Free Agency? We don’t need no stinking free agency!!

kiersteadmo
Double-A
Double-A

Free Agency? We don’t need no stinking free agency!!

#1 Post by kiersteadmo »

December 10th 2025

The War Room as Jason Bong calls is is full of team representatives and a few select media personnel. A giant white board with hundreds of names written in black fill the center of the room. Many names are crossed out in red due to high demands and a few were erased due to injury concerns. Not a single chair in sight as Mark Kierstead said it would only make us lazy and relaxed; when we should be pushing forward.

Kierstead: I think we are looking at this all wrong, we have 20 pitchers on the board, who had the idea to add pitchers? We have a great looking bullpen as we speak.

Bong: I agree, we just made a few huge trades that brought us P José 'Bullfrog' Hernández, P Rubén 'Hollywood' Hernández, and P Eric Perkins. This is a damn good stack of pitchers. Erase the ones off the board.

An older man slowly erases every name under the pitcher template.

Bong: We did lose Júlio 'Tapper' González and who will we have replace him?

Kierstead: I did sit down with him 3 days ago and proposed a deal, to avoid him going to free agency. I swear we had the sit down. I remember printing out the contract and signed it. I told him to take a day to let me know. When I talked to him the day of arbitration he looked at me as if I had dreamed it up.

Kierstead look the window and smiles to the export gods

Bong: What was he asking for?

Kierstead: Well in the dream I had was around 8 mil to start and 16 mil at the end of a 6 year deal. But when we talked he wanted 18 mil..

Jason Bong spit out a mouthful of coffee on the white board.

Bong: 18… He knew we were going to be a little tighter on the contracts this year.

Kierstead: Either way we should figure this out sooner than later. What is our budget for Free agency?

Kierstead and Bong start flipping through papers and tossing a few out of the way but come up empty handed.

Bong: No idea. Where is Harold? He will have the numbers.

Lady:$5,397,236, a female voice in the back of the room can be heard saying.

Kierstead: Better than we thought!

Lady: You must’ve miss heard me, I mean -$5,397,237 and zero cents…

Bong look over and just smiles.

Kierstead: How is it that no one here knows but a strange woman in the back? Come on guys!! Get your crap things together… How could we not know this?
Bong looks to the back of the room and starts to wave a figure forward.

Bong: You in the back, come on down and tell us how you figured this all out on your own.

A small boy walks to the center of the room and hands over some scribbles on paper, the paper shows complex mathematical equations and at the very bottom reads. You over spent, just that simple!!!!

Bong starts to chuckle again and Kierstead gives him a look.

Bong: Calm down Mark, It does not matter; we made a killing last year and I think if we can improve our stadium a bit we can cover the cost easily. Now where did that lady go?

Kierstead: I know the voice and I am sure she will be back. I think we just need to clear the whole board and go home. The hell with free agency. I know we have a damn good chance this year and I am happy with the team. Tomorrow I will sit down with everyone and go over their duties and see if we have any questions, moans, and gripes.

Bong echoes Kierstead’s approach and waves for the board to be cleared and everyone is off home.

Bong: Yea, to hell with free agency. We have the team we just need to upgrade a little bit stadium wise. Time to visit the boosters.

Bong takes out his cell phone and starts to dial a number.

Bong: Hello Mayor, how goes it? Remember the election last year? Well I need that favor now. My season ticket holders won you that seat very easily.

Kierstead heads in the opposite direction, not going home; instead he heads to the office.
Mark Kierstead II

Return to “Duluth Warriors”