PEBA Expansion: The Return of the King

Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

PEBA Expansion: The Return of the King

#1 Post by Wind Dancers »

With the offseason on its way, PEBA is glad to announce its final league expansion as the New Jersey Hitmen and Gloucester Fishermen return to the PEBA. These are both original PEBA teams NJ even having won the very first Rodriguez Cup. We will get into expansion details later, but it will be very similar to the NII/TEM expansion. The new GM's will take over in the WIL during the 2034 season and will join the PEBA in 2035.

Divisions

Both teams will be headed to the IL to finalize two 16-team "leagues".

New Jersey will be placed in the Seaboard division.
Gloucester will be placed in the Trans-Atlantic division (the only US-based TA team)

GMs

My choice of thread title was not only a reference to this being our third expansion but the return of sorts for a current GM. Mike C (Madison) will be returning home to the Hitmen a team that he was the GM of from 2011-2023.

As for Gloucester, we currently have one interested current GM that we have reached out to but have been waiting for a response. If there are others interested in taking charge of an expansion team (challenging) please reach out to the board so we can sort things out. This is a long-haul job, do not reach out if you aren't willing/ready for the challenges of building a team from the bottom.

As of right now, we have 1 new GM coming in to either take over Madison or the other open PEBA team but that will happen once we know which teams will be open.

WIL

The WIL will continue to exist as a "B" professional league. We are not sure if we are sticking with 8 teams or going with 12.

I'd be glad to answer any questions here or on Slack.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: PEBA Expansion: The Return of the King

#2 Post by KenH »

Great news! Very excited to see PEBA return to its full glory
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Hitmen »

Excited to be heading back to New Jersey to as the cliche goes, handle some unfinished business.

Definitely a tough decision to leave all the work I've put into Canton/Madison, especially when the fruits are finally starting to bloom; but with Duane leaving Kentucky it made it a bit easier for me to want to head back to New Jersey and continue the IL Rules chants in his stead along with the couple old guard still around. Being one of the early GMs in the IL has some historical significance to me, so I've always had that draw to go back if it potentially became available. Also looking forward to the challenge of the expansion team experience as well and hopefully limiting my mistakes this time around.

Hoping Madison gets the love it deserves after me and is able to finalize the push into their first playoff birth.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by John »

I can understand it being a tough decision, Mike, but you are the Hitmen. This was meant to be. I can't tell you how excited I am to see the Hitmen returning to the league (and the Fisherman, too)! One thing is for sure: New Jersey fans have to be thrilled about the quality GM they just landed. ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Ghosts »

To the WIL GMs, reach out if you'd like to pick my brain about the year in exile or the rebuild process as it worked out. I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind either.

A huge kudos to Michael for taking on the Hitmen expansion. They were WIL monsters when Niihama tried to make a list minute run. Hopefully they're still more talented than other WIL teams.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Apollos »

Ghosts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 am To the WIL GMs, reach out if you'd like to pick my brain about the year in exile or the rebuild process as it worked out. I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind either.

A huge kudos to Michael for taking on the Hitmen expansion. They were WIL monsters when Niihama tried to make a list minute run. Hopefully they're still more talented than other WIL teams.
Absolutely, would be happy to share any lessons learned and I'm glad to see Mike returning to his roots, so to speak.

Looks like we're poaching the WIL of it's two most talented squads this round as opposed to when the dregs were shifted last time %-6
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by Wind Dancers »

Ghosts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 am To the WIL GMs, reach out if you'd like to pick my brain about the year in exile or the rebuild process as it worked out. I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind either.

Ironically, NJ/GLO are in better spots than any of the previous expansion teams. They have the best FI/FL/Markets sizes and they are both really good right now. We have some plans to maintain their level for this coming season so that they aren't gutted financially before the move to PEBA.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Lions »

Glad to see you back in NJ, Mike. I'm sure whoever takes over Madison will be very grateful for the work you've done there, too.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Denny »

This is very exciting news! Great to see how the health of the league has rebounded under our current Commissioner and board members.

I will say only that if Gloucester does not want to be the only US-based TA team, they could move to Marseille for a second time... :grin:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Codgers wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm I will say only that if Gloucester does not want to be the only US-based TA team, they could move to Marseille for a second time... :grin:
Oh, trust me - all kinds of storylines have been bounced around in The Board Room regarding the Fishermen - the problem might be that the O.G. Codger ain't the only codger on board the S.S. PEBA... :lol:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#11 Post by Sandgnats »

Farstriders wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:58 pm Great news! Very excited to see PEBA return to its full glory
Bravo! :clap: Looking forward to having another huge market in the fold. ie. NJ
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”