Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

#1 Post by Bill »

11/17/2012

Arbitration Not an Option
by Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogologist

Apparently arbitration is for a chosen few on the Duluth Warriors this season. Word from unamed sources close to the team is that most eligible Warrior players will not be offered arbitration this season, allowing the players to become free agents. The move could save the team some money as the new regime tries to dig its way out of the cellar and the red.

Could this be a start of a youth movement? Maybe, but I doubt it changes the level of suckitude on the shores of Lake Superior.
Last edited by Bill on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
VIP
VIP

Re: Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

#2 Post by Matt »

I think a DNA analysis of Bill here and Bob from Yuma might be in order? Long lost twins, perhaps?
Steel Dragons

#3 Post by Steel Dragons »

most eligible Warrior players will not be offered arbitration this season
Ramón Vega doesn't seem too pleased to hear that.

A solid baseball decision nonetheless.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#4 Post by Matt »

All joking aside, I don't Duluth is really far away from a turn around at all.

There is some debt, about 8 mil.

But there is only about 51.5 mil owed in salaries next season, against a budget of nearly 76 mil. Duluth should turn the financial fortunes around really quick.

And what's not to like about a farm system that has 3 starters at AAA who can step into the rotation in the very near future and have success?

Decent players Ben Thomas, Pat Holman and Miguel Cortez can be built around. Shaffer nearly ready at AAA, some outfielders on the way at AA.

I don't think the situation is really that dire in Duluth. I'm expecting a very quick turnaround in fortunes there.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Bill »

Agreed. But we will keep our expectations low in 2013. Like not losing 100 games.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#6 Post by Matt »

I keep mine simpler. Just win one more than Yuma.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by John »

Steel Dragons wrote:
most eligible Warrior players will not be offered arbitration this season
Ramón Vega doesn't seem too pleased to hear that.

Image.
Gah! That's not the face I want to see greeting me first thing upon getting home this evening! Geez, buddy, lighten up... life can't be that bad. What, don't you like the cap and jersey art I designed for you? :P
Calzones wrote:All joking aside, I don't Duluth is really far away from a turn around at all.
I agree with this statement simply due to my immense confidence in Bill. I really believe he's someone who has got what it takes to get the job done.

By the way, I've received a couple inquiries about blogs recently. Seems there's a growing interest in having a place to post short thoughts. You'll be happy to know that I've been working with Dan of Arlington, and we're very close to unveiling a system that's going to support off-site PEBA team blogs, with content pushed to the homepage. It's an upgrade I've been saving for the off-season, and once the craziness of the Winter Meetings are past, I should be ready to roll it out. I'll have more details about that within the next couple of weeks.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by klewis »

I'm just happy to see more blogs! I'm hopeful that it is a trend that continues. I get sick of just reading about Florida and Aurora :P I wanna read up on another teams!

Edit: Don't forget about WikiPebia as well! Dan should be milked out of all the free labor we can get from him (kidding)
Last edited by klewis on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Tyler
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Tyler »

PEBA Commissioner wrote: You'll be happy to know that I've been working with Dan of Arlington, and we're very close to unveiling a system that's going to support off-site PEBA team blogs, with content pushed to the homepage.
Any relation to the much-fabled PEBA wiki?
Tyler Babcock (West Virginia Coal Sox/Alleghenies, 2007-2019)
IL Wildcard 2011, 2017

Riley to Suárez to Harmon...
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by John »

Coal Sox wrote:
PEBA Commissioner wrote: You'll be happy to know that I've been working with Dan of Arlington, and we're very close to unveiling a system that's going to support off-site PEBA team blogs, with content pushed to the homepage.
Any relation to the much-fabled PEBA wiki?
The Wiki project hit a snag when the man who was on point had to leave the league due to an illness in the family. I will resume the project myself as time permits, but I do want to be honest; there are a lot of irons in the fire, and the PEBA Wiki may have to take a back seat for the foreseeable future.
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Bill »

PEBA Commissioner wrote: I agree with this statement simply due to my immense confidence in Bill. I really believe he's someone who has got what it takes to get the job done.
Clearly you did not any research on how my previous online teams fared in the playoffs. !+) 8-o :-P
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Bill »

11/18/2012

Uproar Over Arbitration

After yesterday's news that many of the Warriors' abitration-eligible players will not be members of the team in 2013, the reaction of the players involved has been mixed.

Outfielder John Kelley was cautiously optimistic about his chances of returning. "I think I've shown what I can do over the last four seasons," said the upbeat Kelley. Yes, indeed you have - but I'm not sure a career .264/.317/.377 line will win you a whole lot of brownie points with the organization. But the lefty is an above-average defensive outfielder on a team that needs all the help it can get.

The winner of the 'Curmudgeon of the Year' award is apparently reliever Ramon Vega, who went out of his way to blast the organization. "You have to be kidding me!," exclaimed the lived pitcher when he heard the news from reporters after a workout session. "Those bunch of greedy (bleepity-bleeps) wouldn't know talent if it slapped them in the face. If they release me, you better bet they will pay. I will gladly enjoy beating them every season just that much more."

I believe your fate is sealed Senor Vega. Of course, a 56:40 BB:K ratio combined between AAA and the big club already spoke volumes.

This blogger has already learned that minor leaguers Shawn Kerr, Ed Eubank, and Matt Allison have been officially informed of their decision about arbitration and have been released by the club.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Bill »

There's a Hole in your Bucket, Dear Warriors, Dear Warriors...

So the Warriors carried through with their promises, allowing several veteran players to become free agents over the past week. Thusly, the home team now only sports 16 players under contract for the 2013 season. And that number includes injured infielders Powell Clark and Stan Gill. So either ghosts will be manning the bench in Duluth or new GM Bill McKenzie has a full offseason plate.

To that end...there are rumors from unnamed sources close to the team that the Warriors are close to bringing in some help for the pitching staff, though no news of the player or caliber of the player could be uncovered. Also, the team has several (i.e. like 10) open spots on both the 25- and 40-man roster, leading one to the conclusion that there could be some cherry-picking off other teams in the upcoming Rule 5 Draft. How much, if any activity, remains to be seen.

Either way, nine holes to fill + little cash for FAs = uh oh in Minnesota.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by klewis »

Not to probe or stir up anything but I have always wondered about Pat Holman. There's no doubt that he is one special talent. His contract is quite large though. I always wondered if it that's a player that Duluth would be moving. I've been thinking that since he inked that contract awhile back.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Bill »

Holman's a Keeper
By Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogologist

In response to speculation around the PEBA's upcoming Winter Meetings, Warriors GM Bill McKenzie has released the following statement to the media:

"An open letter to the Warrior Nation,
I would like to give every fan a pledge that I will do everything in my power to make the Warriors a team for the future. Many of the moves this offseason will bear out that promise. But that includes retaining the wealth of young talent in the organization. Players like Pat Holman and Miguel Cortéz are lifeblood of this team. These players are in the prime of their careers and will be retained despite their cost and I have the utmost confidence that these players will continue to show their value on and off the playing field. The team and I thank you for your continued support. Go Warriors!

Sincerely,
Bill McKenzie
GM, Duluth Warriors"

Return to “Duluth Warriors”