#31 Post by roncollins »

Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

Re: Shisa Weblog

#32 Post by Borealis »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Warning
And to perhaps hint to the complicated matter of attendance, it's anticipating us averaging 60,000 in our 55,000 seat park...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by roncollins »

Borealis wrote:
And to perhaps hint to the complicated matter of attendance, it's anticipating us averaging 60,000 in our 55,000 seat park...
I think that might say more about your practice of bribing the fire marshal. :evil:
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Borealis »

Cliff Hangers wrote:
Borealis wrote:
I think that might say more about your practice of bribing the fire marshal. :evil:
:o :-x
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Matt
VIP
VIP

#35 Post by Matt »

Ugh.

We should be okay on the avg attendance and ticket price settings, I tweaked those already. Where I have concerns is how OOTP is going to handle all this given our various stadium sizes. There's a part of me that has always thought we should just all have 45,000 seat stadiums, which is pretty much the norm across baseball these days, and leave it at that. To me expanding the stadium sizes has always just been a way for the rich to get richer. I have the feeling it might finally bite us in the butt with this version.

My other concern is ticket prices. Again OOTP, WTF? Almost all real teams have dynamic pricing these days. So why does OOTP want to take us backwards? I hadn't realized no one could change ticket prices until I read this, and it just adds to the aggravation with this version.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by roncollins »

Nigel (I think) said that adjusting prices in season was possible, and I trust his word, but everything else I read tells me we're frozen until next off-season. I figure we'll just see when we get there.

I assume the "freeze" is done because that would be the easy change in the code. Markus seems to take this approach to many new features. Freeze prices, and then tweak the attendance algorithm to account for that number? [this is me speaking out of school...what do I know].
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
VIP

#37 Post by Matt »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Nigel (I think) said that adjusting prices in season was possible, and I trust his word, but everything else I read tells me we're frozen until next off-season. I figure we'll just see when we get there.

I assume the "freeze" is done because that would be the easy change in the code. Markus seems to take this approach to many new features. Freeze prices, and then tweak the attendance algorithm to account for that number? [this is me speaking out of school...what do I know].

Fortunately I think I can edit prices. If everyone has been frozen since we switched over, it seems unfair to make them all stay at prices that were set before we knew the goofiness of this version. If we get to Opening Day and no one can change prices, we may go the route of letting everyone make a one time change and I will edit them in. A pain in the bum, but it can be done.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Borealis »

Borealis wrote:
And for what it's worth, in one sim our projected average dropped to 46,000... So god only knows what they H**l OOTP is doing...
Matt
VIP
VIP

#39 Post by Matt »

Borealis wrote:
Borealis wrote:
And for what it's worth, in one sim our projected average dropped to 46,000... So god only knows what they H**l OOTP is doing...
That's not all OOTP. Part of that me trying to get the settings right working with what OOTP has done. There are a lot of moving parts to it, you touch one thing all the rest move, then you have to find the sweet spot. I'll tweak again this sim and see where that puts us.
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#40 Post by Simon »

Why is this thing hidden in Shisa blog? !+)

Thank god i didnt know i cant change ticket price after Winter Meetings, or i would be raging even more about my budget projections.
Ok, so can somebody change my ticket price to league's average please? I dont want my budget to be 60M in 2023. Thanks :geek:
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#41 Post by Morris Ragland »

Shisa Announce 'Dracula Night'
Shiba Taguchi, Ryukyu Sports News

Naha, Okinawa - July 1, 2022: The Shisa have announced that Wednesday, August 17th will be Dracula Night in honor of former Shisa player Ton 'Dracula' Nakamura at Shisa Stadium. “The timing feels right,” says Okinawa General Manager Morris Ragland. The Okinawa front office acknowledges that the move is in part a reaction to the announcement by the Cliff Hangers that they would be honoring former player Masaharu Inoue earlier in the month during a series with Shisa. The Nakamura trade is one of the more infamous among the Shisa fan base, involving a move of big name talent to the Evas, but that was twelve years ago, and Shisa management is betting that the wounds have healed enough that the fans can celebrate Nakamura rather than mourn his loss to the team.

For the occasion, the third game in a series with old Bright Blade Group rival Lupin, the Shisa will be wearing throwback home uniforms of the Magami Akos, the uniform Dracula wore when he first joined the ball club in 2007, also the franchise's inaugural season. The team would later change its name to the 'Naha Shisa' in 2010, Nakamura's final year with the team.

Dracula Nakamura remains the Shisa franchise leader in career slugging percentage (.588), career OPS (.947), home runs in a single season (48 in 2009), career home runs (157), and RBI in a single season (121 in 2008). Nakamura appeared in 518 games over the course of three-plus seasons. Despite these excellent individual performances, the Ako and Shisa teams Nakamura played for never reached the post-season, and their best season was in 2010, when the Shisa finished 74-70, in third place in the BBG.

In the winter of 2010, the Shisa traded away two of their best players to Shin Seiki in a rebuilding move: Dracula Nakamura (22.8 career WAR in LRS after 2010) and closer Cristián Rosado (who had accumulated 29 saves and a 1.91 ERA in 42 appearances the year before, and had a career WAR of 3.7 in the LRS and PEBA after 2010). In return, the Shisa received Shin Seiki's first round pick, with which they drafted current second baseman Gigolo Komatsu (17.7 career WAR in the LRS and PEBA after 2010); Shin Seiki's second round pick, with which they drafted former catcher Yo Horiuchi (27 career WAR in LRS and PEBA after 2010); pitcher Leon Fernandez (6.9 career WAR in the LRS after 2010); pitcher Shiba Kamida (career -1.2 WAR in the LRS after 2010); and pitcher Naomichi Nakagawa (22.5 career WAR in the LRS and PEBA after 2010).

This is a trade largely decried by the Shisa fanbase, seeing it as proof that the Okinawa franchise has historically been victimized in trades with crafty Shin Seiki. Dracula was an uncommon slugger and a valuable property, accumulating 389 home runs in a 13-year career spent entirely in the LRS playing 144-game seasons, but he would turn thirty in 2011 and his peak year had already come and gone, though his 2011 numbers were mighty fine (42 home runs, and .984 OPS). Looking at the tally of future WAR given up for future WAR gained in this trade shows that Naha gave up a cumulative future WAR of 26.5, and gained a cumulative future WAR of 72.9. With respect to future contributions to their respective teams, this was indeed a one-sided trade, in the Shisa's favor, but this was a long-term move that required both patience and luck. Such an outcome could not have been foreseen when the trade was consummated, but it could certainly be hoped for.

The Evas hardly got fleeced in this deal. They received immediate production from Nakamura, who would be a key part of their offense for the championship team in 2013. But in 2014, Shin Seiki found itself on the other end of an unpopular Nakamura trade when they shipped him to Hyakujuu for very well-compensated on-base machine Jon Wood in the middle of the season. A move that would help to propel the Evas to their first 100 win season in team history, but would not yield a championship. Rosado would give the Evas a couple of good years, but his value to the club would come primarily from posting fees collected when he moved to West Virginia in 2013.

The key pieces of this trade for the Shisa, Nakagawa and the two draft picks, which became Komatsu and Horiuchi, were not LRS-ready. This was definitely a case of delayed gratification for the Naha organization. Nakagawa would not make his first appearance for the Shisa until three years later in 2013 (4 games). Horiuchi would make his LRS debut in 2014, and Komatsu would be called up in 2015. The three would play well for the Shisa, helping to lead the team to six consecutive Wasei Junkesshou appearances from 2015-2020. It's time to put a stake in the fan theories regarding the Dracula trade.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Evas »

Great article. "Dracula" was one of the definitive LRS Stars. He is the all time LRS leader in AB and K's and is second in H, HR, R, TB and R. He is 5th in WAR.

The "Dracula" deal was an early franchise defining move in SS. He was the linchpin of our lineups for several seasons and was critical in my 2013 title run. Being able to trade him in for half a season of Jon Wood in 2014 was pretty helpful too.

Beyond the on the field contributions, that deal helped establish my MO for how the Evas would be run - very trade heavy. Most of my current team was acquired via trades, and that is how it has been all the way back to 2010.

I am glad this one worked out so well for both sides.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by roncollins »

Nice review. And good choice on the throw backs. :) :clap:
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer

#44 Post by Morris Ragland »

Always fun to go back and look at trades you weren't even involved with. :smile:

I think this illustrates some of the problems with 'instant analysis' of trades, where you clearly have two clubs whose goals were very different going into negotiations. Even in hindsight, looking at a single metric doesn't tell you the whole the story.

When teams start having success, in either real or fictitious baseball leagues, it appears to me that people start to look at every deal critically, like the only way to improve a team is to victimize other GMs. Perhaps people start with the assumption that it's a zero-sum game, and if one team benefits from a trade it can only be at the expense of the other party; that only one side can 'win' the trade.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by roncollins »

Yes to that. Every trade should help both teams. When you see it that way, it can set up a few interesting situations. I have, for example, been in situations where I've chosen not to make deals that would help me specifically because I didn't want to help the other team. It doesn't happen often, but it's something to think about. In those situations, I felt improving my own team at the expense of helping an already strong competitor was a net loss.

As I remember it, I think Kevin and I had a fun conversation about this concept back when I was managing the old Kawaguchi.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers

Return to “Okinawa Shisa”