All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Clarence Carpenter Sets PEBA Record for Steals in a Season

#1 Post by Sandgnats »

CRYSTAL LAKE HERALD

SPORTS – GNATS NOW
Clarence Carpenter Sets PEBA Record for Steals in a Season
Updated: October 1, 2029 – 9:05 AM

By Howard Heskin, Gnats Beat Writer and ESPN PEBA Correspondent – Twitter @HowardHeskin1

Gnats RF Clarence Carpenter finished the season yesterday by setting the PEBA record for stolen bases in one season at 114 in 129 attempts. "[Joe] Matterson just gave me the green light this season and I decided to run with it!" exclaimed the usually reserved Carpenter at today's award ceremony. "Personal accolades aside, I'm excited to get rolling in the playoffs with my teammates. All this won't matter if we can't bring home a Rodriguez Cup back to Crystal Lake."

Clarence finished just ahead of Tom Patton of Okinawa who notched 108 stolen bases this year, who also bested the previous record by surpassing Naoaki Kichida (FL) who had 89 steals in 2010. Shane Willis of Palm Springs and Raul Garcia of West Virginia also exceeded the previous record with 93 stolen bases each. Jeffry Grier of Neo-Toyko tied the previous mark. Clarence's career stolen base number is now 491 in his 7 year career. He is second all time to the retired Raúl García, who numbered 519 stolen bases in his 12 year career.

2029 certainly will be known as the year of the stolen base.

"You know we are really proud of Clarence," stated Joe Matterson at the press conference, "but we are most proud of Tony Parker with his one steal this season on August 3rd against Toyoma." No one seems to remember that stolen base or how a 6'1'' 225lb so-called catcher that runs the 40 in 5.75 seconds stole a base this season."

Well we have the answer Mr. Matterson. Clarence stole 3rd and Tony Parker advanced behind Clarence as the throw was unsuccessful to 3rd in the top of the 9th inning. Look it up guys.

Not to rag on Tony too much, but he did hit personal high of 42 home runs this season while driving in another personal best of 110 runs.

Go Gnats.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: larence Carpenter Sets PEBA Record for Steals in a Seaso

#2 Post by Lions »

114 SB's after the previous record was 89... that's ridonculous. It's a 28% increase.
That would be the equivalent of someone hitting 67 home runs to best Morimoto's 53.

As for Parker getting credit for and SB on a double steal... I never really felt like the trailing runner should get credit for that if the throw attempted to nab the lead runner. Carpenter stole that base for Parker!

FYI - the subject of this thread is missing the leading "C".
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: larence Carpenter Sets PEBA Record for Steals in a Seaso

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Badgers wrote:114 SB's after the previous record was 89... that's ridonculous. It's a 28% increase.
That would be the equivalent of someone hitting 67 home runs to best Morimoto's 53.

As for Parker getting credit for and SB on a double steal... I never really felt like the trailing runner should get credit for that if the throw attempted to nab the lead runner. Carpenter stole that base for Parker!

FYI - the subject of this thread is missing the leading "C".
Thanks Frank!!

The lead runner should get a half steal!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “Crystal Lake Sandgnats”