New Scottish GM

Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

New Scottish GM

#1 Post by Vic »

Hello everyone, and greetings from beautiful downtown Edinburgh!

Well, no, not really. I'm actually dipping my toes into international baseball competition from the paradise setting of Central Indiana. So, who am I to presume to take over a storied franchise such as the Claymores? My name is Vic Caleca, and I'm a retired newspaper editor/reporter (nearly 30 years with The Indianapolis Star, the metro daily in Indy). I'm a lifelong Cubs fan, which for most of my years has meant psychic agony and the need for occasional sedatives. Recently, of course, Theo Epstein and Joe Maddon have led us to the promised land. Lest we become too spoiled, though, the Cubbies unspooled last season for us, which is much closer to what I'm used to: raised hopes, late season tragedy, and broken dreams. It was like coming home …

A few personal details: I'm married, we have two grown children, and one dog. We live in a suburb of Indianapolis, and will for the foreseeable future. I do follow the Colts and Pacers, but with nowhere near the fanaticism of the Cubs. I grew up with Ernie Banks as my hero and, in college, was lucky enough to interview him for the school newspaper. He spent nearly two hours with me, talking in the stands at Wrigley, and then he took me out on the field. We went and stood on the pitcher's mound, where he told me the only pitcher who ever made him nervous was Bob Gibson, then walked around the outfield and I touched the ivy. It reaffirmed everything I ever thought of my boyhood hero: he was a great player and an even better human being.

As for OOTP, I've played the game off and on for more than a decade, but only in solo modes -- and never for as much as I would have liked, what with job and family responsibilities. Now, though, I have more time to devote to the hobby, and I'm really looking forward to taking over the Claymores. If you're wondering, I specifically was interested in this franchise because they appear nearly devoid of hope. I didn't want to take over a winning team and promptly trash them due to my relative inexperience and undeniable incompetence. The Claymores, bless 'em, have nowhere to go but up.

You've gotta love the burden of low expectations ...

So, hello again. I'm glad to be here. Try not to laugh too hard at my personnel and player moves and just remember, I'm an old guy: chalk it up to senility.

See you at the ballpark!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: New Scottish GM

#2 Post by Wind Dancers »

Welcome Vic, glad to see someone take the helm for the Claymores! They are definitely primed for some new life in the league.

And don't worry, there are a few "Old Guys" hanging out here and there ;-D
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

Wind Dancers wrote:And don't worry, there are a few "Old Guys" hanging out here and there ;-D
Hey - I resemble that remark!

Welcome Vic!! It’s great to have you aboard! We may be in opposing Leagues, but I look forward to seeing what you do with the Scottish!!

Please don’t be afraid to seek assistance here on the forums - it’s a helpful, friendly crowd!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#4 Post by Sandgnats »

Welcome to the family Vic! Can't wait to see what you do with the Claymores. Sláinte!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Reg »

Welcome, Vic! Great to have you on board. Loving the Ernie Banks story. That must have been a heck of a thrill that day!

I agree that there is a certain bonus fun in rebuilding a team from the bottom. I should know, I've been doing the same for a little bit now !+)

See you at the ballpark soon!
In fact, we play each other early in the season on April 14,15,16. ;-D
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Evas »

Welcome aboard, Vic! You picked a great time to join up.

If you're ever looking to make a deal, Shin Seiki is always open for business.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#7 Post by Coqui »

Welcome aboard, Vic. Your arrival brings an end to my stint as caretaker of the Claymores, a task I quite enjoyed. I think you'll find a flurry of free agent activity in the past few weeks of game time, all of which resulted in an increase in fan interest (all players signed had high popularity) and other than some modest buyouts, no commitments past this year. Good luck, and if you nee to make any deadline deals, hopefully a contending Canton might be in the market.

Good luck!
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#8 Post by Vic »

Thanks, James. I did, indeed, notice the free agent signings - thanks for those. They’re among the few bright spots on the roster. I hope I can follow competently in your footsteps!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by John »

We're thrilled to have you, Vic! Welcome!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Arroyos »

Vic, it's great to have another old guy in this league—and an Edinburgh resident, no less! I was just in your lovely city for the Fringe Festival back in August. Saw some great plays, enjoyed afternoon tea at the Balmoral, hiked around the Bridges at the Firth, toured the "secret gardens," and finally payed to see the Tattoo. My first time in Edinburgh, back in 1976 when I was in an acting company, I couldn't afford the show. It was great to revisit the UK's grandest city.

Like you, I joined PEBA by taking over a losing club. Took me eight losing seasons (several of them record setters!) to get the Bulldozers into the playoffs. So if you want advice on the long slow process of building, let me know.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#11 Post by Vic »

Thanks, Bob. My residence in Edinburgh is the height of virtual decadence, fueled by YouTube and Wikipedia. My current plan is to spend, well, zero percent of my actual time in Scotland (weather is too gloomy by half), and try running the team via Skype. What could go wrong?

As for the rebuild, after a careful look at the roster and the minor league talent pool, I think I’ve hit on a genius course of action: arson for hire.

I need to check on Scotland’s extradition policies first, though ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Arroyos »

Well, Vic, I'm not really in Oceanside either. As those who've been around the PEBAverse for long will confirm, I'm actually housed in a mental institution--Camarillo State Hospital--where dabbling in PEBA is sometimes considered therapy by the head nurse. I swap APBA cards with some of the other patients and, when the Dozers need a big trade, I know an orderly who helps me sneak out to the pay phone and a nurse who can smuggle in a cell phone. So life ain't bad here--though there's no virtue in it!

I suspect the view from my window--mountains and cactus--and the smell of ocean that occasionally wafts up the hillside to me is a bit more fascinating than the flat lands of Indiana. But like you, I long for the spectacular views of the castle and Princess Street in chummy Edinburgh!
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Borealis »

Bulldozers wrote:Well, Vic, I'm not really in Oceanside either. As those who've been around the PEBAverse for long will confirm, I'm actually housed in a mental institution--Camarillo State Hospital--where dabbling in PEBA is sometimes considered therapy by the head nurse.
and THIS, I can guarantee, will be exciting stuff to read!!!

Bob, surly you must need to archive it all... beginning to current state...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Arroyos »

Borealis wrote:
Bulldozers wrote:Well, Vic, I'm not really in Oceanside either. As those who've been around the PEBAverse for long will confirm, I'm actually housed in a mental institution--Camarillo State Hospital--where dabbling in PEBA is sometimes considered therapy by the head nurse.
and THIS, I can guarantee, will be exciting stuff to read!!!

Bob, surly you must need to archive it all... beginning to current state...
Michael, I have it all and plans to publish it, whenever I finish it, as a sort of novel/short story collection.

As always, your enthusiasm is much appreciated. I retire in May and plan to return to the State Hospital stories before then.
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Borealis »

WHAAAAAATTTT... Another PEBA Book!?!?!?! How Awesome!!! And congrats on the retirement!

I can't wait for the return to the Hospital...

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”