Garza, Miyata Join the Farm

KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

Garza, Miyata Join the Farm

#1 Post by KenH »

(This is the article for player to coach conversion for Felix Garza)

Don't look now, but Florida’s minor league coaching system is slowly becoming a veritable “who’s who” of Featherheads greats.

Three seasons ago, Chris “Moondog” York hung up his well-worn spikes, intent on animal rescue initiatives and being more of a family man. With three Golden Arm awards, nine all-star appearances, and even a gold glove for good measure, York had himself a “pretty good career.”

Two new coaches have joined the fold in 2031 who had “pretty good careers” for the F-Heads are potential first-ballot Hall of Famer Yoshino Miyata, and 2021 Golden Arm Award winner Felix “Hoover” Garza.

While Garza may not have retired with the same accolades as Miyata or Moondog, his presence was no less essential in the leadup to the 2025 championship. Garza had a career that stretched 12 years across LDBI and PEBA, Garza made a name for himself in PEBA as a starter for the Featherheads, coming over from the Dominican in his year 27 season. Garza spent 8 years with the Featherheads, pitching to an amazing 2.39 FIP during his time in Florida.

Garza holds many accolades himself, with his capstone award: The 2021 IL Golden Arm Award. With the inclusion of the 2021 winner, the Featherheads now have winners of 4 of the 6 seasons between 2016 and 2021 (York with the other 3).

“It feels great to be back with the organization that I have so much respect for,” Garza said in his press conference. “I’m very excited to work with the youngsters who are just starting their very own pro journeys.”

Garza will have a unique chance to help shape a new crop of Featherheads pitching, setting up shop in Port Sudan along with first time hitting coach and fellow Featherheads great Yoshino Miyata.

“If I’m a youngster who has to choose between the Featherheads and some other team and I know that if I choose Florida, I’m going to get taught by a dream team of coaches who have had amazing success in their careers with 10 all-star appearances between them, I know who I’d choose,” said general manager Ken Hannahs. “We are slowly building our ranks to be one of the most enticing landing spots for position players and pitchers alike… bringing on Garza and Miyata only better illustrate our interest in building a world-class coaching organization from top to bottom.”

The Featherheads have further shown their interest in building their coaching staffs within as they’ve already doled out 7 extensions to coaches throughout their organization despite only being in early February. “We believe in our guys and we want them to feel secure in their positions,” stated Hannahs. These guys are so important to our continued growth and development and we want to make sure all of our guys are feeling respected and cared for in their careers.”

For Garza, though, this may still be a one-time gig. “I am testing the waters for now,” Garza stated. “I’ve only signed for one year so far. I want to see if this is a fit for me. I’m only 38, so I still have a lot to learn and a lot to live. I can’t wait to see what’s next.”

As for Miyata, there seems much less doubt. Already signed for five years, the prospective Hall of Famer looks primed to settle in for the long haul. “It’s obviously an exciting year for me and my family. I’ve taken some time off and I’m ready to jump back in the fold. While I interviewed with several organizations, but being able to come back to the Featherheads is special to me. I’m ready to help this organization become something truly special.”

With already the first two picks of the 2031 draft, both ex-Featherheads may be able to find themselves able to help guide youngsters sooner than not.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion

Return to “Florida Farstriders”