Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2026, Season 20

Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2026, Season 20

#286 Post by Reg »

Evas wrote:Had to pull the plug on the Hancock experiment. In 7 starts and 38.1 IP, he posted an ERA+ of 57 and struck out only 4. I think it's time for the GOAT to hang 'em up.

The newly acquired Bryan Bedell will slide in to the #5 spot in my rotation in place of Hancock. I'm hoping I can get 90 ERA+ performance out of him.

I'm trying to avoid bringing up the kids (Barrios and Castillo) in the middle of a pennant run.
Wow, PEBA is really rolling over into a new generation. Even the best of his era might be playing his last games. A big moment/shift !
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#287 Post by Borealis »

Trendsetters wrote:
Evas wrote:Had to pull the plug on the Hancock experiment. In 7 starts and 38.1 IP, he posted an ERA+ of 57 and struck out only 4. I think it's time for the GOAT to hang 'em up.

The newly acquired Bryan Bedell will slide in to the #5 spot in my rotation in place of Hancock. I'm hoping I can get 90 ERA+ performance out of him.

I'm trying to avoid bringing up the kids (Barrios and Castillo) in the middle of a pennant run.
Wow, PEBA is really rolling over into a new generation. Even the best of his era might be playing his last games. A big moment/shift !
Yes, good Call Reg! It makes me feel old - when we took over Aurora in the 2011 season, ‘Fireworks’ was just beginning to make his PEBA mark - with us battling against him every season for Desert Hills supremecy - first as he led Tempe to it’s Amazing Title, and then over the years as he’s led the Bears. PEBA/Aurora history will never be told completely without that rivalry (to which, the Borealis have had the upper hand - or so it feels)... and to think, if it hadn’t been my kindness in letting the Tempe GM post the deal, he would have ended up in Aurora and not Bakersfield...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#288 Post by Evas »

Trendsetters wrote:

I hope Tempe picks him up. I think it would be fitting for him to throw his last pitch there.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#289 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:I hope Tempe picks him up. I think it would be fitting for him to throw his last pitch there.
Long Beach... :-P
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#290 Post by Evas »

I'm trying to not sound bitter, but the injuries continue to mount. This time it was my #2 SP, Victor Latham, who was having a career year having posted a sparkling 1.90ERA and 190 ERA+ in 22 starts - fresh off a major contract extension.

He'll miss the rest of 2026 and a good chunk of 2027 with a UCL tear. That's the 6th season ending injury to my pitching staff and the 4th member of my rotation lost for the season. All 4 of them will be out at the beginning of 2027 as well.

I'm also missing 4 of my starting position players at the moment. Though fortunately I should get all of them back at some point in 2026.

But that might not matter because 2026 is looking like a lost cause. 2027 is at risk too. The new injury setting is so severe that it could force me in to a rebuild. Just brutal.

Screw it, I'll bring up the kid. Time to see if top SP prospect Jorge Castillo can save the season for SS.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#291 Post by kiersteadmo »

Evas wrote:I'm trying to not sound bitter, but the injuries continue to mount. This time it was my #2 SP, Victor Latham, who was having a career year having posted a sparkling 1.90ERA and 190 ERA+ in 22 starts - fresh off a major contract extension.

He'll miss the rest of 2026 and a good chunk of 2027 with a UCL tear. That's the 6th season ending injury to my pitching staff and the 4th member of my rotation lost for the season. All 4 of them will be out at the beginning of 2027 as well.

I'm also missing 4 of my starting position players at the moment. Though fortunately I should get all of them back at some point in 2026.

But that might not matter because 2026 is looking like a lost cause. 2027 is at risk too. The new injury setting is so severe that it could force me in to a rebuild. Just brutal.

Screw it, I'll bring up the kid. Time to see if top SP prospect Jorge Castillo can save the season for SS.

I know we said at the start of the season we would keep an eye on injuries and go from there. I think all of us would agree that we could or should tone it down next season.

ATM we have 124 Injured players Palm Spring and Evas lead the list with 10 and 12 injuries each. The League average is 4.7 injuries per team. Of these a massive percentage are Pitchers. 78 of the 124 are pitchers at 62.9% of the injured list. This is the current report in game. To me that is a hell of a change form the season when I played. I know this happens when we upgrade versions but this seems much worse than before. What do you all think?

On a positive note Duluth and Crystal lake keep fighting for the top spot and looks like it will be a fun ride to see how it turn out.
Mark Kierstead II
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#292 Post by Denny »

Warriors wrote:
Evas wrote:I'm trying to not sound bitter, but the injuries continue to mount. This time it was my #2 SP, Victor Latham, who was having a career year having posted a sparkling 1.90ERA and 190 ERA+ in 22 starts - fresh off a major contract extension.

I know we said at the start of the season we would keep an eye on injuries and go from there. I think all of us would agree that we could or should tone it down next season.

ATM we have 124 Injured players Palm Spring and Evas lead the list with 10 and 12 injuries each. The League average is 4.7 injuries per team. Of these a massive percentage are Pitchers. 78 of the 124 are pitchers at 62.9% of the injured list. This is the current report in game. To me that is a hell of a change form the season when I played. I know this happens when we upgrade versions but this seems much worse than before. What do you all think?
I would tend to agree. With the current setting it is just a struggle to survive from one sim to the next. I think it also favors rich teams who have the resources to afford lots of redundancy (note Shin Seiki still has 76 wins, second-most in the SL, despite having been totally decimated--a smaller team would have been completely out of the running by this point).
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#293 Post by MikeB »

Seems our beloved Constitution link is down. I am wondering about stadium upgrades. With the league batting averages in the dreadfully boring .240s, I am considering building a hitters park to help the effort.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#294 Post by Borealis »

Aurora has been more fortunate about the injury bug (Knock-Knock), but certainly we've had our share. ''Javelin' has missed the entire year - ending his time with Aurora (he won't be vesting that contract). He's just the most prominent name of the relief corp to spend time on the DL - Pedro Vega, Lando Lagerveld, Felix Pena, Julio Martinez and 'Doberman' all spending multiple-weeks, with the reliever average (minus Peterson) being 30-days.

Also Carlos Rivera is out for the remainder of the year - and his replacement has a 3-week injury - allowing for Hugh 'Mister' Jones (he's got a thing, going on) to make his PEBA debut. Mike Provost had a minor deal that pushed a start back... with a slew of injuries that were '1-day' deals for the pitchers...

In keeping with the apparent norm, it's been pitchers that have dominated the Aurora DL, but River Pope and Paul Carlisle have spent 3 and 2 weeks, respectively, on the DL...

I'm curious why the disparity between teams? Maybe the amount of rest? I do believe I grant my starters more rest over a year than most teams. I do end up with some odd line-ups at times (like the past week when 'Fido' had an off day, back-up catcher Gutierrez was DHing and DH Pedro Ferringo was catching - oh, he's on OFer by trade), but to me, it feels like it's mostly paid off over the years.
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#295 Post by Sandgnats »

Borealis wrote:Aurora has been more fortunate about the injury bug (Knock-Knock), but certainly we've had our share. ''Javelin' has missed the entire year - ending his time with Aurora (he won't be vesting that contract). He's just the most prominent name of the relief corp to spend time on the DL - Pedro Vega, Lando Lagerveld, Felix Pena, Julio Martinez and 'Doberman' all spending multiple-weeks, with the reliever average (minus Peterson) being 30-days.

Also Carlos Rivera is out for the remainder of the year - and his replacement has a 3-week injury - allowing for Hugh 'Mister' Jones (he's got a thing, going on) to make his PEBA debut. Mike Provost had a minor deal that pushed a start back... with a slew of injuries that were '1-day' deals for the pitchers...

In keeping with the apparent norm, it's been pitchers that have dominated the Aurora DL, but River Pope and Paul Carlisle have spent 3 and 2 weeks, respectively, on the DL...

I'm curious why the disparity between teams? Maybe the amount of rest? I do believe I grant my starters more rest over a year than most teams. I do end up with some odd line-ups at times (like the past week when 'Fido' had an off day, back-up catcher Gutierrez was DHing and DH Pedro Ferringo was catching - oh, he's on OFer by trade), but to me, it feels like it's mostly paid off over the years.
I am in agreement with Mike. Rest is very important and so is rotating your roster. I moved my rotation to 6 starters for a part of the summer to get some extra rest to the guys. This is especially important if the game is enhancing setting to increase injury frequency. Also, don't over look the trainer. One of the first things I did was fire the trainer when I took over the Sandgnats because I noticed some injuries popping up more than others. And then luck.... luck as well.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#296 Post by Leones »

We pretty much run 6 starters across all our rotations. Started doing this last year when we were getting long streaks of games with no breaks. Overall its worked ok. One nice benefit was that we ended up being deeper so that we could flex back to a standard 5 man rotation for the playoffs and periods when we were short due to injuries or had some breaks in the schedule.

The only real downside was that we left the AAA club weakened by pulling some guys up earlier. But that will get backfilled over a few seasons from draftees working up through the farm. It also makes it a but tougher to keep the rest of the team rounded out but we're lucky in that we've got guys who can cover a number of spots right now. It also meant going with a thinner bullpen which may be an issue in the post season.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#297 Post by Borealis »

Borealis wrote:Also Carlos Rivera is out for the remainder of the year - and his replacement has a 3-week injury - allowing for Hugh 'Mister' Jones (he's got a thing, going on) to make his PEBA debut.
Mister, Mister Jones, MisterJones, MisterJones, MisterJones... He's got a thing...

Two starts, 14 IP, 5 H, 5 BB, 5 K, 0 R - over the 'Gnats and Codgers... I'm not going to fool myself into thinking he's a savior (he's not), but it's always nice for an underdog to achieve every now and then...
Borealis wrote:... DH Pedro Ferringo was catching - oh, he's on OFer by trade
Yeah... Pedro has caught four games now (and played 2 innings in the OF) - the latest was 'Train Rollin''s 1-hit, CG shut out of Crystal Lake...

Back on the injury trail: Rob Imhoff, Aurora's #1 pick, whose college season ended injured, has developed a little shoulder tendonitis, so back on the DL for a little preventative medicine. Since coming off the DL originally, Imhoff was 1-1, with a 1.14 ERA in 6 games, with 39 K and 10 BB - with teams hitting .138 against...
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#298 Post by Wind Dancers »

Have been operating with a rotation made up of 4 starters and a reliever for a while now due to injuries. Finally got one of my 3 starters on the DL (2 season-ending) back only for one of my current starters to get hurt AGAIN and will be out for the rest of the season.

Yet in a season with all of these crazy pitching injuries my top player, and most notorious hospital patient over the past few seasons Jose Escobido, has not spent any time on the DL.

I really like the day-to-day injury system as it's realistic. But the chunk of long-term injuries that affect pitchers a majority of the time are a little much.

I'd be interested to see what some these players injury proneness looks like.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#299 Post by Sandgnats »

Congrats to Rob Raines who hit homerun number 500 on 9/4/2026! :clap:
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#300 Post by DanD »

Sandgnats wrote:Congrats to Rob Raines who hit homerun number 500 on 9/4/2026! :clap:
Woo!
:wave:
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”