Neat stuff sim thread - PEBA 2025 - Season 19

DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Neat stuff sim thread - PEBA 2025 - Season 19

#166 Post by DanD »

Yikes, Duane. Does he do that every sim or does he sometimes just go off the reservation?

Arlington's bullpen churn continues. We've added two more veterans (via Free Agency this time) but the trick will be getting them enough low leverage innings for them to get into playing shape in order to actually help... Speaking of, Scott Morris seems to have shaken off a the worst of the rust and was productive this week. Hopefully his plate discipline comes around last since that K/PA rate is hilarious.
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#167 Post by Duane »

Bureaucrats wrote:Yikes, Duane. Does he do that every sim or does he sometimes just go off the reservation?
Well, under v17 he (Bob Arnold) has not followed the rotation I set in place (even if I tweak it to 'try' to match what he is doing), and I have been getting lots of FA declining negotiations claiming they will not play for B.Arnold. Not sure if its the version tweaking personalities or the manager becoming a curmudgeon as he ages.

I have been commenting under Team news Cheesy Chatter. I have a theory that Maes is faking his injury just so he doesn't get abused by Arnold.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#168 Post by Sandgnats »

Thoroughbreds wrote:
Bureaucrats wrote:Yikes, Duane. Does he do that every sim or does he sometimes just go off the reservation?
Well, under v17 he (Bob Arnold) has not followed the rotation I set in place (even if I tweak it to 'try' to match what he is doing), and I have been getting lots of FA declining negotiations claiming they will not play for B.Arnold. Not sure if its the version tweaking personalities or the manager becoming a curmudgeon as he ages.

I have been commenting under Team news Cheesy Chatter. I have a theory that Maes is faking his injury just so he doesn't get abused by Arnold.
Pink slip on the way?
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#169 Post by Ghosts »

Thoroughbreds wrote: I have a theory that Maes is faking his injury just so he doesn't get abused by Arnold.
He told me before I traded him that he feels like our rotation of the future is weak. He presented a plan where I could get a couple young arms, he would fake an injury, and then come back to Bakersfield in Free Agency with a rested arm. Mwahahaha...
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#170 Post by Duane »

Bears wrote:
Thoroughbreds wrote: I have a theory that Maes is faking his injury just so he doesn't get abused by Arnold.
He told me before I traded him that he feels like our rotation of the future is weak. He presented a plan where I could get a couple young arms, he would fake an injury, and then come back to Bakersfield in Free Agency with a rested arm. Mwahahaha...
:-? :-? :-?
:shake: :shake: :shake:
:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
(note to self, add Bears to list with Florida and New Orleans)
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#171 Post by Coqui »

Long time, no talk for the Longshoremen. An injury-triggered 6-19 July has likely killed the already small chance that the retooled Longshoremen had of swiping a playoff spot. Here's the litany of injuries to offensive players:

May 18: starting 2B Gonzalo Gonzalez (286/358/429) out for 4-5 months
May 29: starting SS Chris Long (233/263/331 and $27.5M salary) out for 6 weeks
May 29: AAA starting 2B Earl O'Quinn (270/280/453) out for 5 weeks
July 17: starting LF Gabriel Martinez (266/315/415) out for 5 weeks
July 19: emergency Canton starting SS Dmitri Hill (297/333/366 AAA, 236/260/250 ML) out for one week

The Martinez injury hurt an already disappointing offense, but the deep injury cuts to the organization's middle infield depth in rapid succession meant the Longshoremen had to sign and claim washed-up veterans like 2B Ron Baldwin (230/269/284 in 21 games of emergency spot duty) and John Foster (179/244/387 for Crystal Lake) just to
field the middle infield positions.

For the season, the Longshoremen pitching staff has been a revelation, currently possessing the 5th best staff ERA in the Imperial League despite pitching in a homer-friendly Svab Memorial Stadium and in front of a defense that injuries have transformed from solid to suspect. The offense has been disappointing, ranking 11th in the Imperial League. If it weren't for Wunderkind candidate Vaclav Verlaan (270/339/553 with 25 HR), the offense would be completely unwatchable.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#172 Post by Borealis »

Thoroughbreds wrote: :-? :-? :-?
:shake: :shake: :shake:
:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
(note to self, add Bears to list with Florida and New Orleans)
The Bears are used to being on one of those lists...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#173 Post by MikeB »

This definitely applies as neat sim stuff: 2025 6th-rounder John Sullivan with two no-hitters so far, one in his professional debut at Homer (SA) and one in his last start at Kingston (A).
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#174 Post by Alleghenies »

Longshoremen wrote:Long time, no talk for the Longshoremen. An injury-triggered 6-19 July has likely killed the already small chance that the retooled Longshoremen had of swiping a playoff spot. Here's the litany of injuries to offensive players:

May 18: starting 2B Gonzalo Gonzalez (286/358/429) out for 4-5 months
May 29: starting SS Chris Long (233/263/331 and $27.5M salary) out for 6 weeks
May 29: AAA starting 2B Earl O'Quinn (270/280/453) out for 5 weeks
July 17: starting LF Gabriel Martinez (266/315/415) out for 5 weeks
July 19: emergency Canton starting SS Dmitri Hill (297/333/366 AAA, 236/260/250 ML) out for one week

The Martinez injury hurt an already disappointing offense, but the deep injury cuts to the organization's middle infield depth in rapid succession meant the Longshoremen had to sign and claim washed-up veterans like 2B Ron Baldwin (230/269/284 in 21 games of emergency spot duty) and John Foster (179/244/387 for Crystal Lake) just to
field the middle infield positions.

For the season, the Longshoremen pitching staff has been a revelation, currently possessing the 5th best staff ERA in the Imperial League despite pitching in a homer-friendly Svab Memorial Stadium and in front of a defense that injuries have transformed from solid to suspect. The offense has been disappointing, ranking 11th in the Imperial League. If it weren't for Wunderkind candidate Vaclav Verlaan (270/339/553 with 25 HR), the offense would be completely unwatchable.

You should claim John Exley. Just saying..
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#175 Post by MikeB »

Three extra-inning losses (including one with a 3-run lead in the 10th) and another lost in the bottom of the 8th. Can't push the panic button over that but bullpen was definitely the problem this week. Two of the rookies got lit up. Hoping they aren't busts but so far don't look good.

Also injuries piling up. Down to two OFs for a couple games and have both 3Bmen out until mid-September.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#176 Post by Wind Dancers »

1-6 sim to forget.

Hartford is slowly falling behind that last wildcard spot despite finally having a healthy roster. We just can't do enough against the strong teams in the IL.
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
MikeB
Triple-A
Triple-A

#177 Post by MikeB »

Definitely in free fall now. Even after activating Gomez, I have 11 players off the San Juan roster on the DL. As replacements, I've offered FAs exactly what they are asking and so far they haven't signed either.
Mike Best
San Juan Coqui
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#178 Post by Borealis »

Definitely some interesting races heating up!! The IL is tight all around, and a hot Duluth team and s slightly struggling Evil Empire 1.0 and 2.0 has the SL Race for the Top getting a bit interesting as well... And don't turn your back on those 'Gnats - they're making a push...

So my question is: We have September 1 arriving at the next sim - and the minor league schedules seem seriously off compared to the past - especially AAA. Is Sept. 1 still the 40-man roster date this season?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#179 Post by Alleghenies »

Borealis wrote:Definitely some interesting races heating up!! The IL is tight all around, and a hot Duluth team and s slightly struggling Evil Empire 1.0 and 2.0 has the SL Race for the Top getting a bit interesting as well... And don't turn your back on those 'Gnats - they're making a push...

So my question is: We have September 1 arriving at the next sim - and the minor league schedules seem seriously off compared to the past - especially AAA. Is Sept. 1 still the 40-man roster date this season?
AAA went late last year also.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#180 Post by Borealis »

After another frustrating stretch v. The Rising Sun - 5-5 against Okinawa, Neo-Tokyo, and Toyama (saved only by sweeping the Win-D's), that leaves Aurora at 28-20 v. their Japanese rivals. The stretch, equaled by the Evil Evas 5-5 (in their past 10), puts Aurora 2 GB of the Evas for the Top Dog spot and 1.5 games ahead of Duluth - with Crystal Lake quickly upwardly moving 4.5 back of Duluth. Needless to say, the race for the Top Two remains wide open - especially considering Aurora's 3-6 record v. the Warriors.

For the Borealis, who've struggled at times - despite their record, what is the difference on the year? Well, sports fans - hold onto your hats:

Yuma and Reno.

Yup. You heard that straight.

Aurora is 20-1 against their division rivals, while The Evil Evas are 15-7 against the Zeph-dozers. Duluth is 12-8 and the 'Gnats are 11-8. Without the aid of their division buddies (Thanks Bob and Scott), Aurora would be irrelevant in this part of the post-season race.

Looking ahead:
- Aurora has 6 with the 'Gnats and 3 each with Shin Seiki and Duluth - both at Northern Lights, plus 3 at Reno and 4 at Yuma. If you wanted to throw in there, 4 each with the scrappy Bears and Win-D's fighting for a wild card.
- The Evas have just the 3 at Aurora and 4 at Crystal Lake - and 4 with Reno and 2 with Yuma. They also have 4 each with the scrappy Bears and Win-D's fighting for a wild card.
- Duluth, like SS, has just the Aurora series and 3 at CL, while playing 6 with Yuma. They have 4 wth Toyama and 3 with the Bears.
- Crystal Lake has the two series with Aurora, a series with Duluth and a 4-gamer with the Evas, Stateside. They do not play Toyama or Bakersfield, but the have an odd 7-game series v. Reno at home (4-3 on the season with the Zephyrs - whom they last played in May).
- For the record, all four teams still have games with wild card hopefuls Palm Springs and K-Zoo - with the Warriors having the best records v. those two teams thus far.

On The Farm:
With Thornton holding an 8 -game bulge in the RML, with 19 to play, a number of Aurora farm-hands are going to get a pre-playoff, September call-up:
- 'Terror' Diaz has found himself stuck at AAA, but hasn't let it get to him with a 14-4 record and a 1.47 ERA. Having just pitched, he'll get a turn skipped, before getting a start or two for Aurora.
- Billy Taylor, 13-4, 2.53, will jump into a temporary 6th rotation spot for his major league debut - allowing Aurora's rotation to get an extra day's rest and get set for the stretch drive, before he heads back to Thornton to finish the season. It took Taylor a while to recover from his Tommy John, but he's had an excellent season (163 K and 32 BB).
- Manny Castro will come up for a few starts in the back-up position at catcher, just to get a taste, as Jesus Negrete is, in all likelihood, gone after the season. Castro will get the playing time despite the fine numbers that Rusty Butler has put up this year as back-up: .297, 4 HR, 18 RBI in 30 games. the 31-year old Rusty is also a free agent at season's end.
- Bill Jones, like Taylor and Castro, will be making his Big League debut after hitting .289 at Thornton.
- Notably missing from the call-up list was 2023 Top Pick LF 'Fudd' Martinez, who hit .394 with 15 HR in 55 games at Gatineau and after promotion has hit .271 with 12 HR in 65 games at Thornton (after a sluggish start). Aurora feels like he still needs to work on cutting down his K's (44 at AA and 84 at AAA), and they don't want him to be overwhelmed at the PEBA level. He'll get his shot next spring.
- Speaking of power hitting Top Picks, 2024 #1 1B Jose Torres has 16 HR at AA with a .251 average 0 and also in need of spending time working on contact (117 K), and 2025 #1 OF Ricardo Zamora has 12 HR and a .276 average in 60 GS for Mokule'ia, and will finish the season at SLRC. Despite SLRC having a strong second-half - and no longer the bottom of the NAFTA barrel, they are Aurora's weakest link and they're hoping that Zamora show's enough in the remaining 16 games to warrant a start at Gatineau in 2026.

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”