Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

#91 Post by Bill »

Featherheads wrote:Olaf - Do you think the organization has tempered their expectations for Spud Jones? At one point, he arguably has the highest ceiling of all of Duluth's young arms. He has a history of arm problems. It has been frustrating to see him continually get set back due to an injury here and there. Why can't he stay healthy?! Is it possible that one day the organization may have to consider moving him to the pen to save his arm?

Mean Green of Minneapolis

Mr. Green,

Maybe you spoke too soon...

Olaf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#92 Post by Apollos »

Good thing he didn't strike out, say, 18.... the notes section would have read like war and peace.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#93 Post by klewis »

Olaf - Haha, I guess that is why I am in the construction business and not baseball. I'm glad Jones is proving me wrong. I'm happy to see my Warriors take care of business on the road! They are in first place! McKenzie is looking like a genius with his acquisitions. The Green Knight has looked terrific in a Warrior uniform. Jamison has provided range and speed in the outfield. Rose finally looks like a player. Is this the year the Warriors break through into the playoffs! I hope so!

Mean Green of Minneapolis
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#94 Post by Bill »

Unga Bunga: Happy 2017 Edition
by Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogologist
January 21, 2017

Happy 2017 to both of our Unga Bunga blog readers. Nothing better than talking baseball from the inside of an ice shanty when it's 12 below outside. Certainly keeps the brewskis nice and chilly. Plenty of action to talk about from this offseason; let's get right to it.

Manning Being Manning
First year manager Jeff Manning inherited a mediocre team light on winning experience and turned them into a 102-win team that won their frist division title and made their first appearance in the PEBA playoffs. GM Bill McKenzie rewarded that feat by signing the 43-year old skipper to a 5-year contract extension worth upwards of $7 million total. Hope he bought a good shanty, looks like he'll be here for a while.

The Royal One Rakes It In
Ángel Cortéz won the first Royal Raker Award earned by a Warriors hitter this season. GM McKenzie continued to reward those who got the team to the division crown by signing the big first baseman to a 4-year contract extension for $25 million guaranteed. This extension buys out the remainder of his arbitration-eligible for the slugger. Word from the Cortéz camp is that the native Venezuelan was excited about spending the prime years of his career with the Warriors. That bat of yours have any more 80 VORP seasons in it, señor? I hope so.

Smile and Say Cheese!
The big deal of the winter involved the trade of SP Albert Bush to Connecticut for reliever David 'Cheese' Chesney. At first it seems odd to trade a 20-game winner, but the embarassment of riches in the rotation in Duluth led to the natural swap that appears to help solidify each team. The bullpen was a clear weakness last season, especially from the right side. The team expected Juan Trinidad to take over the primary righty-on-righty role, but faltered early then became injured. The team leaned on rookie Brad Kemp and journeyman Tom Carter in his stead, but the results speak for the themselves. 9th out of 12 in ERA from the bullpen and two blown games late in the playoffs where the team could have really used a player like Chesney to lock down the game.

The vacated spot in the rotation will likely be filled by youngster Alex Stinnett, though Carlos Fernández is waiting in the wings at AAA. The top pitching prospect will be invited to Spring Training, though it is not expected that he will stick with the squad on Opening Day. But by the All-Star Break, all bets could be off. I'll be the first to start the Slayer for 2017 campaign.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#95 Post by John »

The Cortéz signing's significance can't be overstated. It took Ángel a while to work his way to the majors - a frustratingly long while, some would say - but now that he's there, he's an All-Star in his second season and there's a bright future ahead of him. The Warriors are smart to sign him up early. I think this move is going to pay off down the road, big time.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#96 Post by Bill »

UngaBungaOlaf: Rumor is that the Cortéz negotiation was easy as pie. Maybe TOO easy. Big C really wanted to stay, might have taken less to do it.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#97 Post by Bill »

UngaBungaOlaf: Early returns for 5th starter job: Slayer hurls 4 shutout innings, Stinnett gives up 3 runs then strains oblique after 3 IP. No contest so far.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#98 Post by Bill »

UngaBungaOlaf: More fifth starter news. Slayer: 12 IP, 4 ER, 5 BB, 9 K in 3 starts against BAK (x2) and PS. Alex Stinnett expected to get two starts this week to make a statement.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#99 Post by klewis »

For the record, I was thinking either Lorenzo Amador or Slayer for my 2nd choice of that draft. Slayer was my highest rated SP. In the end, I opted for Carson because he was easier to sign and I was out of budget. I've been happy with my returns so far and I am sure Slayer will have Duluth fans cheering as well.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#100 Post by Bill »

@UngaBungaOlaf: Flight plan for recent Bong Water 1 trip includes a stop in Barquisimeto, Venezuela - hometown of former Warrior pitcher Alberto Semblano. I don't believe in coincidences.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#101 Post by Bill »

Sutherland Added to Playoff Roster
October 2, 2017

After four months of rest and rehabilitation, Warriors starter Davis Sutherland has been officially added to the playoff roster. However, that's where the facts end and the wild, unbased speculation begins as the club has not made any comment regarding his health, availability, or potential usage during the playoffs.

Sutherland was pitching brilliantly for the first two months, putting up a 5-3 record with a 1.91 ERA and 80 strikeouts in 12 starts. From there, he battled shoulder inflammation for the rest of this summer. He struggled through rehab, often taking one step backward for every two steps forward in the healing process.

Can a player, even with the immense talent of Davis Sutherland, take four months off from competitive baseball and just come back to be effective? This blogger thinks it sounds a little far fetched, even through the rosiest of glasses. Maybe he could throw a couple bullpen innings? Even then, would we want him to? If he wasn't ready to go before the end of the season, I can't imagine he would be sharp and ready to go against the Bears.

Whatever happens, one thing is for sure - there will be plenty of second guessing to go around.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#102 Post by John »

I say it's a no-brainer to add Sutherland. Maybe if Duluth was operating at full strength, one might question the move, but Spud out of commission, the Warriors just have to roll the dice on Sutherland. No second-guessing here.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#103 Post by Bill »

The Good Luck Charm to Start Game 1 Against Bears
October 2, 2017

The team has announced that veteran southpaw Alberto Semblano will be starting Game 1 of the first round series against Bakersfield starting tomorrow. Duluth will likely come back with Dave Barker in Game 2.

Semblano was signed midseason after four Duluth starters were hurt in a 10 day period of late May and early June. Now, he's expected to leadoff the Warriors rotation, likely against the Golden Arm favorite Markus Hancock. Some may think he is the lucky charm this team needs as it heads to the playoffs winning only 12 of its last 29 games. Semblano's last two playoff appearances have been nothing short of magical.

Back in 2013, Semblano was sent from a middling Duluth team at the trade deadline to a surging Arlington Bureaucrats team looking for a starter. The Venezuelan responded, posting an 11-2 record for the 'Crats down the stretch and going 4-1 with a 1.93 ERA in six starts as Arlington won the Rodriguez Cup.

Fast forward to 2016, his second season in the LRS after his agent priced him out of the PEBA market. Semblano was decent during the season (15-9, 4.20 ERA), but came alive in the playoffs (2-0, 2.22 ERA) as the wild card Kure Arsenal won the championship overseas. Two seasons, two championships in two different countries.

On a whim (with a hint of desperation), Warrior GM Bill McKenzie made the trip to Venezuela this summer to talk him out of retirement to pitch for his former team. He relented, came to northern Minnesota, and the rest was history. He had a few bad innings while shaking the rust off, but proved to be one of the team's more reliable starters down the stretch (9 QS in his last 15 outings).

The 2017 version of the Warriors hopes this good luck charm has a little more magic in that left arm.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#104 Post by Bill »

Have You Heard the News Today? Ohhhh Boy.....
March 24, 2018

Well, it appears the last opening in the Warriors everyday lineup has been filled. The contenders, and their spring performances to date:

OF Cliff Jones: 8-for-40 (.200), 0 XBH, 3 RBI
OF Milton Wright: 3-for-19 (.158), 0 XBH, 2 RBI
1B/DH James Heard: 15-for-47 (.319), 5 2B, 5 HR, 12 RBI, 8 R, 1.078 OPS

The team's scouting staff has been very high on Heard coming into the spring, despite a subpar performance last season at AAA Madison. The common theory was that he might need another half season to make adjustments in the minors, but at this point it's hard to imagine that the 6'7" slugger wouldn't be on the team to start the season. The staff likes to compare Heard to former Tempe and current New Jerser bomber Dean Bailey. I can't imagine that the team would be too disappointed with a career .319/.361/.526 player.

Spring News and Notes:
"The Six Million Penny Man" Chuck Austin has performed well since being picked up on waivers (10.2 IP, 11 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 9 K). Odds are that he will stick with the team, pending the healing of a minor abdominal strain....Bryant Duncan has also pitched well since his offseason acquisition, allowing 2 or fewer runs in all three spring starts. He will get his final tuneup today against Canton....2B Jorge Ornelas' hot spring (.340, 2 HR, 10 RBI) has team brass thinking they don't need a higher priced option at the keystone. Though rumors are still swirling that the team is interested in former Borealis star Steve McDonald....Happy 45th Birthday to Warrior GM Bill McKenzie!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#105 Post by Apollos »

Happy B-Day indeed, Mr. McKenzie ;-D Hope you signed Jose Cruz to a long-term extension to celebrate :wink:
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights

Return to “Duluth Warriors”