Sandgnats Introduce Tatsui Kouno

#1 Post by Sandgnats »

CRYSTAL LAKE HERALD

SPORTS – GNATS NOW
Sandgnats Introduce Tatsui Kouno
Updated: July 8, 2024 – 12:30PM CDT

By Howard Heskin, Staff Writer – Twitter @HowardHeskin1
SP Tatsui Kouno
This afternoon, Crystal Lake announced it traded to acquire Imperial League 2024 All-Star Starting Pitcher Tatsui Kouno from West Virginia. Excitement exploded on twitter as information regarding the trade was leaked to the press late last night. Kouno in 17 games this season has posted a record of 8-4 with a 3.16 ERA over 111 innings pitched including 112 strikeouts and a 1.15 WHIP. Crystal Lake sold the farm for this acquisition giving up its 2025 First Round pick, top prospect CF Pedro Flores and prospect C Moe Merkel. In exchange, West Virginia did send $3 million dollars in cash contained a large brief case handcuffed to the the 31 year old right handed pitcher from Sagamihara, Japan as he arrived at O'Hare International Airport yesterday night.

Rumors have been circulating for some time that Crystal Lake was looking for another solid starting pitcher for a playoff run and to finally achieve that first championship season after years of coming up just short. After failing to sign another starter this past off season, it was clear to management and fans alike that to be competitive and make a possible run at Aurora's recent dominance that some serious depth at starting pitching was necessary. Like I have stated before, we all love the 3 Amigos, but with an average age of 34, the window to bring home a championship is quickly about to slam shut if it does not get done this year. With crowd favorites Francisco Robles and Manuel 'Mayor' Corona fading this mid-season, some were wondering if Crystal Lake's staff just had nothing left in the tank. After acquiring young lefty, Tony Cueller, from Neo-Tokyo the writing is pretty much on the wall that we won't be seeing 'Yogi' back next season if the team does not exercise it's option for a $15.5 million 2025 season.

"I am very happy to be here in Crystal Lake and be part of something special. I hope I can contribute to winning a championship." stated Kouno at today's press conference. "I am excited and honored to now work with Norihide (Yamamoto) behind the plate."

"You know Howard, if this doesn't work out you can call me an idiot and chase me out of town" Ermola stated when I asked him if he believed Crystal Lake has been sacrificing too much of the future in recent acquisitions prior to the trade deadline. "We all know if we finally win this thing, I'll be a genius and if not well it is what it is, but I really believe we are building something special here."

Crystal Lake traded away its first round pick and also sent its top center field prospect to West Virginia for this acquisition. "You know if you want something good, you get what you pay for." Ermola stated. "We have a lot of flexibility right now and I credit the last general manager for not sticking us with any bad long term contracts. We have a solid farm system that was built over the years. But you know, we've been coming up just short the last few years and its time to try some bold moves. The people in metro Chicago... I mean Crystal Lake area are dying for a championship. We have a motto in the clubhouse this year... 'Hope and Change', Sound Familar Howard?"

As side from former president Obama; who has announced his intention not to shave until Crystal Lake wins its first championship as a fundraiser for his initiative 'My Brother's Keeper' - Time will only tell if this move puts Crystal Lake over the top. Most are not too worried about the team's ability to score runs this season, but did notice a slow but steady slide in pitching this year. Could this be enough? We shall see.

The team refused to answer questions if they were in negotiations for a contract extension with Kouno given that he is in the final year of his deal. All Ermola was willing to say was, "We talked about it before the deal occurred, but we have no comment at this time."
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “Crystal Lake Sandgnats”