Underground cast off Andres Hernandez

Underground
Double-A
Double-A

Underground cast off Andres Hernandez

#1 Post by Underground »

London, UK -

On Friday the London Underground announced their decision to decline the team option on first basemen Andres Hernandez's contract. The team will pay $1,000,000 for the buyout, saving $8,000,000 by not having to pay Hernandez in 2034. Hernandez came to London in a trade with the Evas as part of what was clearly a salary dump by the Evas. So clear, in fact, that the team included $1,000,000 in cash in the trade so as to cover London's future buyout. Nonetheless Hernandez was wildly popular in London and appeared in 121 games. Though he only managed a poor .224 batting average he did show flashes of his old power, hitting a total of 17 HR on the year.

Most around the league expected this move, though reports out of London did suggest that the front office had been waffling towards the end of the postseason as they debated whether Hernandez draw was worth his salary as the team looks to fill their new stadium for it's inaugural season. On Thursday it was reported that Sir John Fowler Jr. had further cut the Underground budget for 2034 and it is believed that this sealed the fate of Hernandez's contract.

Among those on the team we reached for comment, the praise and respect for Hernandez's career and work ethic were universal. "It was amazing to get to play alongside him" said Underground left fielder Bob Brown. "I had his poster in my bedroom growing up. I'd watch him play at the bar with my teammates in college. Totally surreal to get to hang out with him at practice every day and see him play the game." Shortstop Ed Black echoed a similar sentiment; "Total living legend. Guy is trying just as hard in 2033 as he was in 2023. To still be playing the infield at that high of a level too, is impressive. He could easily have asked to be DH and gotten it but he wanted to be out there on the field every inning. Nothing but respect. I think we all knew it could end this way, but we will definitely miss the old goat."

Hernandez, who will turn 38 next season, remains a wildly popular player across the PEBA universe. He is a six time All-Star, two time PEBA champion including a playoff series MVP award, and a two time MVP. He has earned nearly $250,000,000 since he broke into the league in 2021 and will look to add to that total on the free agent market this winter.
Evan Seary
London Underground
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Underground cast off Andres Hernandez

#2 Post by Evas »

AH is one of my all time favorite PEBA players. A clear hall of famer, IMO.

He still has some gas left in the tank too. Hopefully he finds a spot on a PEBA roster.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:59 am AH is one of my all time favorite PEBA players. A clear hall of famer, IMO.

He still has some gas left in the tank too. Hopefully he finds a spot on a PEBA roster.
I hear he'd love to be back with the Evil Evas...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#4 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:44 pm
Evas wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:59 am AH is one of my all time favorite PEBA players. A clear hall of famer, IMO.

I hear he'd love to be back with the Evil Evas...
I won't be missing him much ;)
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “London Underground”