Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Aurora Storialis - The Borealis Blog

#46 Post by Borealis »

Crocker Makes WBL Debut
By Ray D. Enzé, NLN baseball blogger
based on Brisbane Courier-Mail reports

December 16, 2012: Brisbane, Australia – Former PEBA outfielder and Aurora broadcaster George Crocker made his WBL debut last night as the Bogota Caribs lost to the host Brisbane Dingos 4-3 in 11 innings on a warm summers night 'Down Under'. Crocker, who arrived in Brisbane late Thursday evening, began the night on the bench as manager Joe Werrick chose to sit the weary Crocker after his lengthy travel from Colorado.

Brisbane jumped to an early lead as Bogota struggled for a hit, being no hit until the 6th. Bogota tied the game in the 9th with 3 runs against Brisbane closer Vincent Gale. With runners at second and third and two outs, Werrick sent Crocker up to pinch hit. But, alas, there was no magic in Crocker's bat this evening as he struck out on three pitches, the last one caught with a high, up-stretched arm of the catcher as Crocker swung wildly.

Werrick did announce after the game that he planned on giving Crocker a start in today's game at Brisbane Cricket Grounds. After the game, Crocker was quoted saying, "Dude, I was right on that last pitch. You can tell he was scared to face a real ball player like me. Dookey. He just threw me dookey. Just wait until tomorrow, get a few AB's in me. Then you'll see the real George Crocker."
Last edited by Borealis on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#47 Post by Borealis »

Coal Sox wrote:Interesting. Is this "World Baseball League" a pure concoction for this article? For a moment I thought it might be another OOTP league, which would be quite interesting (technically as well) but have some interesting universe effects.

So there's leagues our OOTP PEBA file doesn't model - they must be really low quality! :-L
Think of it like MLB and the Italian League, or Korean League. Just another baseball league out there.
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#48 Post by Borealis »

Crocker Starts Slow With Bogota
based on Brisbane Courier-Mail reports

December 17, 2012: Brisbane, Australia – George Crocker led off the Caribs game v. the Dingos by reaching first base for the first time in his fledgling WBL career. That it was on a swinging bunt and with the catcher throwing the ball into right field did not matter for the former PEBA star. Crocker was so excited to have reached base he was seen visibly celebrating with the first baseman when Brisbane pitcher Rudolph Herz threw a pick-off throw to first and caught Crocker well off the bag for the first out of the inning. George Crocker was so dumbfounded by the play he tried arguing with the umpire - about what no one is sure.

One could argue that was the highlight of Crocker's day as he struck out three times, including with the bases loaded in the 7th inning of Bogota's 8-5 loss. When Crocker's spot in the order came up in the 9th he was pinch hit for with two on and one out. Crocker looked confused at the plate at times as he was swinging at balls out of the strike zone while taking perfectly good pitches over the plate. He saw a total of 11 pitches in those three strikeout at bats.

Crocker handled himself fairly well in the field, fielding all balls hit his way cleanly, if not being hesitant on a couple that he allowed to fall in for hits. Fortunately for the Caribs none of those runners advanced past first.

One can only assume that the struggling Crocker, who has not swung a bat in a game for three years, is rusty from his time off and that the competitive timing will come back. Bogota manager Joe Werrick had a stern talking with Crocker after he had sent up the pinch hitter in the ninth. Bogota's stated plan was to give Crocker today off and then start him in Wednesday's opener at home v. Caracas. Word out of Columbia is that the fans are excited and plan on welcoming the former PEBA star as if he were a national celebrity. Of course PEBA fans throughout the States could tell you that Crocker is already a celebrity - if only in his own mind.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#49 Post by Borealis »

Bogota Greets Crocker With Fanfare
based on Bogota Free Planet reports

December 18, 2012: Bogota, Columbia – The Bogota Caribs arrived home after a long road trip to Australia and were greeted by a mob of fans at the airport, all eager to get their first peak at the newest member of the team: George Crocker. Despite Crocker's slow start: 0-5, 4 K, fans wore Carib jerseys with 'Crocker' already affixed to the back. Some even wore Columbia national soccer jerseys and Millonarios jerseys with the 'Crocker' moniker. Amongst the crowd of children and adoring women were even a group of older men with Independiente Medellin and Real Cartagena jersey's waving Carib scarfs. Some fans even had George Crocker masks 'on a stick' which they waved in front of themselves.

Crocker was led to a a microphone for an impromptu press conference where he was quoted saying, "Buenos Dios muchachos. George Crocker is here to save the day. Just slip me one of those burritos and some tacos and I'll be ready to rock and roll. Hey, I hear some of that coca tea rocks with the Mexican food you guys have down here."

Clearly Mr. Crocker needs a little help with his geography. The Carib take the field tomorrow evening against the Caracas Macaws and Crocker is expected to be in the line-up. Early reports are he will be in LF, batting 7th.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#50 Post by Borealis »

Caracas Tames Bogota; Crocker Gets First Hit

December 22, 2012: Bogota, Columbia – The Christmas Holiday break for the WBL couldn't come at a better time for Bogota as rival Caracas slaughtered the Caribs in their three game series. That's six consecutive loses for Bogota since the hiring of George Crocker, with the hopes that he'd stimulate the club.

Crocker finally did get his first WBL hit, an opposite field flare that drove in his first run. For the series, lost by the scores of 8-0, 12-2 and 7-2, Crocker was 1-10 with 6 K. If there is any consolation, Crocker seems to be starting to make contact, even driving the ball for one of those outs.

Bogota has seen their record fall to 57-68 and a season low 12 games out of first. Crocker, who is 1-15 with 10 K on the season, was up beat after the loss in the third game of the series. "We've got lots of time to go - we're what, 8, 10 games out of first place ("Make that 12 George"), but we're only 6 back in the Wild Card race. You just wait. I've asked Santa for a hitting stroke for Christmas, and I'm going to begin the post holiday push with a BANG!" and with that George Crocker threw his hands up in the air. "I'm close. Did you see that ball I drove? I'm, like, 1 for my last 5! Dude, George Crocker is on the verge!"

On the verge of what is a matter of debate.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#51 Post by John »

Crocker is off the schneid!
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#52 Post by Tyler »

What a sad, sad, publicity stunt. I wonder if Crocker will ever get on base enough to test out his stealing skills? He ran a lot back in his PEBA days, and wasn't very good at it (103 SB attempts, 55% success rate).

Also, this is my favorite off-season storyline. :D
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#53 Post by klewis »

Poor Crocker. He is off his rocker. I wonder what K-Zoo Country thinks of this. The beloved former Badger has long distanced himself from Michigan - working for Aurora and now playing for Bogota.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#54 Post by Borealis »

Crocker On Fire v. Incas

December 29, 2012: Bogota, Columbia – Lima's Incas visited Bogata for the start of a three game series yesterday and Lima brought to the table one of the worst staffs in the WBL with them to Bogota's Carib Field. With the 6 day Christmas holiday break and more prep time no player benefitted more than former PEBA outfielder George Crocker. Playing left field and batting 7th Crocker had by far his best game of his young career. Bogota began the game with a 5 run first inning, highlighted by Crocker lacing a double down the left field line, driving in two. He led off the 3rd with his first HR in the WBL, a hit that chased Lima starter Ioachime Zhmuro. By the time Crocker came to bat in the 5th Bogota was already leading 10-0, and he picked up his third hit, in a very inappropriate manner as he dropped down a drag bunt for the hit. Lima reliever Bonie Medenilla looked very unpleased with Crocker, glaring at him repeatedly as he threw pick-off after pick-off throw to first in an obvious attempt to hit Crocker with the ball. Each time Crocker would get up and look at Medenilla with arms outward in a questioning manner, as if saying, "What's up?" Medenilla finally tired of Crocker and promptly plunked SS Zhorah Zapatrin in the back of the neck.

Crocker's first multi-hit game, and first game demonstrating solid contact finished with a 3-3, 3 RBI and 3 runs scored, not to mention his first HR. When asked after the game what the difference was, Crocker replied, "Dude, it was, like, the best Christmas ever! Better than the first one. I really wanted to work hard this break and come back strong, and I met this gal, and I said, 'Hi, I'm George Crocker' and that was, like, all it took. Man alive, I tell you this girl knew her baseball. She said I was handling my stick wrong. Helped me locate my contact spot - I kept missing. Dude, you gotta love Bolivian women ("I think you mean Bogotoan women, George). Georgiana! How about that! Georgiana Crocker, gotta nice ring to it, don't you think?

It was unclear as to what Crocker was speaking to, whether he was purposefully mixing his metaphors or truly ignorant to what he was talking about, but for a day, at least, the old George Crocker has made an appearance in Bogota. What is clear is that Mr. Crocker better remember his baseball etiquette, or else someone is going to get hurt out there.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#55 Post by Borealis »

Like George Crocker!

December 29, 2012: Aurora, Colorado - Word just came in that erstwhile Aurora broadcaster turned Bogota Caribs outfielder has turned to Facebook to keep his friends, family, and fans up to date on his happenings. You, too, can follow George Crocker's escapades in Bogota and around the globe on Facebook. What is going on in Crocker's twisted mind? Like George and find out.

John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#56 Post by John »

Borealis wrote:Like George Crocker!

December 29, 2012: Aurora, Colorado - Word just came in that erstwhile Aurora broadcaster turned Bogota Caribs outfielder has turned to Facebook to keep his friends, family, and fans up to date on his happenings. You, too, can follow George Crocker's escapades in Bogota and around the globe on Facebook. What is going on in Crocker's twisted mind? Like George and find out.

Just sent a friend request to George. :D
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#57 Post by Borealis »

Caribs Make Move Behind Crocker's Hot Bat
based on Correio do Brasil reports

January 1, 2013: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – Bogota met the New Year with a bang as they finished 2012 with a sweep of the Lima Incas and then went on the road to Rio and have taken two from the Amazons, and leading the way was former PEBA star George Crocker. After starting his Carib career at 1-15 over his first 6 games, Crocker has rebounded for a five game hit streak and is 8-13 over his last four games, making him 9-28, .321, for the season, with 2 HR and 7 RBI. The four game streak has moved Bogota back up in the standings, 61-68, 10 games out, but more importantly picking up 3 in the wild card race, trailing Rio by 1 game and WC leader Montreal by 3.

Last place Lima stood no chance as Bogota jumped all over their poor pitching staff. The performance thus far at Rio has been a bit of a surprise as Rio has boasted a strong offense, yet they've managed only 5 runs in their 6-2 and 4-3 loses to the Caribs. Needless to say Crocker's resurgence is a major factor as the Carib enter tomorrows finale with Rio and the final 32 games on the schedule in the wild card hunt. Bogota does face a difficult North American swing in those final games with games at Vancouver, San Francisco and Montreal, sandwiched between a road series at Montevideo and a home stand featuring Athens, Madrid and Oslo. San Francisco and Montreal sit ahead of Bogota, while Athens and Oslo are tied for the European division crown. Madrid and Montevideo are both struggling this season.

Our erstwhile colleague reports on his Facebook page that he spent New Years Eve at a posh Rio Mansion, an 'Appearance' as he called it, on one of the beach's of Rio. We've discovered the mansion to be owned by Ubaldo Fernandez, a billionaire Brazilian of questionable stature. Part owner of the Santos soccer club, there have been many questions as to where Fernandez' billions came from. Some have suggested drugs, smuggling and prostitution, although there have never been any formal charges brought against him. We must express some concern for the flamboyant Crocker, as we've also discovered that owners for the Caribs are also frequently suspected financiers of the Columbian drug trade. We stress suspected, as they, too, have never been charged with foul play.

On a side note the pictures that Crocker has posted of his latest female friend lead us to ask the question: What was she thinking?
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#58 Post by John »

I'm loving George's Facebook wall updates...
George Crocker wrote:DOGS! You can't even believe where I am tonight! This place is CA-Razy! I don't know who lives here - drug lords or something? (whispers - I probably shouldn't say that to loud) Any way at the beach of Joatinga in Sao Conrado. Total Awesomeness that I, George Crocker find myself speechless. Gotta find Georgiana.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#59 Post by Borealis »

Quiet Offseason Continues for Borealis
by Ray D. Enzé, NLN baseball blogger

January 30, 2013: Aurora, Colorado – Spring Training may be but a couple of weeks away and with it comes the bustle of preparation for the season and hope springs eternal. Aurora's offseason hopes of acquiring a starting pitcher to improve the rotation seems to have moved from Spring, straight through Summer and into Falling eternal. As of the end of January there has been not a hint of movement in this direction.

Aurora has apparently had a few conversations with teams, but with no results to disclose yet. It appears the Borealis may have to be content with giving Miguel Garcia, Jose Reyes, George Thompson, Francisco Chavez and Tony Gordon the opportunity to grab the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation. This may put a great pressure on Bill Bradley, Kojima, and Artie Tillman to repeat, if not improve upon, last season's results.

On the financial front there are apparently discussions that have begun between Bill Bradley's agent and GM Will Topham regarding a potential extension that would take him through his arbitration years. It's believed that a similar plan may be in motion for future closer Bryant Burris.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#60 Post by Borealis »

Topham Hosts Crocker Bash at Farallon
by Ray D. Enzé, NLN baseball blogger

January 15, 2013: San Francisco, California – George Crocker may be many things. Antagonist to Mark Gunter on their radio show "A Crock of Gunt". A man possessed by baseball. The (fallen) savior of the Bogota Caribs. An idiot. But one cannot argue that the man who once had a promising career that was cut short by a blow to the head that fractured his skull is anything but colorful. One can excuse Crocker's numerous delusions and quirky behaviors – like believing he can still play the game – but this one takes the cake; no pun intended.

Michael Topham, owner of the Aurora Borealis, held a "welcome back" party of sorts for George Crocker as his Bogota Caribs team arrived in San Francisco to take on the Fog of the World Baseball League. Crocker, his ditsy self, has perceived this to be a birthday party despite turning 30 last October 15th. Nonetheless, the bash, held at one of San Francisco's top seafood restaurants, Farallon, was well attended and quite the party. Aside from Crocker and his newest love interest, the mysterious Georgiana, Topham hosted Mark Gunter, Borealis players Mark Richardson, Steve McDonald and Bryant Burris, Bogota's owner Eustace Maximos, PEBA Commissioner John Rodriguez, Jr., as well as Borealis GM Will Topham. Florida Featherheads radio team A.K. and Nelly joined yours truly at the party. Nelly instantly raised eyebrows as he entered the party fashionably late wearing an “Ice Cold Sold Out” t-shirt. Richardson acted as if he didn’t see Nelly, but his sour, worried look suggested otherwise.

The party was held in Farallon’s private Sevruga Room, a cozy dining experience surrounded by the best wines money can buy. The food was exquisite as always and was enjoyed by all. The Commissioner, in honor of the “birthday boy”, dined on the Seared Georges Bank Scallops. The senior Topham ordered the Cedar Plank Grilled Trout, “The best trout you’ll find anywhere outside of a camp trip in the High Sierra.” George Crocker looked disappointed when his Pancetta-wrapped Rabbit Loin came to the table, saying, “What’s this little piece of meat? I ordered lion! Shouldn’t it be bigger? Where’s the mane?” Clearly, he is unclear on the concept of a loin. A.K. raised his fourth glass of Bray zinfandel and shouted “Baby, baby!” in response to Crocker’s questionable order.

The dinner slowly turned into a roast of George Crocker as many individuals told stories of their experiences with the former PEBA star. Gunter laughed at his own jokes about Crocker’s insistence that he would ever play ball again, contacting team after team, wearing other team jerseys in a hope it’d make a difference. “Kojima really nailed George in our interview when his cousin, playing in Niihama-shi, saw a Crocker tryout turn into a complete failure! Crock’s jaw just hit the floor with this comical look.” Which Gunter promptly imitated.

McDonald laughed about Crocker’s routine during the well-publicized “Topham-Rodriguez Connect-Four” match, bouncing about the room, mocking the looniest moments from last Opening Day. Will Topham looked up from his Blue Nose Bass and chimed in, “Thanks, George. I’d have won anyway, but your frustrating Chris was priceless. I was just busting up inside. When you called him ‘pickle face’, it took every ounce of strength not to totally crack up.” “Baby, baby, baby!” shouted a clearly toasted A.K., struggling to finish his Caribbean White Shrimp Parfait. A.K., when sober, has been very critical of Chris Rodriguez’s decision to give up his team in that manner.

Crocker’s Bogota experiment, if I may refer to it as such, has been a mixed bag. The Caribs have moved up in the standings since George’s arrival, but how much of that has been due to Crocker’s baseball prowess and how much is due to the failures of the Montreal Royals club in front of them in the standings is to be seen. After a rough 1-15 start with 10 K, Crocker seemed to find his stroke after the Christmas holiday break to go 12-26 with three 2B, two HR and 12 RBI. Over the past seven starts, he’s 2-25 with 11 K, giving him a .227 average going into this afternoon’s 9-7 Bogota victory in which Crocker was 2-5 with a run scored. Whether he’s hit or not – whether they’ve won or not – Crocker has clearly had fun with the travel, parties and life in Bogota, according to his Facebook postings.

Eustace Maximos, Bogota’s owner, dined only on Steamed Prince Edward Island Mussels and Sweet Corn Bisque and was typically tight-lipped, saying little during the evening despite Michael Topham’s attempts to talk business with him. One might suspect that the signing of Crocker was more a PR move, as Maximos has had Crocker “appearancing” at parties throughout the South American region with other WBL bigwigs and regional socialites. Maximos’s fortune has come under question for years, as many believe he is invested in the Columbian drug trade.

Crocker addressed the crowd in his typical irreverent manner. “Folks, I gotta tell you; I, George Crocker, feels, like, really honored to have all you dudes here to celebrate my birthday,” at which point Mark Gunter blurted out, “Your birthday was in October, George. Don’t you recall? That was the day Suárez blew Game 3 in Tempe.”

Crocker, who rarely misses a beat, replied, “Come on, Marky-Mark. You know the Borealis would never lose on my birthday. I had it changed to today. No game today, right boss?” he said as he glanced over at the Borealis owner. “Look at today; Caribs win! Thanks to me, George Crocker. Right, boss squared?” He directed his attention to the Bogota owner, who simply snorted.

Looking over at A.K. and Nelly, Crocker said, “You guys are great. I love that shirt, Nelly. Just crazy-good stuff! And A.K… baby!” he crowed as he raised his glass. A.K. tried to raise his glass in response, but instead spilled most of it all over Georgiana, who gave him quite the dirty look. At least it looked like an accident.

Crocker gazed across the room, “We’ve got old ‘goat face’ over there. I tell ya, when ‘Ice Cold’ gets rollin’, no one is better. Where’s your date, Richy? Couldn’t get her a day pass? Hey Nelly, can we get Richy one of those shirts?” Mark Richardson looked stonily at Crocker.

“Either way you may slice it up and chop it down, this has been a blast of a party. That’s, like, thanks ten times ten, Mikey, for the great party. I look forward to getting back to Aurora, Mark-o; we’re gonna have fun!”

The party slowly came to an end after a desert round of Bittersweet Chocolate Malt Cake, Banoffee Sundae and Concord Grape Pie. As the Borealis players left, followed by a slurring, stumbling A.K. – held up by Nelly – George Crocker, Georgiana, Maximos and the senior Topham lingered for a while, sipping cognac. When the party finally broke up, Maximos and Crocker were seen having an intense looking conversation inside the restaurant doors as Georgiana awaited a cab. The Borealis may have a month before spring training begins, but George Crocker has a game tomorrow.

Return to “Aurora Borealis”