Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Yes...Casey will be at bat

#1 Post by Vic »

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.

"Yeah, every stop, every level, maybe every game," grimaced newly acquired OF Peter Casey,"frankly, I don't even hear it anymore. I've gotten hits and struck out and everything in between, still, the mighty Casey I remain." Not unaware of his poetic riff on the poem, and maybe with a little bit of resignation, Peter is sure he will never be separated from the famous poem. But he is excited to know that he will get his chance at the PEBA level, even if it is with the cellar dwelling Claymores.

Tanner indicated that Casey will be a big part of the outfield during the 2027 season. "Our scouts think he is ready, and he seemed to show signs of that in 2025, but not a successful in 2026- but either way we think we have a player with a fair amount of talent who will fill a need for us for years to come." If this is perhaps too rosy of an assessment, its because nothing seems to be too permanent in the Claymores organization currently. Unless you count losing. The Claymores lost games, players, and continue to slide into the bottom of the league as yet another program set to rebuild is started by another architect that believes he has the key to success. The offense, which was nothing to write home about last year, is nearly unrecognizable with only three hold overs who played significant time still remaining. The pitching staff fares somewhat better, but nobody expects either group to jump ahead of the struggling Claymores of last year.

The plan which seems to require little originality and even less skill to push forward is for the Claymores to amass draft picks and young talent in hopes of creating a base of success that will rise up from the minors and fill the majors with quality players. The real question will be if the fans and by extension the ownership has enough patience for long term team building or will the lack of results have Tanner and company run out on a rail or a claymore as may be more apropos.

The Claymores are not lacking in cash to speed along thier transformation, but Tanner has been hesitant to hand out any long term contracts with big dollars connected. "We are staying liquid over the next few years. Maybe there will be a player worth opening the check book for, but really we feel that the future for us to compete is quite a ways away, so we aren't rushing to overpay some supposed super star money they won't be able to earn over the life of their contract," mused Tanner.

Casey for his part is ready for the jeers and cheers he will receive as a rookie batter at the PEBA level. "I hope to be the hero more often than the zero, but fans are fickle switching fiddles faster than Nero."
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Akira
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Yes...Casey will be at bat

#2 Post by Akira »

I was sorry to see Casey go but with a plethora of young OFs (left handed to boot) he was expendable. I think he is too raw for the ML level but if you can bear a few years worth of struggles he may work out.
RonHi
ronhi0@yahoo.com
Neo-Tokyo Akira
Trade Block updated on 2/12/2021
2012 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
2017 Neo-Tokyo Cup Winner
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Borealis »

If you can bear the K’s - though he looks like he’s improving there. I think it’s a good snag - my scout thinks he’s as good as he’s going to get - ratings-wise, not to shabby at the plate, and a fast, solid OF is always valuable...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#4 Post by Vic »

Yeah, my scouts think he has hit his growth on ratings..or at least the big picture...he did seem to struggle a bit last year, but hey he is fast and plays fairly good defense, so we will take a flyer on him and see how it goes....
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores

Return to “Scottish Claymores”