Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

Edinburgh News - 2028-11-21 "Sasaki Wins Manager of Year"

#1 Post by Vic »

By Hamish Campbell
The Edinburgh News
2028-11-21

Hayato Sasaki went from a virtual baseball unknown to the Imperial League Manager of the Year in his first year on the job.

With his calm, unassuming – almost professorial demeanor – Sasaki seems an unlikely candidate to even sit in a major league dugout, much less win manager of the year.

And yet, that’s precisely where the 48-year-old native of Akashi, Japan, finds himself.

“It’s remarkable, really,” Sasaki said. “I want to thank the members of the baseball press who voted to give me this award, but most of all I want to thank my players who never quit on the season, even when things seemed to be going against us.

“They made it easy to come to work each morning, and it was exhilarating to watch them achieve history for our franchise.”

Indeed, under Sasaki’s leadership, the Claymores won a franchise record 96 games, finished just two games out of first place in the tough Trans Atlantic Division, and made it all the way to the Imperial League championship series before falling in the seventh and deciding game.

“This was an honor well deserved,” said Claymores General Manager Vic Caleca, via press release from his Central Indiana headquarters. “I liked Hayato from the moment we met, and I have never regretted putting him at the Claymores helm. I look forward to working with him in the coming season, and many more besides.”

Sasaki’s players seemed thrilled for their manager, but perplexed by one line in the BNN story that announced his honor.

“Yeah, that story said he prefers to be called “Cap” or “Skip,” said outfielder Peter Casey. “Whoever wrote that must be smoking crack, because I have never, ever heard anyone call him either of those.”

Catcher Jason Aaron snickered at that.

“Yeah, but he better get used to it, because I guarantee you that’s all anyone’s gonna call him now,” Aaron said.

When told of the team’s reaction, Sasaki seemed horrified.

“Oh, no, no, no. That would be most unfortunate,” he said. “I am Hayato to everyone, and that is how I like to be called. No Skip. No Cap. Just Hayato, thank you very much.”

You tell ‘em, Skip.

News Briefs
COACHES SIGNED … The Claymores announced the addition of two new pitching coaches to the organization on Tuesday … Rubén Urive was hired to coach pitchers at the team’s Class A franchise in Govan. The 41-year-old has no professional experience as a coach, but has worked with high school and college pitchers and has a reputation for working well with young talent, which appealed to Claymores brass … The team also announced the hiring of former major league legend Chris “Moondog” York as the pitching coach for the Aberdeen Golden Sands AAA affiliate. York is a three-time winner of the Imperial League Golden Arm Award and a nine-time All-Star who retired at the end of the 2028 from the Crystal Lake Sandgnats organization. “We realize Chris has no coaching experience at this point, but there is no question that our young pitchers can benefit greatly just from being in the same room with him,” Claymores GM Vic Caleca said. “We anticipate great things from Chris, and our entire organization is excited to welcome him aboard!” … PEARSON SIGNS … In a reversal from his earlier position, Claymores Minor League Pitcher of the Year Jerry Pearson agreed to a minor league extension after first telling the team he wanted to test free agency. Pearson has been lightly regarded by the scouts throughout his career, but turned in an effective season for Inverness in 2028. The team announced that he would begin 2029 at AAA Aberdeen. “We’re delighted that Jerry changed his mind,” said Golden Sands Manager Takehide Yamada. “We look forward to giving him the opportunity to work with our new pitching coach, Chris York. This is exciting for Jerry, and for us.”
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores

Return to “Scottish Claymores”