The Great Read

DougO
Single-A
Single-A

The Great Read

#1 Post by DougO »

I’m hoping to build this thread into an index of the great writings and history of the PEBA.

Do you have a favorite post, story, or team blog? Post the link here.
Do you have a forum thread all self-respecting PEBA GM should read? Post the link here.
Anything of PEBA historical value? Link it.

Format —
(Link to article/post) (Short summary of post and its significance)

The plan is to list all the recommendations into categories like PEBA History, Player Profiles, Team Lore, Creative Work, etc. Any ideas would be helpful.
Last edited by DougO on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doug Olmsted
GM Okinawa Shisa
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: The Great Read

#2 Post by DrewV »

As a newcomer and regular lore delver, I've found some of these articles particularly useful/interesting/fun:

The PEBAverse Rises from the Ashes of the MLB -Reg posted this a while back, it's a detailed interview with John Rodriguez, the founding GM of PEBA as we know it. Definitely a good place to start to get a sense of gravity to the league's origin and depth.

The LRS Scandal- Not fun for anyone who was involved to dwell on, I'm sure, but for rookies like me it paints a good picture of just how much PEBA had to overcome, and also gives an OOC background to the LRS merger and the Japanese subculture of the league. I reccommend newcomers also dig through the LRS Archives.

Aurora Storealis Blog, where Mike has meticulously followed the progress of his team since 2012, and the Crock of Gunt Collection, which can be read for hours of entertainment. Mike told me I'd get CP for repping him.

I feel like this song, to me, is the unofficial theme song of PEBA. It was written and recorded by Patrick for the Edo Battrousai, and old LRS team, and it pumps me up for PEBA lore.

Yuma Bob's fiction is a fine treat from a lifetime writer, and the way he weaves the wacky world of Yuma with glimpses into unfiltered humanity is inspiring. A few good examples are Deja Voodoo and most recently Tap-Tap-Tapping: The Continued Saga of David Goode..

Frank's Draft and Follow is an awesome and fun way to follow the progress (or lack thereof) of draft classes, giving personality to the picks.

I could go on. Vic stewards an active and well-crafted update each sim that makes everyone a Scottish fan. Ken, RJ, and Reg have the podcast which gives the league an awesome amount of depth and insight. Mike's Daily Jumper is an unassuming but well-written blog on a fascinating PEBA team.

So much gold out there!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Arroyos »

Thanks for the kind words, Drew. My agent will be sending you the check we agreed upon shortly.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Lions »

I feel like there's an article or series that probably best represents each team. For me, one of the front page articles when I first joined PEBA set the tone for Palm Springs:
Codgers Seek Submersible Success
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Warriors wrote:Yuma Bob's fiction is a fine treat from a lifetime writer, and the way he weaves the wacky world of Yuma with glimpses into unfiltered humanity is inspiring. A few good examples are Deja Voodoo and most recently Tap-Tap-Tapping: The Continued Saga of David Goode..
Thanks for the kind words Drew - and I'll point out Drew has created some amazing stuff as well!

What I'd love to see is a Chronology of Yuma Bob's work, from the early infighting, to institutionalization, the Cards, Fire, etc - all so awesome!! I think there was one about a gurney and freezers that was particularly riveting...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Leones »

No GM, old or new, should attend a draft without having read Frank's latest gem:

High School vs College Draft Analysis
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:
Warriors wrote:Yuma Bob's fiction is a fine treat from a lifetime writer, and the way he weaves the wacky world of Yuma with glimpses into unfiltered humanity is inspiring. A few good examples are Deja Voodoo and most recently Tap-Tap-Tapping: The Continued Saga of David Goode..
Thanks for the kind words Drew - and I'll point out Drew has created some amazing stuff as well!

What I'd love to see is a Chronology of Yuma Bob's work, from the early infighting, to institutionalization, the Cards, Fire, etc - all so awesome!! I think there was one about a gurney and freezers that was particularly riveting...
Mike, I have a collection of all my PEBA stories that I'm trying to convince someone to print as a sort of novel/story sequence. I'll let you know if anyone shows any interest. In the end, I may just publish it myself, since that has become so easy and I had such fun doing it with my last book.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Borealis »

That would be cool - a second PEBA book!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Borealis »

Speaking of PEBA books, at this point you really have to dumpster dive to find this one:
See The PEBA on $25 a Day
Ron Collins turned this one into an actual book... I don't know if we have a one-stop shop here in the forums, with all the stories linked up on one page, but there's the starter story for you... there's also an LRS version, 'Chasing the Sun' I believe... I'll try to gather them all here, so check back later...

I hope this is the accurate listing of episodes. Unfortunately, the Front Page versions seem to be lost in the ether...

1. April 6, 2013, See The PEBA on $25 a Day
2. April 7, 2013, Riding the Not-So-Slow Boat
3. April 20, 2013, Flying With Annie
4. April 23, 2013, Double Down in Reno
5. April 26, 2013, Tempe, Tempe, Tempe
6. May 3, 2013, Desperately Seeking Pennant
7. May 11, 2013, The Slow Hook
8. May 16, 2013, It Happens
9. May 24, 2013, The Hitmen Need to Start Hittin'
10. May 25, 2013, Going Somewhere?
11. May 27-28, 2013, We've Got to Do Something
12. May 29, 2013, Home Field Advantage
13. June 3, 2013, The Last Game
14. June 5, 2013, Extra Innings
15. June 23-27, 2013, Jet Lag, Bagels and Starbucks

I think that's it...
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#10 Post by Vic »

Drew’s entire Ricky McCoy series is great stuff - Bells; Silence or Something Better; the Warrior Beat blog.

One of my favorite pieces by Drew is “Indian Island,” a story on Page 11 of Unga Bunga, the Warrior Blog.

If you follow the link, you need to scroll down a bit to find it. Don’t skip the first story (Legacy), though. It’s also nice.

Indian Island is the story of a young pitcher and his relationship with his dysfunctional mother that packs an emotional punch.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Maulers »

Well this is probably the most well-known of the dispatches that were penned by L.H. Thompson, the local beat reporter of the Manchester Maulers. I'm not sure if it's my favorite; but it was definitely a breakthrough moment for Thompson.

http://pebabaseball.com/blog/2008/11/29 ... hree-acts/
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”