NOTB Draft Day Special Picks 2-6

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NOTB Draft Day Special Picks 2-6

#1 Post by Reg »

By Scott Plack

Round 2:LF Cal Edwards, Right handed Tacoma, Washington

Edwards is a popular player who should hit for a decent average and a decent number of home runs. Fans can expect to see Edwards somewhere near the middle of the order and at the top of the RBI leader board for the team. Edwards is a smart, hard working ball player and will show up do his job day in and day out.

When asked about his selection by New Orleans meant to him, Edwards said, "It means I get to do what I love, in a place that has fans that love this sport. I mean, I am pretty lucky that work for me is playing this game. I looked forward to meeting with Harmon and the rest of the players in the following weeks."

Round 3: SP Edward Coleman, Right handed San Bernardino, CA

Coleman is the second part of the Trendsetters' 1-2 punch. Coleman who is a 6'1 surfer from Cali. sports a great fastball. He compliments his fastball by pinpoint location of his slider and changeup. Coleman is only a year older than Davis and Tanner hopes that he has put together the foundation of his staff for years to come. Coleman has a laid back attitude, and exudes confidence on the mound.

Round 4: MR Conan McCullough, Right Handed Florence, KY

Affectionately known by his outfield fan club as "The Barbarian", Conan will most likely find himself in the role of being the set up man for the NO bullpen. McCullough throws the ball hard topping out at about 98 mph. He is especially adept at retiring right handed hitters, although lefties don't have much luck against him either.

"Yeah, I have fan club that likes to call me "the Barbarian". I really don't mind, I mean, thats better than being known as O'Brein, or being called Mr. Latenight. I mean if anything you can call me "Mr. Goodnight", because when I take the mound, batters will be going down. I am here to win, and I expect that from everyone around me," rambled Conan.

Round 5: 3B Augusto Valdez, Switch Kensington, NH

Valdez. a corner infielder, has the ability to fill in a couple of different positions. For know, sources indicate that he will make his home at 1B, although he could find significant time at both 3B or DH. Valdez has average contact ability and slightly above average power. Valdez's achilles heel may be his tendency to strike out.

When asked about his position preference, Augusto said, "I don't care where I play, as long as we are winning ball games I will play anywhere I am asked. Am I a good third baseman, sure, can I play first, you bet. Can I hit as the DH, you know it. I wanna be an everyday player, I will let the manager decide where that is.

Round 6: 2B Jason Lloyd, Left handed Baltimore, Maryland

While the draft pool seemed pretty shallow at second base, Tanner feels great about the pick he got in Jason Lloyd. Lloyd does not fit the prototypical size for a second baseman, standing at 6'4, but he still very capable of fielding his position. Lloyd, describes himself as deceptively quick, pointing out the fact that while he isn't the fastest sprinter, he can steal bases with the best of them.

"Yeah, I won't beat you in a foot race, but I will beat you at the mind games. Stealing bases is 90 % mental anyway, 9 % guts, and 1 % speed. I do my homework, I learn when a pitcher likes to throw his curveball or change and I take advantage of it. I like the thrill of playing with the pitcher and catcher, making them worry that I might be taking off. As a distraction I can only help the hitter.

Tanner couldn't have said it better, indicating that Lloyd was the type of player who fits great as the first or second batter of a lineup.

Check back tomorrow for Draft Day 2.

Return to “League News and Articles”