Previewing the Leones

Leones
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Previewing the Leones

#1 Post by Leones »

5 Mar 2029
-Our man in Havana

On Spring Training Eve, here’s a preview of the 2029 Leones from our man in Havana.

Catcher
Gareth van Wondel
Will Vogel
Yong-Kook Ch’oe

No surprises behind the plate. van Wondel will be the primary catcher with Vogel returning as backup. The club will be taking a hard look at defensive backstop Yong-Kook Ch’oe who is most likely a September call up.

First Base
Ira Murdoch
Bill Jones
Ty Rigsby

Murdoch gets the nod after a solid 2028 campaign in which he posted a 2.3 WAR. Jones is expected to platoon in LF and will be available as a backup at first.

Second Base
Dave Hurley
Colby Peña
Pedro Rodríguez

A weak spot for the Leones in recent years, they look to Hurley to bring some offense to the position. Hoping that the intangibles he brings will make up for any defensive deficits. Peña hopes to benefit with some time to study from the bench. It’s hoped that Rodríguez will also be able to grow while Hurley shoulders the primary load.

Third Base
Vern Duncan
Colby Peña
Elvis Mason

The hot corner in Havana belongs to Vern Duncan. ‘Nuff said. Peña will provide backup. Not expected to make the club this year, Elvis Mason will be on a short tour of third base.

Shortstop
Ricardo Mateo
Emilio Diaz
Colby Peña

‘Ogre’ only needed a single season to lock down the position and establish himself as an offensive force. Featherheads Ken says I have to play him, so I do, :) He be backed up by Diaz and Peña.

Left Field
Bill Jones
Mike Hale
Motoki Suzuki
Robby Lee
Mark White
Sergio Sosa
Tim Churchill

In the immortal words of Red Barber. “Oh doctor!” (or if you prefer, to paraphrase Henny Youngman with “Take my left field, please!) All eyes will be on Left Field in the spring and possibly throughout the season. Here is where the action is. It’s hoped that Bill Jones can take over but should he falter you can expect any/all of these guys to get a look. Lee is a strong prospect who really should be allowed a couple more seasons to develop. Hale just needs to play to his ability. Suzuki’s probably done at this level. In Jones we trust.

Center Field
Maxime Plamondon
Jason Box
Tim Churchill

Plamondon the 23 year old Canadian gets the node here. Box will likely provide the backup duties but could find himself in AAA after expressing frustration at not being able to get more at bats.

Right Field
Claudio Hernandez
Sergio Sosa
Scott Martin

Hernandez had a breakout 2028. He’ll get the job in 2029. Sosa will get a chance to back him up as will Martin. Sosa will be the likely backup though the fluid situation in LF will certainly have some bearing on what happens behind Hernandez.

Starting Pitcher
Enrique Vázquez
Kenny Ashley
Juan López
Glenn Thomas
Jonathan Sherwin

Believe it or not this group is looking for redemption. After Scottish cleaned Vázquez’ clock in game 6 of the League Championship, these guys grew a chip on their collective shoulder. Look for another strong season from this bunch.

Bullpen

Allen Cook
Don Montgomery
Arinori Mochizuki
Guy Bailey
Ryan Muller
Javier Juárez
Brian Anderson
Corey Robinson
Charlie Holman
Ricardo Pérez

An area the club was looking to make some improvements in remains uncertain. After spending most of 2028 on the injured list. Mochizuki looks to rebound and show the form he displayed when he first came up to PEBA with the Evas. Montgomery, Cook and Anderson will be expected to return. Perez is a lock as closer. More questions than answers here. The new guys have an opportunity to grab a spot if they can shine.

In summary, this year’s club is not a lot different from last year’s but there are opportunities for a few key players to really make a difference and take the club further. Winning the division again will prove a challenge and should be the goal for this group.
Patrick Hildreth
- La leña roja tarde pero llega

KenH
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Previewing the Leones

#2 Post by KenH »

Leones wrote: Featherheads Ken says I have to play him, so I do, :)

:lol: Thank you!

I'm looking for Havana to have another strong year, especially with a similar cast from last year's team. It should be a tough fight between you and the Scottish all year -- definitely a fun story line!
Ken Hannahs -- Farstriders GM (2023-2037)
2025, 2033, 2034, 2035 PEBA Champion
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#3 Post by DrewV »

Ogre is a monster and I love his nickname.

Great writeup Pat, thanks!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#4 Post by Sandgnats »

Patrick I love how your team quietly moves ahead in the IL. You're the sleeper this year.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*

Return to “Havana Leones”