Triple-A
Triple-A

Scottish Scoops: 29.001 "Claymores get their man"

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
2029-01-07

They got their man.

The Scottish Claymores announced Saturday that they have signed veteran starting pitcher Clark Snow to a four-year, $51.5 million contract.

Snow pitched last season for the London Underground, going 15-12 with a 3.34 ERA, a 3.32 FIP, and 3.9 WAR. He also has pitched effectively for Amsterdam and Aurora in his seven-year PEBA career.

Sources close to the team said General Manager Vic Caleca targeted Snow from Day One of the free agent period, along with Ronald Turton of Australia.
Clark Snow

“My sources tell me that Caleca put in strong offers for both, but Turton kept asking for more and more – more money, more years, you name it,” said Malcolm Wilkes, Imperial League columnist for PEBA Weekly. “Now that Snow has signed, I think Scotland will probably target either a reliever or a hitter to replace Don Mercer.”

Mercer, the slugging outfielder who spent the second half of last season with the Claymores and galvanized their playoff run, opted out of his $34 million-a-year contract and entered free agency at the end of the year.

Some observers wondered if the Scottish might try to lure Mercer back to the fold, but Caleca quickly shut down that speculation.
Mercer not in plans

“We appreciate Mr. Mercer’s contributions to the Claymores, but we have no interest whatsoever in bringing him back,” Caleca said. “We did not appreciate the way he dealt with the team at the end of the season, and feel it best if we go our separate ways.”

That still leaves a number of possibilities, though, including power hitters Alex Bothwell and Pat Barry, who are still unsigned.

Caleca was coy about the Claymores’ plans, though.

“We have an excellent lineup as it is, so we feel no urgency on that front, and we are genuinely excited to welcome Clark Snow to the Claymores family. We feel our starting rotation now is talented and deep,” he said.

Perhaps a bit too deep, Wilkes cautioned.

“Look, Snow’s a good addition, no question – I suspect he goes to the top of the rotation immediately,” said Wilkes. “But they also brought back Francisco Robles, Don Guthrie, and Roger Keller. And, of course, they’ve got Carlos Perez, who’s likely their No. 2 starter. So where does that leave Soichiro Ogawa, who won 18 games last season? Or Terry Dumont, who was a 14-game winner?

“A couple of those guys will either have to go the bullpen, or leave the team – unless you’re telling me the Scottish are going to pioneer a 7-man starting rotation. Seems unlikely.”

Caleca just laughed when told of those comments.

“Well, as problems go, having too many talented starting pitchers on your staff is one I can live with,” he said. “Who knows? Someone like Roger Keller could be dynamic in a stopper role. Spring training’s a long way away, and we’ll have plenty of time to figure these things out.

“For now, we just say, ‘Welcome, Clark Snow. We’re glad you’re here!”

And that, no doubt is true.

The Claymores, after all, did get their man.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Scottish Scoops: 29.001 "Claymores get their man"

#2 Post by Leones »

Nice pickup. It's been fun watching all the moves the Claymores have been pulling off. Next season's going to be a fun tussle.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by DrewV »

Congrats! Here's hoping Snow can bring it home for the Claymores.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Vic »

Havana, without question, is the gold standard in the Trans Atlantic, and we’re still chasing you guys. But I’m looking forward to the season - should be great fun!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Borealis »

Snow is a solid pick-up! He's aging pretty well, it seems...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Ghosts »

Interesting acquisition! I like how active Scottish has been with the new leadership!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Leones »

Claymores wrote:Havana, without question, is the gold standard in the Trans Atlantic, and we’re still chasing you guys. But I’m looking forward to the season - should be great fun!
With move like this and headlines like 'Claymores get their man" we're walking a lot more carefully in the PEBA jungle these days. It's getting dangerous out there! !+)
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Borealis »

Leones wrote:
Claymores wrote: It's getting dangerous out there! !+)
That's for sure...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions

Return to “Scottish Claymores”