History: First Draft Pick Retrospective

Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: History: First Draft Pick Retrospective

#31 Post by Vic »

I've been reading through some of the posts about the fraud - good grief! That was insane ... why in the world would anyone go to that kind of trouble? And, incidentally, what a jerk to screw around with something so many people had spent so much time building up.

Sometimes you have to wonder about humanity ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Leones »

Borealis wrote:... It would be a nice (fun, excellent... pipe dream) if we one day could resurrect some of the remaining LRS teams (and PEBA) teams) from the WIL. If we got some interest come the upgrade to v20, who knows what 2030 might bring to the PEBA...
That would be some fun. The LRS had some great stories and characters. (gaijin! posting! juuki!) It'd be good to see the old clubs back in action. Might even have to dust off the world's only Edo Battousai baseball cap. :grin:
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Ghosts »

Claymores wrote:I've been reading through some of the posts about the fraud - good grief! That was insane ... why in the world would anyone go to that kind of trouble? And, incidentally, what a jerk to screw around with something so many people had spent so much time building up.

I'm also curious as to how he was caught. I want the juicy details of his exile!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#34 Post by Alleghenies »

Well it became a little obvious and ip addresses too if I am correct.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#35 Post by Leones »

Bears wrote:
Claymores wrote:I've been reading through some of the posts about the fraud - good grief! That was insane ... why in the world would anyone go to that kind of trouble? And, incidentally, what a jerk to screw around with something so many people had spent so much time building up.

I'm also curious as to how he was caught. I want the juicy details of his exile!
Rumor in Havana has it that the body was buried in Cooperville:

As the debris settled the underlying sewage pipes burst from the pressure giving birth to what came to be known as “Cooperville” Nobody is exactly sure where the name started but the locals all seems agree that the name arose about the same time PEBA started evaluating the site for its global endeavors. The odor was epic, enough to overwhelm the sun racked fish carcasses and hurricane detritus.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#36 Post by Vic »

Couldn't help myself - went back and read through a bunch of the postings (not all - there are a lot of them), and I have to say that while I'm sure some of the veterans probably think of that as the league's low point, I think it's actually a high point.

The way everyone pulled together to fix the damage and move forward as a community was really something.

I've been thoroughly impressed by the league, its members, and its leadership, and I'm even more impressed now.

Well done, gentlemen.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Borealis »

Leones wrote:
Bears wrote:

Rumor in Havana has it that the body was buried in Cooperville:

As the debris settled the underlying sewage pipes burst from the pressure giving birth to what came to be known as “Cooperville” Nobody is exactly sure where the name started but the locals all seems agree that the name arose about the same time PEBA started evaluating the site for its global endeavors. The odor was epic, enough to overwhelm the sun racked fish carcasses and hurricane detritus.
I think there was also some rumors that some Hitmen from New Jersey may have been involved...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#38 Post by Ghosts »

Claymores wrote:Couldn't help myself - went back and read through a bunch of the postings (not all - there are a lot of them), and I have to say that while I'm sure some of the veterans probably think of that as the league's low point, I think it's actually a high point.

The way everyone pulled together to fix the damage and move forward as a community was really something.

I've been thoroughly impressed by the league, its members, and its leadership, and I'm even more impressed now.

Well done, gentlemen.
Seconded. You guys did a genuinely amazing job.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#39 Post by Borealis »

Thanks guys!! It was a Community Effort to get to where we are today!!

I would like to request, in the interest of not hijicking Vic's Thread any further, if you want to discuss LRS-related things, can we start a new thread in General Discussions? I don't want to discourage conversation about this subject, but let this thread get back on track. Thanks!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Akira
All-Star
All-Star

#40 Post by Akira »

Ugh, just saw your post Mike. We kinda did hijack this thread...sorry, Vic.
Yes, there was no undoing the tangled mess he had created, multiple teams and multiple trades that entangled many of the other teams as well. In hindsight we should have noticed it sooner. There would be trade offers involving several of his teams and there would be nearly instant responses from both "GMs". The commish at the time was astute enough to - yes - check the IP origins of those messages and found they were coming from the same source. I guess we were just thinking we were fortunate enough to have some highly active new owners.

After his banishment from the PEBA universe, he was actually spotted on the OOTP forums trying to recruit for a new league, and had copied virtually word for word the PEBA constitution. Imagine if he was the commissioner of a league! The horror. Needless to say, he was publicly called out on the forums and immediately slithered away.
Claymores wrote:I'm sure some of the veterans probably think of that as the league's low point, I think it's actually a high point.

Like Watergate? :,-(
Borealis wrote: What it did do was bring over a strong, long-tenured group of GMs to the PEBA (Kevin, Patrick, Greg and Ron - who remain to this day - and Mark who until recently, when he had to drop) and the added stability - and competition
...and who currently have the four best records in the PEBA. The LRS lives!
RonHi
ronhi0@yahoo.com
Neo-Tokyo Akira
Trade Block updated on 2/12/2021
2012 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
2017 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#41 Post by Fishermen »

I believe Mike you have the power to move all these LRS posts to another thread? Perhaps titled The LRS - 10 years on ?
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by Lions »

I'm a bit behind on the forums so I'm just now getting to this thread. I love the draft retrospectives... they really are quite interesting and it's fun to see how teams have battled through failed picks or seen others really succeed.

I'm not sure what happened to the 2009 LRS draft, but I do know that the league history has a couple of odd quirks in it. First, to keep league file size down, OOTP has a setting that lets you reuse player ID's for players that never make the majors. I'm not sure what it's set to now, but this has resulted in gaps in the league history where a player drafted previously was replaced by a new player down the line and the old player's information is lost to time. This shouldn't affect high draftees as much, but it can. My 2013 #6 overall pick is an example of this. Comments on Carlos Avila... click his name in that post and you'll be taken to a different player.

The other oddity is one that I'm not sure if it applies in game or only to the export that StatsLab gets. This one is that the player database table stores information about the Rule 4 (amateur draft), expansion, and contraction drafts in the same spot and only the most recent. That means that some of that data can get overridden. So it's possible to lose a player's original draft data from anything but the textual history associated with the draft.

Neither of these explain 2009, but they are good reminders that posting about your drafts on the forums is always a nice way to get that information saved off somewhere for when OOTP mangles things up.
Akira wrote:Needless to say, he was publicly called out on the forums and immediately slithered away.
Only temporarily. He made a few different attempts, eventually under pseudonyms. He was relatively young, and I hope he learned and has moved on from that.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030

Return to “Scottish Claymores”