Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Unga Bunga: A Warriors Blog

#76 Post by klewis »

I wanted to make a Duluth/West Virginia comment and I figured this is perhaps the closest thing to a team page. I didn't want to double post so I chose to comment on Duluth's blog (as opposed to Tyler's.... I gave the tiebreaker to the fact that Unga Bunga gets updated more :P)

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in because I love the trade between the two teams. I think it helps both teams tremendously as both teams are trading from a position of strength. I think this type of deal greatly sets up both teams for the future. Duluth already has excellent young pitching with Slayer down on the farm. They just needed some offense. West Virginia already has Ronald Harmon (courtesy of Florida ;-D) and getting another pitcher will help complement Ayers. Good job guys!
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#77 Post by Bill »

Yeah, I like it for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. That being said, it was still a difficult deal to make and I'm not 100% sure I made the right call. The biggest problem I have is that I don't really have anyone to step in and take Ishida's place in the rotation. We are either going to have to overspend in FA or give some young guys a shot and hope they get hot.

But in the end, hopefully both Ishida and Cortez succeed and we each live happily ever after.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#78 Post by Bill »

Winter Musings
by Olaf Halvorsen, Senior Blogologist
January 1, 2015

Ooh...I Think I Ate Some Bad Surströmming
Another year, another winter in the ol' ice shanty sipping a malted beverage thinking, "Maybe this is the year the Warriors quit sucking." To be fair, the Warriors weren't really that bad last year, being that they had their best season ever and all. But watching them struggle to score three runs every night did create this chronic feeling of suckitis all the way to the pit of my stomach, even if it was somewhat psychosomatic. I don't want that feeling any more. I sincerely hope the 2015 version of the Warriors can keep me entertained and excited past May 15th this season. And please, for the love of St. Olaf, no more 8-18 Junes this year!

Take a Cortéz and Call Me in the Morning
Owner Arne Bong and GM Bill McKenzie have had several months to fix what ails the Duluth ballclub and my frequent bouts of suckitis. I'm not sure they were able to accomplish that goal, but I can see why they would not want sell the farm, literally and figuratively, just to have a shot to win 90 games this year. The primary move was the acquisition of first baseman Ángel Cortéz from the West Virginia Alleghenies. Cortéz has been a perennial top 25 prospect in the PEBA, but had nowhere to play with established stars Ronald Harmon and Ernest Kaufman locked up to big money deals with the club. The price for the phenom was steep and came in the form of SP Sakutaro Ishida, who had one of the best pitching seasons in club history last year.

"We will certainly miss the contributions of a fine pitcher such as Ishida," admitted McKenzie when asked about the move. "But we could not afford to sit still and let the offense continue to founder as they did last season. I mean, some days I would come to the park and just get this sort of sick feeling in my stomach as I watched our Punch-and-Judy offense." Apparently suckitis is contagious.

Anyway, the Warriors only had so many strengths to draw on and starting pitching was one of those few spots. So they took a risk and grabbed Cortez while the getting was good. The book on the 25-year old Venezuelan is that he is a complete hitter - he's patient, waits for a pitch he can do something with, then he does something with it. The one knock on him is that his swing is a little flat. This is good for hitting line drives, but it has stunted his power growth as he has yet to top 11 homers at any level of the minors. However, the team scouts think he is close to breaking out after hitting well over .330 with more walks than strikeouts over the final 3 months at AAA Mansfield last year. The converted third baseman is also adept with the glove and will likely take over full time duties in the field while letting Rubén Cruz become the designated hitter.

Domo Arigato, Mr. Sato
Beyond the addition of Cortez to the lineup, the Warriors are expected to give OF Tadamichi Sato a shot to win a spot in the lineup this spring. The Warriors top hitting prospect has spent the last two seasons in AAA Madison honing his craft as a leadoff hitter while the team also sent him to winter ball to work on his range in the outfield and his bunting skills. The team and front office personnel believe it is time to give him a chance to help the big league club in 2015.

If Sato plays well this spring, manager Miguel Angel Flores will have a tough decision to make on how to squeeze him into an outfield with incumbents John Mayer, Roberto Holguín, and Ron Elmore already in place. Holguín would seem the likeliest candidate to see the bench, but he is the only real true centerfielder. It remains to be seen whether Sato can play CF in the roomy Doyle Buhl Stadium.

Oh...THAT 800 lb. gorilla...
Lost in the focus on fixing the offensive offense is the fact that trading away Ishida now means that essentially the Warriors only have three reliable starters in Barker, Sutherland, and Jones (kinda sounds like a bunch of injury lawyers, eh?). Jesús González proved pretty unreliable after a decent start to 2014, but seems to have an inside track at a rotation spot if only to earn some of his $8 million paycheck. Duluth picked up Alberto Vásquez off waivers from the Gnats, but he's only a year removed from rotator cuff surgery as is Matt Howard at AAA; these players seem more suited for the occasional spot start at best. The most likely contenders for the final rotation spot seem to be Tom Carter and Jitters Guillén. Carter has 27 wins and a sub-3.00 ERA over three levels in the last two seasons. The knock on Carter has been his stamina; the team sent him to winter ball as well with the intention of stretching out his arm to throw at least 175 innings this season. Guillen is a former first round pick that didn't really pan out as advertised, but has continued to work his way up the organization. He's now more of an innings eater type, but that can be of value at the back of the rotation and his screwball gives him an effective pitch against lefties. If both have good springs, don't be surprised to see Gonzalez in the pen. And don't be surprised to see GM McKenzie fill this hole from outside the org if none of the options really pan out. Basically, just don't be surprised - almost anything could still happen here.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#79 Post by Bill »

Rotation Watch, Part I
March 16, 2015

Spring training is upon us and the battle for rotation spots is in full swing. In fact, manager Miguel Angel Flores has stated that the innings for Barker, Sutherland, and Jones will be lower early on to give the candidates as many chances as possible to earn a starting spot. The early returns are:

Tom Carter - Made two starts, giving up one run over eight innings. Looked very strong in his first game against Bakersfield (4 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 K) and 'scattered' seven runners over four innings against the Sandgnats. He throws hard and has a great track record over the last two seasons in the minors. I would say a job in the rotation is his to lose at this point.

Jesús González - Gave up one run in four innings at Reno, then gave up four runs and seven hits to the Borealis in his second outing. Pretty much as expected - can survive against average hitting, but will get knocked around by the elite hitting teams. Still, his contract and being the only southpaw in the competition will win him any tie breakers.

Norberto Guillén - His one start against Yuma was a success (4 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 0 BB, 2 K). So far, so good - but he will need to prove himself against better talent going forward to win a spot. Guillén is the dark horse to knock González to the bullpen. Or maybe the curb.

Alberto Vásquez - Has not gotten a start yet, but pitched 3.2 innings in relief against Tempe and Bakersfield. He has yielded only a solo home run in his work while striking out four batters. Flores has said he will get a start in the upcoming week to give him a shot at sticking with the club. Extreme dark horse, but it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibilities to see him start the season in Duluth.

So far, I'd give Carter and González the edge on rotation spots so far. But I could also see the possibility where Flores uses González and Guillén or Vásquez as almost a fifth starter platoon. Or there is always Plan F - find somebody else!
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#80 Post by klewis »

Dear Mr. Olaf,

Is there any chance the Warriors will be calling up San Antonio to help improve the depth of their pitching rotation? Higgins has made it widely known that certain players or rather pitchers could be had. I am worried that the rotation may not hold up this year. The Big 3 pitched a lot of innings last year that included a ton of stress innings created from the lack of offense. Once again, I expect they will have to carry the load again this year.

- Rich Clarkeson
Rochester, MN
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#81 Post by Bill »

Rotation Watch, Part II
March 25, 2015

We are now 2/3 of the way through spring training and the waters are clearing up, so to speak. This is how Unga Bunga handicaps the race as they head into the home stretch:

Tom Carter - Carter gave up two runs during a two-out rally in the first against Yuma in his third start of the spring, but held the 'Dozers in check the rest of the way. So far, he has given up 3 runs, 11 hits, and 5 walks while fanning eight over 12 innings. Not great, but considering the competition...let's just say he has still been the best of the group fighting of the last rotation spots.

Jesús González - González was held out of action after his first two starts due to an illness in the family (no, I don't think it was a bout of suckitis...but you never know). He has returned to the team and is stated to get two more starts in preparation to open the season. Barring a complete collapse, I think the team will still go with the marginal known (and expensive) commodity over a marginal unknown commodity

Norberto Guillén - Jitters lived up to his nickname, pitching tight and allowing 11 runs over 6+ innings in his second and third outings of the spring. His control was, to be kind, erratic. The team has announced today that Guillén has been sent back down to minor league camp to work out his issues. He will undoubtedly start the season in AAA Madison.

Alberto Vásquez - Has pitched 12 innings over seven appearances so far this spring with mixed success. Threw well in his only start against Bakersfield, allowing only a Pat Lilly 2-run homer over four innings. He hasn't pitched bad, but hasn't really set himself apart either. Unfortunately pitching like a C+ doesn't really win you any jobs. He is slated to receive another start this week. He has a chance to make the team as the long man, but barring injury I still don't expect him to make any starts early in the season.

With other bullpen candidates like Juan Trinidad struggling, it is possible that all three of the remaining candidates stay with the club. Manager Miguel Angel Flores has talked more than once about using a matchup rotation where the fifth spot remains almost like a platoon. Seems a little impractical to me, but I'm just a keyboard jockey - what do I know, eh?

I've received several letters over the last week discussing my 'Plan F' - i.e. finding sombody else for the rotation. Unfortunately, it does not appear that the team is looking into external options at the moment, willing to give the boys in-house a chance early on. However, if the performances in April warrant it, you never know if the team would be willing to take someone on midseason.
John
Site Admin
Site Admin

#82 Post by John »

Hey Bill, I'm working to get all homepage articles posted as separate threads in the forums. This makes it easier to locate specific homepage articles and associated discussions. Do me a favor and re-post your article as a separate thread in the SL Writing forum. I've quoted the article below so that you can press the "quote" button and copy the text of your post.
Warriors wrote:Warriors Announce Opening Day Promotion

Below is copy from the official Opening Day promotion the Warriors are running for the first game of the 2015 season.

"March 16, 2015: Duluth, MN – The Duluth Warriors are proud to announce a fabulous promotion available for Opening Day at Doyle Buhl Stadium on Tuesday, April 7th at 7:05 p.m. All children 14 and under will receive a special edition 2015 Future Stars baseball card with paid admission to the game. This limited edition card will not be available in stores – the only way for you and your kids to get the one-of-a-kind collectable is to come out and see the Warriors battle the K-Zoo Badgers on April 7th.

One of the cards features the pitchers of the future – Dave "Zoom Zoom" Barker, Davis Sutherland, and Rich "Spud" Jones. This trio combined for 38 wins and 598 strikeouts in their first full season in green and white, and that is likely just tip of the iceberg for the careers of these promising flamethrowers. Josh Shaffer, Tadamichi Sato, and Ángel Cortéz are highlighted in the second promotional card, which features the best young hitters in the organization. Shaffer had 48 extra base hits in his first PEBA season last year, while Sato and Cortéz are new to the Warriors lineup this season after posting great numbers all throughout the minors.

So come out to hear the crack of the bat and root, root, root for the home team on Tuesday, April 7th at 7:05 p.m. to receive these great collectable cards for you and your family. See you there!

Warriors Baseball – It’s a Smash!™"
John Rodriguez
Hard at work...
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#83 Post by Bill »

State of the Warriors 2015: 50-Game Mark
June 1, 2015

Hello, fellow Duluthians (and the 3 other people reading this blog)! Going into the 2015 season, much was expected of this Warriors team. Could they top last year's 87 wins? Could they compete in a Great Lakes division full of playoff contenders? Could Barker, Jones, and Sutherland exceed their successful 2014 campaigns? Could young hitters Angel Cortez and Tadamichi Sato bring some legitimacy to what was one of the league's worst offenses?

I've posed these questions to the Unga Bunga staff (i.e. the Magic 8 Ball on my window sill) and the answers are: Maybe, Kinda, and Ask me Later. I think maybe those answers applied to all the questions; the ball...I mean, staff wasn't very specific. Maybe I can shed some clarity...

Is 25-25 An Improvement?
Maybe, at least in some ways. Of course, the Warriors had kept their head above water most of the first two months of the seasons before losing five out of six to the Borealis and Codgers to finish May. The team found itself in first place for at least a few days early on, but could never seem to maintain the momentum for more than a couple games.

The good news - four of the next five series are against teams that the Warriors have the ability to handle (Reno twice, K-Zoo, and Canton). Now, opportunity and realization are two different things. It remains to be seen whether Duluth can realize their potential and get back into the Great Lakes and Wild Card race. The other positive is that nobody has really run away with anything in the division, so even at .500 the Warriors find themselves only four games back of the Wild Card.

Splashdown for The Bomber
Just 20 short months ago, Ronald Elmore became the first Warrior to pace the Sovereign League in home runs. His 42 homers from 2013 are a team record. But since a shoulder injury kept him out of action for half the 2014 season, he does not look like the same player. After a hitting two round trippers on Opening Day, the Bomber has hit only two more over a two month period. I spoke with advanced scout from another team that said, "The ball just doesn't come off the bat the same. This Ron Elmore is a far cry from the Ron Elmore of 2013." The numbers seem to back that up, at least to this point of the season.

Manager Miguel Angel Flores has already moved him back in the lineup, however the struggles have continued. With CF Roberto Holguin slated to return from injury this week, it would not be surprising to see Elmore lose some playing time until he finds his stroke. If he finds his stroke.

Cortez Finds the Fountain of Youth
Of course it was Ponce de Leon who was famously searching the New World for the fabled Fountain of Youth. But SS Miguel Cortez seems to have stumbled on it himself as he has started 2015 as well as any season in his career. His .328/.412/.459 line mirrors his career-best 2010 season, back when he was an elite shortstop in the PEBA. He has a chance to be an all-star again for the first time since 2008 as his ranks first or second among Sovereign League peers in AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, wOBA, VORP, and doubles. His defense has been above par as well, committing only one error so far in 2015. Not to shabby for a 31-year old that we were ready to put out to pasture last year.

Apparently he has been sharing the tonic with C Pat Holman as well. Holman is off to his best start in several years, posting a .321 average with 3 homers and 14 RBI early on. He leads SL backstops in batting average and on-base percentage.

Next Up...A Different Flavor of Suck
It isn't a stretch to say that the fifth starter has been a problem. In fact, it has been a downright mess. Tom Carter was given the first crack at the job, pitched a couple decent outings, then ballooned his ERA to 6.82 before being demoted to AAA Madison. Alberto Vasquez pitched well out of the bullpen early on and earned a couple starts after Carter, but proceeded to allow 18 runs in three starts. Flores has announced that Vasquez is out of the rotation and the squad will call up Norberto Guillen to make a start later in the week. Guillen is 6-1 with a 2.85 ERA in AAA with a couple complete games. At worst case, maybe he can last a little deeper into games than Carter or Vasquez did.

After looking over these choices, one can't help to wonder why the team wasn't more active in pursuing available pitchers like Hamilton Cole and Yoshitoki Ono.

Certainly Warrior fever has started to take hold in Duluth, even just at the prospect at being in the hunt. Of course, it is still too early to tell what will become of the 2015 Warriors. Maybe they get hot and hang around. Or maybe the have to wait 'til next year. What do I think will happen? I dunno...ask me later.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#84 Post by Jason »

Warriors wrote:
Hello, fellow Duluthians (and the 3 other people reading this blog)!
After looking over these choices, one can't help to wonder why the team wasn't more active in pursuing available pitchers like Hamilton Cole
Welcome to Omaha, Mr. Cole. I guess there are two others reading this blog? Nice 1/3 season recap, Bill.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#85 Post by Bill »

Thanks. Cole should be a nice pickup for the 'Clones. I considered both Cole and Ono pretty hard and realistically either could have helped us. Unfortunately beyond the couple top talents, my prospect cupboards are a little dry at the moment. Because of that, we haven't had much luck finding trade partners. The truth of the matter is that we really don't have much to give.

Maybe tonight's sim can turn things around for us.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#86 Post by Bill »

2015 Amateur Entry Draft: Day 1
June 7, 2015

The first day of the 2015 Entry Draft has come and gone and the Warriors made eight selections today, including four picks in the first 46 players selected. Here is an overview of the major selections taken today:

CF Lyndon King - 16th Overall, 6' 2", 205 lb., Northwestern University
We really, REALLY only liked about six players in this draft and those players, as expected, went in the top ten selections. King falls into the next category of guys we really like. He's defintely what one might call "toolsy", but his toolbox is pretty full. He can hit for power, but doesn't swing and miss too much and is expected to carry a good batting average. His overall batting eye is rated above average; we know how the Bong/McKenzie group values batting eye. Meanwhile, he has good speed and the requisite baserunning skills to go along with that trait. Finally, King is considered a good defender in center field, though his throwing arm is only projected as average. Overall, a good pick but certainly not a home run selection - the rest of the PEBA is too good for that.

LF Keitaro Sato - 41st Overall, 6' 0", 180 lb., Indiana University
The Warriors made another selection from the Perfect 10 Conference in drafting Keitaro Sato from Indiana in the second round. Sato is not a big man, but he carries a big stick as he finished with 69 home runs and 240 runs batted in over an accomplished four year
career with the Big Daddies. The scouts project him to have plus power from the corner outfield with a good contact rate. Additionally, he is not too shabby with the glove. We like that Sato is a switch hitter that seems to hit well from both sides of the plate. Should be a decent major league player someday.

SP Raúl Rey - 43rd Overall, 6' 0", 185 lb., Wilson Classical HS
Rey is not an overpowering pitcher, right now only throwing in the high 80s. Instead, he features three pitches (sinker, slider, changeup) that all have plus movement downward in the zone and he generally knows how to control the pitches. The mostly telling stats about Rey are that he allowed only 7 home runs and 29 walks in 190 innings over four seasons in high school. As with all high school pitchers, he will be a project, but by the middle of the second round, there wasn't much else to be had in the pitching ranks. His ceiling is probably a fourth starter (think Jesus Gonzalez), but keeping the ball in the yard is a necessary skill while pitching in Doyle Buhl Stadium.

LF Juan Rincón - 46th Overall, 6' 1", 175 lb., University of Memphis
Rincón is a lot like Sato, but even a little smaller and a more "toolsy". While he doesn't project to have all the tools that King was drafted for, the mix of explosive power and speed from Rincón is very interesting. Sprinkle it some decent defense, high intellegence, and plus work ethic and we can see why the brain trust likes this pick. Of course, one must question the reasoning behind drafting two players at a common position only five picks away from each other. Presumably only one of these players will continue with the organization in the long run - this looks like a 'best athlete available' type pick.

RF Estaçio Neuparth - 96th Overall, 6' 0", 190 lb., University of Alabama-Birmingham
Neuparth is another player with both power and speed, though he is a little more of a classic power hitter with a lower contact rate and plenty of swings and misses. His batting eye is considered a strength however so we will see if he can shorten his swing while maintaining his power stroke. Has some potential under the right development scheme, but projects to be a AAAA type player as we are not sure that he can hit enough to stay in the majors.

C Drake Turner - 99th Overall, 6' 3", 195 lb., Indiana University
This was more of a need pick for the Warriors in my opinion as they currently have no catching prospects slated to break camp for the SS-A Hanso. Turner is decent across the board - decent power, decent glove, decent batting eye - and showed productive numbers in four years at Indiana. He is not unlike current Warrior backstop Jason Gordon; his projection seems to be that range of decent backup catcher at the PEBA level.

This was not a spectacular draft for the Warriors as the top talent did not extend to the their selection in the first round, however they got four talented players in the first two rounds which could make an impact at the PEBA level someday plus a couple of bench talents that could have some upside.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#87 Post by Bill »

Flores, Walker, McNeill All Out in Duluth
November 1, 2015

The Warriors have announced that there will be significant coaching changes for the 2016 season after an underwhelming finish that left the team at 77-85 at season's end. Manager Miguel Angel Flores' contract was up at the end of the season and the team has announced that it will not be extending an offer to the 56-year old skipper. Flores led the Warriors to a 616-848 record in nine seasons in Duluth and never finished higher than fourth place in the Great Lakes division.

"Miguel is a great leader and has done a tremendous job in helping bring this franchise back to respectability," noted GM Bill McKenzie at a teleconference with the media. "But it is time to bring a new energy to the club and build a culture of winning in Duluth. We thanks Miguel for all he has done for this franchise and he will not be forgotten."

Flores will be replaced by bench coach Jeff Manning, who was hired by the Bong/McKenzie regime as the manager-in-waiting two seasons ago. The 42-year old Manning comes from a baseball family; his older brother Rick was a centerfielder and announcing icon for the Cleveland Indians for many years in the days of the MLB. The younger Manning wasn't the ball player (nor the eloquent speaker) that his brother was, but sported a keen mind for the game and instead became a coach.

The team also announced that pitching coach Jerry McNeill and hitting coach Kenny Walker will not back returning to the team in 2016. Walker was released from the remaining 2 years left on his contract after the Warriors finished in the bottom half of the SL in most offensive categories each of the last two seasons. McNeill chose to retire rather than remain with the new staff put together by McKenzie.

The team announced that it has hired rookie coach José Longoria to be the Warriors bench coach for the 2016. It is expected that the team will promote AAA hitting coach Sergio Galván to Duluth after having much success with recent players such as Javier Reyes and Ed Badger in Madison. No comments were made about possible successors to McNeill for the pitching coach position.
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#88 Post by Bill »

Ornelas, Kuhn, Carter All Win Spots on 25-Man Roster
April 2, 2016

Going into Spring Training, really only two spots were up for grabs on the Duluth Warriors 25-man roster - a fifth infielder and middle innings relief position. A late spring injury to starting shortstop Miguel Cortez opened up a third position to start the season. The Warriors made their final transactions today with infielders Gerard Dailey and Ikemoto Nakamura plus pitchers Alex Stinnett, Otis Mathews, Ricardo Salazar, and Alberto Vasquez being returned to AAA Madison.

Shortstop Jorge Ornelas made the team as a utility infielder after leading the contenders in all batting categories in his first spring with the big club. The team really likes his mix of defense and power and expects him to play once or twice a week around the infield. The injury to Cortez opened the door for AAA mainstay Nick Kuhn, who gets another shot in Duluth after spending the last five seasons in Madison. Kuhn struggled in the spring (3-for-24) and is expected to see limited playing time barring additional injuries.

Veteran pitcher Tom Carter won the final spot in the bullpen to start the season over incumbent reliever Otis Mathews and prospect Alex Stinnett. We at Unga Bunga...well, OK, really just myself...wanted to see Stinnett make the club and work his way into the rotation. But it was hard to argue with Carter's numbers (9 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 11 K) and Stinnett's 8-walk performance against Bakersfield somewhat sealed his fate. Carter did not fair well in his nine appearances last season (2-3, 6.37 ERA) with Duluth, but will get the first shot to be the swingman this season.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#89 Post by klewis »

Olaf - Do you think the organization has tempered their expectations for Spud Jones? At one point, he arguably has the highest ceiling of all of Duluth's young arms. He has a history of arm problems. It has been frustrating to see him continually get set back due to an injury here and there. Why can't he stay healthy?! Is it possible that one day the organization may have to consider moving him to the pen to save his arm?

Mean Green of Minneapolis
Bill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#90 Post by Bill »

Mean Green wrote:Olaf - Do you think the organization has tempered their expectations for Spud Jones? At one point, he arguably has the highest ceiling of all of Duluth's young arms. He has a history of arm problems. It has been frustrating to see him continually get set back due to an injury here and there. Why can't he stay healthy?! Is it possible that one day the organization may have to consider moving him to the pen to save his arm?
Dear Mr. Mean,

What you say is true. Spud was once a stud in the making, but by 2016 entering his age 27 year he has been relegated to being a fifth starter. Sure, he the fifth starter on one of the better rotations in the SL. But two years ago, I don't think anyone envisioned Albert Bush being a better option than Rich Jones for 2016.

I don't think that Jones has been terribly prone to injuries. He missed half the 2012 season, then of course he missed the end of the 2015 campaign. But it is certainly possible that his workload after first making the club may have led to the stunted Jones we see today. He threw a combined 228 innings between AAA Madison and Duluth in 2013, then led the PEBA in innings pitched in 2014 with over 231 innings. That's quite a haul for a 24 and 25 year old prospect.

That being said, I don't think we've seen the ship sail on Rich Jones just yet. He's not the 200 strikeout flamethrower he was when he came up, but showed even last week that he can still be effective. His most recent injury is not serious, just some lingering inflamation from the spring. The club is expected to let Tom Carter take his next start, then skip his turn with an off day to give him adequate rest. He should be as good as new in a couple weeks.

Thanks for reading - tell your friends about us!

Olaf

Return to “Duluth Warriors”