History: First Draft Pick Retrospective

Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: History: First Draft Pick Retrospective

#16 Post by Ghosts »

I read through some of the conversation surrounding that scandal and the merger. Fascinating! Kevin, thanks for fighting to keep the Ghosts alive. I'm not sure what ever happened to them, but I might consider spending some CP to convert my AAA team to the new Ghosts, if that's possible.

Edit: I see they are actually computer controlled in the WIL now. Nice!
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#17 Post by Vic »

If that folder is still around somewhere and could be restored, that would be excellent. Would anyone still around know about that?
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#18 Post by Vic »

That LRS scandal, by the way, is one of the most amazing things I’ve heard. I have enough trouble managing one team, let alone 4 or 5 ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Evas »

Claymores wrote:That LRS scandal, by the way, is one of the most amazing things I’ve heard. I have enough trouble managing one team, let alone 4 or 5 ...
It's not that hard when you use them for different purposes. One to dump salary on to, one to build for the future, one to WIN-NOW....

I remember being surprised with the speed and size of the deals before I found out what happened. The whole thing was bananas.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:
Claymores wrote:That LRS scandal, by the way, is one of the most amazing things I’ve heard. I have enough trouble managing one team, let alone 4 or 5 ...
It's not that hard when you use them for different purposes. One to dump salary on to, one to build for the future, one to WIN-NOW....

I remember being surprised with the speed and size of the deals before I found out what happened. The whole thing was bananas.
And it was no joke - It really nearly killed the league. Not just the poor LRS - which I guess in retrospect, at least some of the GMs (if not all) were happy to get into the PEBA door (if not sad to see the LRS go) - I recall there were also some conversations about parity and combining over the earlier years. What it did do was bring over a strong, long-tenured group of GMs to the PEBA (Kevin, Patrick, Greg and Ron - who remain to this day - and Mark who until recently, when he had to drop) and the added stability - and competition, really helped those post-controversy years...

It would be a nice (fun, excellent... pipe dream) if we one day could resurrect some of the remaining LRS teams (and PEBA) teams) from the WIL. If we got some interest come the upgrade to v20, who knows what 2030 might bring to the PEBA...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#21 Post by Vic »

That would be pretty cool. I have to admit, I love the "Celestial Warriors" nickname. Wouldn't mind renaming one of my Japanese minor league teams ... maybe Fukumitsu!

Again, though, if Dylan or anyone might have a guess at where the LRS folder might be, would love to explore it ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by Borealis »

Resurrected by demand!!

http://pebabaseball.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=32

Thanks Dylan!!

Read-only, no posting...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#23 Post by Fishermen »

Fantastic! Thanks to Mike and Dylan for that, and also to Vic for bringing it up and resurrecting many memories for us old LRS managers.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#24 Post by Vic »

Excellent, you guys! This will be invaluable!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Evas »

Neat. I will definitely dig in to that.

Thanks!

Edit: Much better. I was able to find the 6 historical SS Minor League Player of the Year winners I wasn't sure about. I had previously guessed who they might be and got 3/6 right. The others were mostly forgettable. Though, apparently, 2019 winner 2B Takane Chikafuji managed to somehow sneak in to the PEBA All-Star game in 2027.
Last edited by Evas on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#26 Post by Alleghenies »

Borealis wrote:Resurrected by demand!!

http://pebabaseball.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=32

Thanks Dylan!!

Read-only, no posting...
Thanks. I was going to look for an old web scrape, now I don't have too.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#27 Post by Alleghenies »

Claymores wrote:That would be pretty cool. I have to admit, I love the "Celestial Warriors" nickname. Wouldn't mind renaming one of my Japanese minor league teams ... maybe Fukumitsu!

Again, though, if Dylan or anyone might have a guess at where the LRS folder might be, would love to explore it ...

I have thought of using that name for one of my teams (I was the manager of them for many seasons and even brought them to Dayton).
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#28 Post by Vic »

Oh, wow, Greg ... well, you should probably be the one doing the draft picks review, not me!

But, given that you probably have enough to do without that ... a couple of quick questions: In the team histories, records and draft picks, etc., go back to 2007, but a quick glance through the LRS forum looks like 2010 was the inaugural season. Did they do some sims with no human owners before they launched the league? Or am I just misreading things ...

And it looks like none of the LRS teams had any draft picks in 2009?

Just curious what was up with that ...
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by Evas »

Claymores wrote:Oh, wow, Greg ... well, you should probably be the one doing the draft picks review, not me!

But, given that you probably have enough to do without that ... a couple of quick questions: In the team histories, records and draft picks, etc., go back to 2007, but a quick glance through the LRS forum looks like 2010 was the inaugural season. Did they do some sims with no human owners before they launched the league? Or am I just misreading things ...

And it looks like none of the LRS teams had any draft picks in 2009?

Just curious what was up with that ...
2010 was the first human run season for the LRS. It was AI run before that.

That is an interesting point about the 2009 draft. I have no idea what was going on there. Maybe John might know?
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#30 Post by Borealis »

That was before my time...

Return to “Scottish Claymores”