Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Edinburgh News - 2028-11-14 "Scottish sign Robles"

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
2028-11-14

Edinburgh – The Scottish Claymores have signed legendary starting pitcher Francisco Robles to a one-year contract for an estimated $15 million.

Monday’s surprise signing was announced via press release by General Manager Vic Caleca, who called the news “most welcome, indeed.”

Team officials had been pessimistic about signing Robles, who pitched well for the Claymores until going down with a season-ending shoulder injury in early June. The 38-year-old left-hander had reportedly been asking for a three-year contract at nearly $17 million annually.

Franciso Robles signs

“There was no way the Claymores were going to do that,” said Malcolm Wilkes, who writes the Imperial League column for PEBA Weekly. “I mean, Caleca is eccentric to a fault, but he ain’t a moron.”

For his part, Robles seemed thrilled to have a chance to finish what he started with the Claymores.

“It’s nice to be settling into a role here in Edinburgh,” Robles said. “I didn’t think I would still be here, but I thought the team’s offer was a good one. And, at my age, why not stick around?”

Robles was 6-2 with a 2.78 ERA and the undisputed ace of the Claymores staff before he went down with serious shoulder inflammation – the first major injury of his storied 14-year career. He has a 223-159 career mark, and a 3.29 ERA over 3,522.2 innings pitched. Opposing clubs are batting .243 lifetime against him and he has logged 2,531 career strikeouts.

Now, team officials hope he can pick up where he left off and help stabilize a starting rotation that was decimated by injuries a year ago.

With last year’s No. 3 starter Jorge Vázquez out for a year after undergoing Tommy John surgery on his elbow, long-time starter Kazuhiko Nishiyama departing for free agency, and mid-year pickup Roger Keller coming off his own shoulder woes, the staff can use the help.

“I look forward to getting back out there and helping the Scottish get back to the playoffs,” Robles said. “I can’t wait for spring training.”

Robles’ signing, of course, was made possible by the team’s decision to part ways with slugger Don Mercer, who had opted out of the final years of his $34 million contract and had been asking a reported $42 million a year spread over 6 years.

The team at first submitted an offer to Mercer meeting those terms, but thought better of it a day later and told the star outfielder he would not be returning.

Mercer was acquired at the trade deadline from the Duluth Warriors, but never seemed happy in Edinburgh. He got off to a slow start with the team, but then caught fire in September and helped boost the Claymores into the postseason.

Caleca and other team officials have said they have decent free agent budget and will try to find good players to come in and replace Mercer’s production.

“There is a lot of talent out there, and we will go get it,” Caleca said. “We don’t want to force Don or anyone else to play here. If you don’t want to play for the Claymores, we don’t want you, either.”

News Briefs
COACHING CHANGES … The Claymores announced they have signed Larry Klinger, a batting coach with a “great” reputation, to a three-year contract to replace the departing Louie Beverly, who never quite clicked with the team … The team also signed Quincy van Tiggelen to replace Steve Lester, whose contract was not renewed. Van Tiggelen is an unknown quantity as a coach, but is said to be an accomplished sabermetrician and someone that Manager Hayato Sasaki wanted to work with … MIXED MINOR LEAGUE NEWS … Claymores Minor League Batter of the Year Bob Sutherland agreed to an extension with the team’s minor league system. Jerry Pearson, the team’s Minor League Pitcher of the Year, told officials he plans to test free agency, however. The team has submitted a minor league extension offer to Pearson, anyway, and officials said they will wait and see what happens.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Edinburgh News - 2028-11-14 "Scottish sign Robles"

#2 Post by Sandgnats »

Yogi! I hope he has a shot at it this season. Glad to see him not go out in an injury.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “Scottish Claymores”