Hello PEBA

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hello PEBA

#1 Post by Ghosts »

Hi guys, I'm taking over the reigns of the Bakersfield Bears. I used to play a ton of OOTP in college and afterwards, but I've been away from all forms of the game for probably about 5 years. I saw some familiar names on the GM list from the WBH, where I was a member for about 15 season. I also briefly dabbled in the PEBA with the Kalamazoo Badgers for about a season a while ago but this league was too robust to be a second fiddle to the WBH so I didn't last. I'm very excited to get back into things and hopefully build up a powerful club that can compete with what looks like a really strong division.

For those of you who don't know me, which is most of you I just wanted to give some background on myself so you can get to know me a little bit better. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh before moving out to Southern California. Nowadays I complain when the high is below 65 or it rain, so safe to say that I'm too spoiled to ever leave this place. I just got engaged to a San Diego girl so she's never going to want to leave anyways. And we just signed papers on a townhouse so I've put down some pretty solid roots. I played baseball my whole life including some D3 college ball and a pretty competitive 18 and over league until I was 28. I recently retired to men's league softball since baseball was taking up a bit too much time. My favorite baseball claim to fame is thinking I was good enough to challenge Neil Walker in HS with fastballs. He didn't swing at the first one and put the first one 50 feet over the fence. I'm a huge Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins fan. I adopted the Lakers and USC when I moved out here and am an SC football season ticket holder. Currently reading 'Big Data Baseball', the story about how the Pirates used data/stats to become relevant again and it gave me a strong OOTP itch so here I am. When I'm not doing something sports related, I'm an accounting manager at a satellite company here in San Diego. So the first thing I'm going to do is start analyzing my depth charts and financial situation of this club. I typically try to build through the farm and am not usually a big spender in Free Agency, but we'll see how I feel about this team after I get a feel for them. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. How do people communicate these days? I used to frequently AIM msg with the people in my old league. Does that even exist anymore!?!?!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Re: Hello PEBA

#2 Post by Wind Dancers »

As a Pennsylvania native (Harrisburg) who spent 2 years in LA, I completely agree that the weather spoiled me...

Welcome!
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

Welcome to the league Bobby!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

Welcome to the Desert Hills, Bobby - Good Luck!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Arroyos »

Welcome back, Bobby. Where in SoCal are you living now? I teach in Ventura County and spend my summers in Oceanside.

Bob
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Evas »

Welcome aboard, Bobby!

Always great to add an experienced GM!
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Ghosts »

Bulldozers wrote:Welcome back, Bobby. Where in SoCal are you living now? I teach in Ventura County and spend my summers in Oceanside.

Bob
Living in Pacific Beach right now and I work in Carlsbad right next to Oceanside. My fiance and I just bought a townhouse in 4S Ranch, so I'll be there soon!
Dan Vail
Akira
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Akira »

Glad you're back, Bobby.
RonHi
ronhi0@yahoo.com
Neo-Tokyo Akira
Trade Block updated on 2/12/2021
2012 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
2017 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
Zephyrs
All-Star
All-Star

#9 Post by Zephyrs »

It is good to see a return GM. Welcome back!
Scott Maynor GM Reno Zephyrs
Joined September 2010
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Leones »

Best of luck with the Bears Bobby! :)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#11 Post by Morris Ragland »

Welcome, Bobby. Good luck in the Desert Hills. That's a packed division.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Lions »

Welcome back to the league!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Ghosts »

Thanks for the welcome. What happened to John Rodriguez? He used to run the league and maybe Aurora too when I was in it. I can't find his name anywhere. Burnout?
Dan Vail
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Borealis »

Bears wrote:Thanks for the welcome. What happened to John Rodriguez? He used to run the league and maybe Aurora too when I was in it. I can't find his name anywhere. Burnout?
JR is still about, and I'll let him tell his own tale - other than it wasn't burnout. I've been running Aurora since in-game 2011; a well documented tale that I can point you to later...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “Bakersfield Bears”