Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2028, Season 22

Bureaucrats
Double-A
Double-A

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2028, Season 22

#106 Post by Bureaucrats »

The May 29th-June 1st sim was interesting, when compared to the previous sim. The 'Crats went 1-5 in the previous sim and 3-1 in the May 29th-June 1st sim. So the turnaround for a near .500 May was somewhat calming.
Justin Barker
GM Arlington Bureaucrats
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#107 Post by KenH »

Can we all just marvel at Crystal Lake all-time great second basemen Jim Klein throwing 2.2 scoreless frames against Shin Seiki real quick?

The rest of RJs team was getting CRUSHED that game... its no problem for the cool-hand of the Sandgnats' shut-down relief option... Jim Klein. He gave up ZERO hits and only walked ONE.

I am going to be thinking about this all day. I can't wrap my head around it.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#108 Post by Evas »

Featherheads wrote:Can we all just marvel at Crystal Lake all-time great second basemen Jim Klein throwing 2.2 scoreless frames against Shin Seiki real quick?

The rest of RJs team was getting CRUSHED that game... its no problem for the cool-hand of the Sandgnats' shut-down relief option... Jim Klein. He gave up ZERO hits and only walked ONE.

I am going to be thinking about this all day. I can't wrap my head around it.
Wow. I missed that.

Need to have a long conversation with my hitting coach, apparently.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#109 Post by Sandgnats »

Jim is the man. I'm going to be so sad when he retired. Two guys I want to hire for coaching roles when they retire. Yogi and Klein. After that marathon series against the Winddancers, that's all we had left. In a losing effort, just another great decision by Matterson not to stick another reliever out there and rest them for the next game.

I also would like to say that of Jim's 19 pitches. 12 were strikes.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#110 Post by Fishermen »

I think an 0-5 sim has put the mockers on any thoughts Hartford had on a second successive 100-win season lol, we'll be lucky to finish above .500 this season thanks to my wonderful influence :,-(

Alfredo Zambrano has been activated off the DL but in our current form watch his 4-0 record go up in smoke. He'll turn round and before he knows it he'll be 4-4 like Romano

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#111 Post by Lions »

Wow, that's cool! Klein only made it into one game as a batter this week, too. You have to wonder if Klein was put on the mound after giving his manager a hard time about the error committed by second baseman Derrick Dwyer in the 3rd. I doubt Klein has been too fond of Dwyer since he was acquired last year. I can see him yelling that he should be in there instead of Dwyer and the manager saying, "You want in there? Fine! You're pitching!"
Evas wrote:Need to have a long conversation with my hitting coach, apparently.
Seriously... All 8 outs were fly ball outs. 4 of the batters he faced flew out on the first pitch. 3 of the other batters flew out on the second pitch. The other two batters were a 2-1 fly out and a 3-1 walk.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#112 Post by Borealis »

Badgers wrote:
Seriously... All 8 outs were fly ball outs. 4 of the batters he faced flew out on the first pitch. 3 of the other batters flew out on the second pitch. The other two batters were a 2-1 fly out and a 3-1 walk.
I think they saw Klein walk in and they all got 'saucer eyes' when they saw those 80-MPH fastballs crawling to the plate and started swinging for the fences!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#113 Post by Sandgnats »

Badgers wrote:Wow, that's cool! Klein only made it into one game as a batter this week, too. You have to wonder if Klein was put on the mound after giving his manager a hard time about the error committed by second baseman Derrick Dwyer in the 3rd. I doubt Klein has been too fond of Dwyer since he was acquired last year. I can see him yelling that he should be in there instead of Dwyer and the manager saying, "You want in there? Fine! You're pitching!"
Klein is such a great leader that he was more than happy to give up his spot to Dwyer and just be good mentor to him. Plus he was the only rested player available to pitch!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#114 Post by Fishermen »

I successfully avoided any 'impossible to sign' players untill my last 'grab anyone' pick #393 overall. So guess what? He was impossible, some 22-yr-old kid, already undrafted in 2024 and with seven years of HS & COL wants me to slip him "significantly" over $1.8 million. I hope he enjoys his life in Wendy's, Wal-Mart or McDonald's :smile:
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#115 Post by Borealis »

Harpoon wrote:I successfully avoided any 'impossible to sign' players untill my last 'grab anyone' pick #393 overall. So guess what? He was impossible, some 22-yr-old kid, already undrafted in 2024 and with seven years of HS & COL wants me to slip him "significantly" over $1.8 million. I hope he enjoys his life in Wendy's, Wal-Mart or McDonald's :smile:
Yeah... I got 'that guy' at #14 (#368)... I said 'here's $750K - take it or s**k it!'...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#116 Post by Fishermen »

My guy's not even going to get an offer lol, my other four 'paid bonus' guys only want $900,000+ between them so he's sure as not going to get enough to buy a downtown subway ticket
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#117 Post by Vic »

Yeah - I tried to draft folks who I liked and that were easy or very easy to sign, but that strategy fell off after the 7th round.

In the 8th I drafted a first baseman who could be OK, but still looks pretty marginal - and he's "very hard" to sign and now wants a $1.7 million signing bonus.

In the 8th round. Um, no.

I offered $200,000, and that's gonna be take it or leave it.

His future does not include Claymores blue, methinks ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#118 Post by Arroyos »

I don't know why players are willing to sign with Yuma--I mean, who wants to live in the dustbowl thousands of miles from civilized life?--but they do. I've never had a player turn us down when we made an offer. Granted, I usually offer MORE than what they're asking because I hate to haggle and, well, face it, it's only money, fictional money at that. Won't buy you a candy bar at the local vending machine. So I spend, they sign and someday the talent in the minors should rise like cream. That is, theoretically.

Happened once. We're praying for lightening to strike twice.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

#119 Post by KenH »

I'm looking forward to getting home and getting into discussions with my draft picks. X-Factor is going to want 4.4 million which I will dutifully pay him. Drewery wants 2.2. I'll be spending a fair amount but honestly not too bad considering how good my scout thinks we did in this draft.
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#120 Post by Wind Dancers »

I budgeted $4mil for draft picks this season and I should spend around $3.5mil. I have 3-4 high school guys who are impossible to sign, but my first 3 picks should all sign fairly easily.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”