Draft stuff - if size is an issue

Matt
VIP
VIP

Draft stuff - if size is an issue

#1 Post by Matt »

Players I would be concerned about if size is an issue, which I am of the belief that it is after seriously reviewing rosters last season.

RF Manuel Serrano - my scouting has him rated as a 76 power potential. Had a monster year in 07, hitting 14 bombs with 41 ribbies. 7 hr and 25 ribbies in 08. Had 3 hr in 9 ab's before a torn rib cage muscle put him out for 6 months. At 5 feet 9 and 175 lbs, serious size concerns. The fact that he has already broken down would leave me even more concerned.

RF Curt Ramey - just 18, and not really a top prospect, but that 47 power potential looks at least slightly interesting when digging through scraps in the middle and late rounds. But at 5 ft 11, 185 lbs, have to wonder how well that power displayed at the high school level will translate over into production at the higher levels. I have my doubts.

MR Michael Smallbridge - one of the highest rated middle relievers, if not the highest by most scouts. Eye popping numbers, especially the whip and k/w ratio. But just 5 ft 8, he's more qualified to be one of the seven dwarfs than a member of any PEBA bullpen.

SP Jaime Salinas - a little bit to like about Salinas, especially his stuff, he struck out 70 and walked just 17 last season. But 5'9", a little weak on the size I am afraid.

SP German Rivera - good stuff, great endurance, can run it up to 94 on the gun, has posted some very good numbers. 5 ft 9 in.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

I definitely agree on the hitters (especially the injured Serrano), but I'd be more willing to give the pitchers a break. Smallbridge in particular has been a beast; his numbers and his makeup would be enough to make me overlook his size (I'll try to resist inserting a joke about how at just 5'8" it's easy to overlook Smallbridge).

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”