Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2026, Season 20

Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2026, Season 20

#136 Post by Wind Dancers »

Borealis wrote:Aside from the Top 3 in the SL (thus far) - Aurora, Bakersfield and the Evil Evas, all treading water and taking their turn at the top, and a very competitive - and large group, below, bunched peri-.500 - which I guess all qualifies as a Neat.

What's Not So Neat is the upcoming draft. Can I just say (once again) that the new scouting system (sucks?) has every player looking (practically) exactly the same. Aside from the top few players, they all kinda look alike - and there is seemingly no mechanism to (easily?) distinguish between them. We can toggle them individually and see their ratings at their currant level, or SA or A levels, but we can not even look at the draft list under those conditions and weed out the 2-3-1-1-2 guys who are rated 2-3-1-1-2 at SA (as opposed to the 2-3-1-1-2 guy who rates as a 8-5-3-6-7 at SA, whom might be worth a shot). Maybe I exaggerate, but looking to draft a guy with a '3' contact in the first round is counter-intuitive and depressing...

I LITERALLY just discovered this - go to the draft pool and if you look at potential ratings, you see everyone with their current PEBA ratings. Click on a player and change his scouting to a lower level (say A Ball), then return to the Draft Pool, and now the players all show their ratings based on A Ball, not PEBA. I don't know whether this helps or not, I just feel lost... and why isn't that toggle on the Draft Pool page?

I have a sneaking feeling this is going to be a very long draft... Aurora just might be willing to trade picks for prospects...
As someone who was open to the new scouting before, I tend to agree with this statement. As neat as it is to see how good a minor leaguer is in their respective league, I haven't actually found much use for the feature. In PEBA it does help view the upper echelon of players, but it makes every other player feel average at best. And the draft (one of my favorite parts of OOTP) feels very underwhelming, and that includes looking back at last season's draft as well. I'd be interested in what the league members as a whole think about this.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#137 Post by MikeB »

While the ratings are definitely in play here, I found something that might be more depressing, particularly to those of us who have extra draft picks. Going into sortable stats for college players (setting it at 150 AB) and a quick look at leaders in high school finds that very very few are draft eligible this year. There are 16 year old sluggers and more 18 and 19-year old college standouts than 21 year olds. This may also just be a very bad draft. That said, those guys who are posting good stats aren't any better in the ratings.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#138 Post by Ghosts »

Any way we could get the reports and stat lab updated? I am traveling so can't download files, but would like to be able to make a draft list. It's so time intensive that I am already in the danger zone of not having much of a list.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#139 Post by Sandgnats »

Bears wrote:Any way we could get the reports and stat lab updated? I am traveling so can't download files, but would like to be able to make a draft list. It's so time intensive that I am already in the danger zone of not having much of a list.
I am too as well.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#140 Post by Wind Dancers »

Sandgnats wrote:
Bears wrote:Any way we could get the reports and stat lab updated? I am traveling so can't download files, but would like to be able to make a draft list. It's so time intensive that I am already in the danger zone of not having much of a list.
I am too as well.

I also need to be switched over to Toyama on Statslab.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#141 Post by kiersteadmo »

end of the year awards are somehow allowing votes also
Mark Kierstead II
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#142 Post by Leones »

Wind Dancers wrote:...And the draft (one of my favorite parts of OOTP) feels very underwhelming, and that includes looking back at last season's draft as well. I'd be interested in what the league members as a whole think about this.
I'd long ago stopped relying on the scouts assesments of players abilities and the player ratings. ( I do use the scout assesments of character qualities when judging players ) After several OOTP update cycles it became apparent that these were too inconsistent across OOTP versions and not suitable for the long term, farm-based approach I wanted to take with grooming talent for the club. For clubs that like to build through trades these changes probably didn't matter much. In fact it was probably benefical as they would be better in position to swap parts as they changed in vaue.

I also found that my clubs always seemed to have some guys with poor ratings who always seemed to excel. So I tailored my approach to finding more guys like that.

I'm of the opinion that OOTP really should have rated the draft pool guys doubly, against each other and against other minor leaguers (perhaps the A level) to allow better comparisons. But they didn't apparently (I haven't looked yet).

This might be a good year to let OOTP auto select your draft picks if you're short on time to make a list and/or not comfortable with the ratings. At the very least one would hope the automated selection would be able to rank them in some semi reasonable way. I was thinking about it myself. But this seems a perfect year to test my system to see how it does. I gotta get cranking on that list! :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

#143 Post by kiersteadmo »

l will auto.draft this year, one because l may not make it and two the draft this year looks horrible. Not saying we cannot find a few diamonds in the rough.
Mark Kierstead II
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#144 Post by Vic »

Claymore Cuts -

The good: Excellent work out of the bullpen led to two wins and two one run losses over the past week for the Claymores. Add to that a blow out win, and two big losses and you have the scope of the week. Chad Stewart pitched out of his mind, and got saddled with losses....sorry Chad.

The bad: Starting pitching....just everyone....except Stewart and Dumont.

It's good to get a chance to take in the roster with scouts opinion. Salvador Rodriguez and Sixto Duenas have been bitter disappointments and could be had for a song...and a prospect...but mostly a song...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#145 Post by Leones »

Finished up rating the draft pools last night and I gotta agree with the consensus concerning the talent level. This years draft pool is a god bit shallower than those of the reent past. There are a few intersting bits however, even in this shallow pool. See you at the draft! :)
Patrick Hildreth

Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#146 Post by Denny »

Leones wrote:
Wind Dancers wrote:...And the draft (one of my favorite parts of OOTP) feels very underwhelming, and that includes looking back at last season's draft as well. I'd be interested in what the league members as a whole think about this.
I'd long ago stopped relying on the scouts assesments of players abilities and the player ratings. ( I do use the scout assesments of character qualities when judging players ) After several OOTP update cycles it became apparent that these were too inconsistent across OOTP versions and not suitable for the long term, farm-based approach I wanted to take with grooming talent for the club. For clubs that like to build through trades these changes probably didn't matter much. In fact it was probably benefical as they would be better in position to swap parts as they changed in vaue.

I also found that my clubs always seemed to have some guys with poor ratings who always seemed to excel. So I tailored my approach to finding more guys like that.

I'm of the opinion that OOTP really should have rated the draft pool guys doubly, against each other and against other minor leaguers (perhaps the A level) to allow better comparisons. But they didn't apparently (I haven't looked yet).

This might be a good year to let OOTP auto select your draft picks if you're short on time to make a list and/or not comfortable with the ratings. At the very least one would hope the automated selection would be able to rank them in some semi reasonable way. I was thinking about it myself. But this seems a perfect year to test my system to see how it does. I gotta get cranking on that list! :)
My view is similar to the Hon. Cuban GM's....I think the new way scouting is displayed makes the draft more interesting and realistic--apart from a handful of obvious studs, it's hard to tell which ones are the most outstanding prospects, and forces you to reply more on their college/HS statistical performance to differentiate them. Remember, too, that scouting randomness has been increased, meaning that our scouts all see things even more differently than before. I like it. The fact that the team with a stranglehold on our division for a decade-plus hates the new rating system is a bonus :angelic-green:
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#147 Post by Sandgnats »

Warriors wrote:l will auto.draft this year, one because l may not make it and two the draft this year looks horrible. Not saying we cannot find a few diamonds in the rough.
likewise, I will be away this weekend.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#148 Post by John »

Claymores wrote:Claymore Cuts -

The good: Excellent work out of the bullpen led to two wins and two one run losses over the past week for the Claymores. Add to that a blow out win, and two big losses and you have the scope of the week. Chad Stewart pitched out of his mind, and got saddled with losses....sorry Chad.

The bad: Starting pitching....just everyone....except Stewart and Dumont.

It's good to get a chance to take in the roster with scouts opinion. Salvador Rodriguez and Sixto Duenas have been bitter disappointments and could be had for a song...and a prospect...but mostly a song...
I quoted this simply to point out that I love "Claymore Cuts" as a Claymores weekly recap title. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#149 Post by Borealis »

Codgers wrote:The fact that the team with a stranglehold on our division for a decade-plus hates the new rating system is a bonus :angelic-green:
:shake: :puke-front: :shake: :-P :shake: :puke-front: :shake:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#150 Post by Leones »

Does anyody know why so many players appear in the statslab draft pool but not in the ootp draft pool?

Close to 90% of the guys I have in my first round list aren't appearing in the ootp draft pool. I had to verify these guys existed using their player ids. They do exist in ootp, they just don't appear in the draft pool there.

It's a bit of a problem becuase there is no way to judge their signability which only apears in ootp. They're getting picked anyway, these Marcel Marceau wannabes. The smart ones will sign.
Patrick Hildreth

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”