Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

April 2024 in Review by Heskin

#1 Post by Sandgnats »

CRYSTAL LAKE HERALD

SPORTS – GNATS NOW
The Winds of Change Keep Pushing The Sails of Crystal Lake's Winning Ways
Updated: May 1, 2024 – 07:30AM CDT

By Howard Heskin, Staff Writer – Twitter @HowardHeskin1

Fans this off-season with a shake up at Manager and other important staff positions including a new GM, were concerned as to how this season would start after another disappointing playoff run in 2023. An April of 18 wins and 8 losses has eased many concerns that Crystal Lake would be heading in the wrong direction this year. It seems that the banning of grape Gatorade and a new training staff has brought this team together to a quick start out of the gates.

Many had worries this year with an aging pitching rotation. However, with a starter ERA of 3.29 and bullpen ERA of 2.79 both ranked 3rd in the Sovereign League, it seems that the Three Amigos plus two are getting out to a good start. With a 102 runs against, Crystal Lake leads the Sovereign League. We can only hope that those old arms can keep it up the rest of the season. I recently spoke with Pitching Coach Joe Gillespie who indicated that the Gnats would be limiting the pitch counts this year before the All-Star Break at various times to help keep the crew fresh for September and a hopeful October run. He told me, "Well this off-season, I got together with our new Training Staff and Annan (Mathaathi) to plan out how to manage pitch counts more effectively to hopefully avoid what happened last year with Yogi."

The biggest addition to the staff this year is 23 year old Rookie Jim 'Nitro' MacCowan from Gorham, Maine. "Well he looked great when we called him up last season and this is his year to really prove why he was 1st overall pick in 2021. He's really developed nicely." stated Pitching Coach Joe Gillespie. With 5 starts in April, Nitro posted 4 wins and an ERA of 2.97. Notably we were all impressed how he handled his first big start against Aurora. With 7.1 innings pitched and no Earned Runs against a really tough hitting team he did not look intimidated at all. His performance was key in a tight 2-1 victory against the perennial All-Star and future Hall of Famer Mike Provost. "Well, I grew up watching him and it was just surreal to step out there against a guy I really idolized", stated Nitro. "Being out there on their field too just added to the moment. It was a special night for me to get the win for our team. I knew the guys really wanted to show Aurora we were back in it again this year."

Another new comer has also showed a great start to the season in the Outfield. I caught up with Rookie Raúl Uribe this week to discuss his impressive .297/.301/.405 with 11 RBIs, 4 HRs and 5 Stolen Bases. Known for his speed and defensive prowess, Crystal Lake is excited with the depth he is providing in the outfield this season. "Well, I love these guys. I just want to do my best at taking advantage of this opportunity.", he stated. "I love our new training staff. We have a really cool new floating tub in the club house where you can hear music underwater."

He looks to be starting at Left Field this year with a healthy rotation of 4 solid outfielders. "I really want to give all these guys enough breaks this year to stay fresh and our depth allows me that flexibility", stated Manager Joe Matterson.

In addition to these new comers, Crystal Lake favorites Manuel 'The Mayor' Corona, Jerry Long, and Wilson Muñóz are off to hot starts.

The Mayor in 6 starts posted a 2.59 ERA and a 4-1 record. After a terrible start at Okinawa giving up 5 Home Runs, the Mayor rebounded to win 3 in a row including one over rival Aurora.

Jerry Long starting at Center Field this season is hitting an impressive .319/.426/.602 with 7 HRs and 14 RBIs. Wilson Muñóz is leading the way with .310/.410/.563 6 HRs and 27 RBIs.

Unfortunately, off season acquisition Bobby Watson is hitting a horrific .179/.193/.286. Rumor is that he might be benched for the next few weeks for Josh Shaffer who has started hitting .321/.424/.536 with 28 at-bats off the bench this season.

After spending April on the road posting 14-6 record and going 4-2 at home. May brings 12 home games and 17 road games with tough series against Shin Seiki away with Aurora and Okinawa at home.

On a lighter note, "Gnic at night" with 5 dollar beers for college students for night games has a been a hit boosting attendance 10.8% over this time last year.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: April 2024 in Review by Heskin

#2 Post by Leones »

That was a fun read. Nice article. The blue Gatorade ban never gets old. :lol:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega