You was a solid contributor for West Virginia and I’m sure he’ll do the same here.” Other callers tended to agree that it was a good trade.

“When you look at it, we gave up three players in order to get four,” Noble explained. “Yes, two of those players were unknowns being draft picks, but the people we got-I’ll stand by those as good choices for our team. Bang-xao won a championship with the Alleghenies last season and he’ll bring that experience to our clubhouse. To build a winning culture we need to build a culture of winning. There has to be some change in order to do that.”

Last season You hit .285 in 575 at-bats with 26 doubles, 5 triples, and 2 home runs. He stole 57 bases while only being caught 9 times and was a solid fielder at shortstop. He joins recent FA signing 3B Emílio ‘Pudd’ Díaz to help shore up the weak infield defense for the coming season. “He’s a playmaker,” Diaz said when he heard the news. “At the plate, in the field, a playmaker.”

Will there be any other trades this off-season? “I don’t know,” Noble said, flashing a mischievous smile. “My door is always open and my phone is always on. We shall see.”
Rory Noble
GM - Kentucky Thoroughbreds

"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance."-David Mamet
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Winter wonder in Kentucky

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

;-D
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations