Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Scottish Scoops: 29.002 "Claymores get their man, Part 2"

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
2029-01-19

The Scottish Claymores continued their lavish free agency spending spree on Friday by signing 4-time All-Star outfielder Pat Barry to a 5-year, $118 million contract that will pay him roughly $24 million per year.

Barry was signed, analysts believe, in an effort to offset the loss of slugger Don Mercer, who opted out of a $34-million-per-year contract at the end of last season’s playoff run by the Scottish.

Pat Barry

“Although it’s true the Claymores would have had a pretty good lineup without adding anyone else, it’s worth noting they didn’t really take off last season until after Mercer began producing,” said Malcolm Wilkes, Imperial League columnist for PEBA Weekly.

General Manager Vic Caleca said signing Barry was simply a good baseball move, not an effort to replace any one player.

“We didn’t say, ‘Go find a Mercer clone,’ or anything like that. We looked at the free agent class and went to find the best players who made sense for us,” Caleca said. “In Pat – and in Clark Snow last week – we think we did that.”

The Claymores signed starting pitcher Snow – who went 15-12 with a 3.34 ERA, a 3.32 FIP, and 3.9 WAR for London last season – to a 4-year, $51.5 million contract on Jan. 6.

Barry told reporters that he had specifically wanted to sign with Scotland, because he believes he can help them take the next step.

“We talked early on in the process and then Scotland dropped out of the discussions with my agent,” Barry said. “I personally emailed Mr. Caleca and asked him to please re-engage because I want to play for the Claymores. I like the talent here, I hear nothing but good things about the Clubhouse … this is where I want to be.”

That’s music to the Claymores’ ears, because Barry brings skills to the table that should prove invaluable in the coming season.

Last season in New Orleans, he slashed .275/.350/.485 with 34 home runs, 87 RBIs and 5.1 WAR. He may find Scotland an even friendlier home environment, because the short fence in right (322 feet) is a tempting target for left-handed power hitters such as Barry.

Clark Snow

“I won’t deny I’m looking forward to playing in the Castle,” Barry said. “It’s tailor-made for me.”
Fans, meanwhile, were overjoyed at news of the signing, with social media and sports talk shows brimming with optimism about what Barry’s addition might mean to the team.

“At least they’re willing to spend a little money and get some players in here,” said Brodie Stewart of Edinburgh. “We went all those years with guys whose names you can’t even remember who couldn’t play a lick. Pat Barry I’ve actually heard of!”

Sophie Arbuckle, a fan from Aberdeen, was even more enthusiastic.

“I think Pat can take us all the way,” she said. “He seems a much nicer lad than Don Mercer. I don’t think Mercer ever liked it here, but Pat wants to be here – we love that!”

Sources close to the team say they don’t expect much more free agent activity in the near term.

“We’ve addressed our starting rotation and lineup needs,” the source said. “Maybe if a bullpen deal of some sort presents itself, we’ll do something, but I wouldn’t count on it. There’s money left in the free agent budget – but not a lot. We feel pretty good about where we are now.”

And that’s something Scottish fans have rarely heard heading into a new season – they just hope the confidence isn’t misplaced.

“I like the team,” Brodie Stewart said. “I just worry that maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves.”
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Scottish Scoops: 29.002 "Claymores get their man, Part 2

#2 Post by Leones »

A very good acquisition. Barry should fit well into the Claymores organization.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Return to “Scottish Claymores”