SimCity 4 meets OOTP: The South Georgia Baseball League

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SimCity 4 meets OOTP: The South Georgia Baseball League

#1 Post by Reg »

"The South Georgia Baseball League"

Now for something totally different!

For two decades now, I have been a fan of the different versions of SimCity. Over a decade ago, I downloaded a custom map of a sub-antarctic island called "South Georgia Island", and decided to start a set of cities. The back story that I created can be found in the link below.

When I discovered OOTP, I decided to create a fictional baseball universe which gravitated around my SimCity map! I even added "South Georgia" as a listed country in the game!

I only started posting about it on the OOTP forums, but feel free to follow along if this is your kind of thing! :grin:

South Georgia's capital, Johanssen, at night.

Click Here :
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/o ... y-4-a.html

Here is what South Georgia actually looks like. It's quite the majestic place!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: SimCity 4 meets OOTP: The South Georgia Baseball League

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

Awesome Reg! I recently have rekindled playing Sim4 too. Bravo!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Reg »

Sandgnats wrote:I recently have rekindled playing Sim4 too.
SimCity 4 might be one of the best games ever created! What a masterpiece.
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

Ah... SimCity... I remember taking a Computer Design course at USF - really about designing User Interface so that programs (and such) are intuitive. This must have been v.1. Part of the class required us, in groups, to 'bust' the game - find the best combination of components - residential, commerce and industry, to create the best 'win' scenario. If memory serves me - and this was back in... '94? it was a 1:2:1 ratio.

We also did the same with a game called 'Capitalist Pig'...

I don't really play a lot of computer games - beyond PEBA and WBH on OOTP, but I have found SimCity's 'Buildit' on mobile device somewhat addictive...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#5 Post by Sandgnats »

Trendsetters wrote:
Sandgnats wrote:I recently have rekindled playing Sim4 too.
SimCity 4 might be one of the best games ever created! What a masterpiece.
Agreed. 13 years later.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by John »

How cool is that? And yes, SimCity 4 is awesome. Pick it up at GOG if you haven't already.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Duane »

Wait, maybe I am not understanding clearly .... in Sim city you can have multiple cities on a single map?

Did they also introduce weapons factories and military bases? .... sim city, civ, and ootp combined would be mind blowing.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Reg »

If anyone is interested in reading this kind of stuff, my South Georgia League started it's inaugural 2015 campaign. It is a very slow-paced dynasty report, so we are now in the 5th week of action (early-May 2015).

A link to the OOTP Forums thread, with quick links in the original post

A review of the 12 cities and their teams :

North Division

Batallion Royals
Gold Harbour Bobcats
Grytviken Icebergs
Husvik Valley Spartans
Nemessey Giants
Salvesen Aeros

South Division

Annenkov Vikings
Barrington Pintails
Johanssen Suns
Pajt-Vorten Comets
Port Charles Bandits
Port Smith Aces

So far, here are the highlights/news :

- The Johanssen Suns picked first in the Inaugural Draft
- Grytviken (South Georgia's biggest city) has been surprisingly uncompetitive, despite theoretically having more resources.
- Salvesen has been the powerhouse team so far (mostly thanks to their offense) and have the best record, at 19-7
- Irishman Lonergan Hobbs is the SGBL's first pitching star, suiting up for Port Smith
- Batallion's manager seems to be a reincarnation of Earl Weaver (or, at least his short fuse), but lacks Weaver's leadership to use that fierceness in a positive way. The Royals sit at 5-21 and their manager appears to clash with just about anyone with two legs and a pulse.

I preview, then review one game every in-game Friday, too. Week 5 preview/review coming up soon.

Thoroughbreds wrote:Wait, maybe I am not understanding clearly .... in Sim city you can have multiple cities on a single map?

Did they also introduce weapons factories and military bases? .... sim city, civ, and ootp combined would be mind blowing.
Yeah, the game has 'regions', which is basically a giant grid of individual maps, which you can link together! If I build a road to the edge of my map, then load up the map next door, that road will appear there and you can continue. I found one guy took this to the extreme, and recreated ALL OF TAIWAN using a giant SimCity region. (In the link, notice the grid lines in the water, which are all individual map files). You can also import or export water, power and garbage between cities.

Military bases are there, but they don't do much, to be honest. They are basically a source of income (since it's useful, but not a very pleasant thing to have in your neighborhood, and creates pollution amongst other things, so you get paid to have it up and running).
Reg LeBlanc
(2021 - 2037)

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”