Weekday Blockbuster Shakes up WV Winter Meeting Plans

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Weekday Blockbuster Shakes up WV Winter Meeting Plans

#1 Post by Tyler »

by Patrick Bailey, Charleston Gazette

Charleston, WV – On Monday, Coal Sox GM Tyler Babcock sent an e-mail to PEBA’s twenty-three other general managers titled “My Shopping List.” The e-mail contained a list of West Virginia’s offseason needs, including the names of several players the Coal Sox were eager to trade away. Babcock stated at today’s press conference that the intent of the e-mail was to give other general managers time to look over the list and come to the Winter Meetings with offers already prepared. Well, this unorthodox move has already paid off for West Virginia, and the GMs have yet to set foot in Canton.

The reason Babcock was taking questions from the press in the first place today was to announce yet another PEBA blockbuster trade. The Coal Sox sent first baseman Michizane Kouki, starter Tim Higgins, utility infielder Jorge Ortiz, and a minor-leaguer to Connecticut in return for right fielder Bernando Marin and a minor leaguer. The teams also swapped draft picks, with Connecticut receiving West Virginia’s second pick and the Coal Sox receiving Connecticut’s sixth selection.

When asked for the rationale behind the trade, Babcock was succinct. “Improving the ballclub,” he stated with a grin, then continued. “Obviously we had too many players for one spot [first base]. By leveraging our depth at that position, we were able to essentially trade an over-priced starter for a star right-fielder.”

That may be a fuzzy way of thinking about the deal. I’m not sure Babcock would pass many economics classes, but he does have a point: Kouki was useless to the Coal Sox. Marin, the centerpiece for West Virginia, is the second star slugger acquired by West Virginia this off-season (after Ernest Kaufman). He has experience playing both center and right field, but is expected to patrol right exclusively.

The minor league player West Virginia will receive is twenty-three year-old Craig Rogers. He spent the last two years in AAA, compiling a 3.11 ERA. With Higgin’s departure creating an opening for a fifth starter, Rogers immediately becomes the favorite.

As the Coal Sox head to the Winter Meetings, Babcock’s wish list has been significantly altered. When asked by a reporter at the press conference what he would seek to accomplish at the meetings, he stated that he’d spent most of his time “wining and dining” a select few free agents. When asked about the reported five trade negotiations West Virginia is currently in, Babcock stated that “today’s deal radically alters some of our other talks, but we’re always negotiating.”

The only glaring hole left on the Coal Sox roster is at catcher, where Babcock is expected to hand backup Victor Salgardo the everyday role. But if there’s another big name dangled out at the meetings, don’t be surprised to see Babcock land another big fish.
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by John »

One interesting thing I noted in this article: it defines that our 2008 Winter Meetings are being held in Canton, OH. I like that touch. ;-D
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Tyler »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:One interesting thing I noted in this article: it defines that our 2008 Winter Meetings are being held in Canton, OH. I like that touch. ;-D
I decided it was a win-win when I was writing the article:

1. It's a "bonus" for Brad
2. I'm sure he'll run with it and comment about how stupid the league has to be to collect in Canton in December :grin:
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Tyler »

On a related note, where were the meetings last year? I feel as though it was stated at some point...
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by John »

Darnit, I should remember this. It was definitely stated. Was it Charleston, SC? I'll have to go back and check.

See, this is why we need an official league historian. I would pay good bonus CP to anyone who feels like tackling that job full-on.
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Tyler »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Darnit, I should remember this. It was definitely stated. Was it Charleston, SC? I'll have to go back and check.

See, this is why we need an official league historian. I would pay good bonus CP to anyone who feels like tackling that job full-on.
Nope, looks like it was Louisville, KY.
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Aha! You nailed it. You know what that means: you'd make a perfect PEBA league historian. ;)
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Tyler »

Borealis - Commissioner wrote:Aha! You nailed it. You know what that means: you'd make a perfect PEBA league historian. ;)
If but I had the time...
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Return to “League News and Articles”