Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Sandgnats Walk Off Into History

#1 Post by Sandgnats »

CRYSTAL LAKE HERALD

SPORTS – GNATS NOW
Sandgnats Walk Off Into History
Updated: November 3, 2024 – 10:05PM CST

By Howard Heskin, Staff Writer – Twitter @HowardHeskin1

The magic is in the moment. The frozen moment when a baseball soars through the night and your mind begins to understand what's unfolding before your eyeballs.It all happens so fast in this sport. One instant, you are watching a team down to its final out, about to dig itself a mess of trouble. The next, the baseball flies off the bat, and the whole universe changes. It all changed as Klein sprinted around first, stomped on the second-base bag and shook his fist till the mob scene engulfed him. It all unfolded in a matter of seconds. But once the meaning of it all sank in, you began to realize what you'd just witnessed: Namely, a November baseball game that is going to be talked about for the rest of our lifetimes. Jim Klein launched a 400 ft, 2 run shot deep to send Crystal Lake to the Planetary Extreme Championship Series tonight. Crowds of people flowed into the streets of Crystal Lake to celebrate the victory at Ellison Field at Dole Park. The long suffering Crystal Lake, Illinois fans are excited to be now just 4 wins away from their first PEBA Championship in team history.

However, player of the game honors goes to Francisco 'Yogi' Robles who has redeemed himself in the hearts of Crystal Lake fans by pitching 8 strong innings, striking out 6 and allowing only 2 runs in the biggest game of his life. "Yo, I credit my boy Norihide for this one!", stated Yogi through a Japanese translator. Yogi Robles now speaks Japanese as a first language. "That Rosetta Stone was the best thing I ever did for our relationship." Yogi proclaimed as he carried Norihide over his shoulders into the clubhouse after the game.

Wilson Muñóz earned series MVP honors. For the series, Muñóz hit .304 with a .429 on-base percentage. He had 2 home runs, drove in 5 RBI and scored 4 runs.

But what will be remembered most about the playoffs for Sandgnats fans will be Jim Klein's unlikely walk off home run. "Well, the guys always make fun of me in the gym. I don't really bench more than 45lbs" said Klein. "I'm kind of surprised by this myself. You know 'Ogre' pitches really fast, so I think I was just lucky enough to connect."

We also saw Sandgnats owner Mr. Sydney Dole and first year General Manager RJ Ermola spraying champagne at it each other as they ran around the locker room after the game. "Don't worry we are going to re-bottle it after this plastic catches all champagne." yelled Mr. Dole. Being an economizer, Mr. Dole is not one to waste.

The Planetary Extreme Championship series will begin on Tuesday, November 5th, 2024 at 6:05PM CST with Mr. Nice Guy, Tony Cuellar on the mound for the Gnats. See you in Arlington for Game One!
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Sandgnats Walk Off Into History

#2 Post by Leones »

Re-bottled champagne? Mon dieu! :-P

Nice write up. ;-D
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

I was just going to say the same - classic line!!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
DanD
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by DanD »

Yummm, recycled champagne :smile:

Congrats RJ! I'm excited for a 'Crats v. 'Gnats PEC series!
Dan DiVincenzo
GM of Okinawa Shisa
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Leones »

sung to whatever tune suits your mood:

Oh grab your glove,
pick up your bat,
we're off to see
the 'Crats and Gnats