If Apples or Books Were Country Songs

Come on in and shoot the breeze! This is the place for anything and everything not related to sports or politics. Please take political discussions off-site!
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Re: If Apples or Books Were Country Songs

#31 Post by Coqui »

For no reason other than that I heard it on the radio, enjoy Letter to Me by Brad Paisley.

One of country music's strengths, I think, is the quality of some song writers to tell stories with their songs. Paisley, who is a world-class songwriter and a world-class guitarist, wrote this himself and has indicated that it is very autobiographical.

This is a live version, and a good one, performed at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

Pitchers & Catchers Report

#32 Post by Coqui »

In honor of the beginning of spring training, enjoy:

Cheap Seats by Alabama.

and

The Greatest by Kenny Rogers

Play Ball!
James
GM San Juan Coqui
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pitchers & Catchers Report

#33 Post by John »

Longshoremen wrote:In honor of the beginning of spring training, enjoy:

Cheap Seats by Alabama.
Oh, that's cool! I always liked that song but didn't know who sang it. Now I do! 8)
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Lions »

Longshoremen wrote:In honor of the beginning of spring training, enjoy
I was confused by this and thought you mean the beginning of the postseason.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by John »

Nutmeggers wrote:
Longshoremen wrote:In honor of the beginning of spring training, enjoy
I was confused by this and thought you mean the beginning of the postseason.
That's 'cause you live in the right universe: the PEBAverse. ;-D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

On The Gestalt of Today

#36 Post by Coqui »

On The Gestalt of Today, Chris Knight's 'Go On Home':

Money lyric (which applies to almost everything, PEBA excluded):
Don't go online I don't watch tv
Cause I know all I'm gonna see
Is something stupid goin on
Stupids in the water these days
They're gonna drink it any way
Til they don't know right from wrong

Yeah laugh if you want to
Call me a backwards fool
But I aint takin this ride
Ya'll just go on ahead and go
Let me out by the side of the road
All I wanna do is go on home
Now you kids get off my lawn, y'heah?

Chris Knight has appeared in this blog once before, with the dark, dark song Down the River. I recently heard another song of his that I must share, but I lost the post-it note on which it was written. Once I find it, I will probably just edit/update this post. (You're welcome for the bonus behind-the-scenes peek into the technologically cutting edge IAOBWCS headquarters.) He is rapidly becoming an appropriate heir to the edgy alt-country throne once occupied by Steve Earle.

EDIT: Oil Patch Town
Last edited by Coqui on Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#37 Post by Coqui »

First, as promised, I have edited the post above to include neo-Luddite Chris Knight's Oil Patch Town. It's worth a listen.

Here are a couple of songs by Miranda Lambert that follow-up on the everything-was-better-in-the-good-ol'-days sentiment in Chris Knight's Go On Home above. If Knight's songs were biting and cynical, Lambert's are more innocent and wistful:

Automatic is getting a lot of radio airplay now and is a song that manages to be a commentary on society without being too preachy or judgmental.

The House That Built Me is more personal. The second verse about the building of the house is particularly poignant, I think.

And what the heck, while we're at it, here's a sweeter version of the small-town-life-ain't-all-sweet-tea-and-hayfields theme that we saw up above in Kacey Musgraves' Merry-Go-Round, Miranda Lambert's (Everybody Dies) Famous in a Small Town.

Enjoy.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by roncollins »

I always find something valuable in these. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
All-Star

#39 Post by Coqui »

Longshoremen wrote:
Paul Moots wrote:I don't remember if I suggested these before and I'm not checking, but if you want to hear a couple of tremendous country songs by traditional performers, it is hard to top "Misery and Gin" (which contains the absolutely perfect line "Sittin' with all my friends and talkin' to myself") or "Night Life" (written by Willie Nelson among others - this version with Waylon Jennings and George Jones is hot.) Something more current? Try some George S or Dwight Yoakum (for the singing, not the dancing)?
Misery and Gin is one of my all-time favorites, by the way, even though the song could legitimately be described as suffering from heavy Countrypolitan influences (instrumentally, not lyrically). Within the last couple of years, I actually saw Merle Haggard and Kris Kristofferson in concert together. Merle can still sing - Kris not so much, but he never really could anyway. Night Life is great, too, and a whole differently bluesy genre inspired by Ray Charles and the like. The version linked above is probably the best, but this one featuring Eric Clapton ain't bad either.
Remembering Paul Moots (the first quote block) and newly departed Merle Haggard today. Paul's initial recommendation of Misery and Gin, which I enthusiastically seconded, I now third, on the day that Merle departs us.

The Tennessean has a great article about the life of a true American success story and legend. Country music's recent turn toward Bro Country, which has become very tiring, only highlights the immense talent as a songwriter and entertainer that Mr. Haggard had, and that we lost today.

Here are some of his more notable works:

Okie from Muskogee (his most identifiable song, and practically his anthem)
Today I Started Lovin' You Again (his most covered song)
I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink
Mama Tried (practically an autobiography in song)

Merle, us country music fans are singing you back home:

James
GM San Juan Coqui

Return to “Off-Topic General Discussion”