Who already has OOTP?

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by klewis »

Speaking of scouts, do you all think we should put a cap on scouting expenses? Or is it a total free market? Currently I have no preference to a cap or no cap. But I just wanted to bring it to the attention of others.

With no cap, teams are free to use their scouting budget however they please. This can cause some type of guessing game. For example, one owner may feel good that he is investing $10 million dollars overall into scouting. But then he realizes everyone else is investing $20-30 million dollars. Since he is only $10 million, his scouting reports are less accurate.

Scout ratings matters but the other contributor to scouting experience is your team's investment in relation to other teams.

Example A
1. $5 million
2. $10 million
3. $10 million
4. $12 million
5. $30 million

Assuming all scouts have the same ratings, Team 5 would get the most accurate reports. Team 1 gets the worst.

Example B
1. $5 million
2. $5 million
3. $4 million
4. $3 million
5. $2 million

In this example, Team 1 and 2 would get the most accurate reports.

So you can see how having a max cap and no cap can affect things. It's not how much money you spend. It's all about spending in relation to other teams.
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Hitmen »

2 reasons to not have a cap (actually, I'm sure there are more, but here's 2)

1, not every scout has the same ratings, so money spent != accuracy at any of the 4 levels, since every scout will favor different things too (tools, etc).

2, a team that puts $30 million into scouting has $30 million less to spend on FAs, etc. So, I'm all for someone being able to spend the rest of their available budget into scouting, as I'm not sure spending that much is going to be beneficial in the long run anyways.

Since you can't use your extra cash in scouting, you have to have available budget room to overspend in scouting. And if you use up that room to scout, more power to you, but I think the payoff won't be worth the outlay. Spending 6x the league average in no way equates to 6x "more accurate" scouting reports.

Actually, I take that back. It does. Please, everyone spend the rest of your budget on scouting. Show those FAs that there is less available cash to spend. :grin:
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by klewis »

Yeah it was just topic thrown out there. I'm ok with whatever rules we go by. I'm sure after we go through our first season of OOTP9, we'll fix whatever flaws we may find.

By the way, FLA owner Drew Streets is checking with his legal team to see if non-monetary "gifts" can be used without counting agaisnt the budget. Do I hear free cruises?

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”