Calzones blog

Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

Re: Calzones blog

#16 Post by Simon »

4-3 start to the season for Calzones, not bad ;-D

Our offence was really bad though, bottom line in almost every cathegory: 15th in AVG, 16th OBP, 14th SLG, 16th OPS, 14th home runs, 16th in bases on balls.
Only a couple guys had good first week, one of them is rookie sensation (at the age of 30.305) 2B Jose Hernandez .316 AVG, .824 OPS, the other one is C Samuel Kettley with .729 OPS.
Everyone else sits on under .300 OBP, four of them with under .150 OBP(!) %-6

Luckily enough pitchers picked up the slack.
Junior Cook allowed 1 run in 13 innings, Sakai 1 good game out of 2, Rodriguez two decent starts, even Bob Harris had a good game until horrible 7th inning vs WV.
Relievers were even better: Kichida 3 saves no runs, 15.8 K/9, Yoshimura 1 win, 1 save, no runs, Hall no runs in 4.2 innings

Weird activities happening in the staff were noticed though.
Cook was hooked in game vs WV after 5 innings and 1 run allowed, he threw only 93 pitches until then.
Similar thing happened to Sakai in game vs NO: 5 innings, 1 run allowed, 84 pitches.
"Gauntlet" lasted 6 innings each start, 94 and 83 pitches.

But when we actually needed this kind of decision, it didnt happen. In first 6 innings of the game vs WV Bob Harris allowed only 2 runs, and if my coach was consistent in his decisions, Harris would be hooked after that. But he wasnt and allowed 5 additional runs in 7th inning. 97 pitches thrown by him that day.

--------

On the side note: our projected 2023 budget went up from 81 to 114 ;-D
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#17 Post by Simon »

4-2 sim, we're slowly crawling back to our usual .500 ball. Swept Hitmen is a plus ;-D

Finally a little more life in the offense.
Rookie SS Diaz continues to provide good numbers: .333/.385/.500 last week.
Flores, Wright and Peterson showed good performance in their 3 started games: respectively 1.1k, 1k and .870 OPS.
But the best last week was Johnny Dand: .476/.500/.714, 10 hits, 5 doubles, 6 rbi. Funny thing is he wasnt suppose to start any games last sim, but for some reason my export didnt go through !+)

For the same reason Hudson got injured: he was suppose to be replaced by Tucker (who is coming back after injury too lol). By the way Hudson had really slow start to the season, hopefully he can bounce back later, i need his good performance if we want to fight for 2nd place.

Thanks to guys mentioned above (and few others as well, Johnson and Kettley had decent weeks as well) we are no longer worst offensive team in IL! 15th in OBP, 16th ins SLG, but 13th in runs scored! :bang: Also 5th in strikeouts, the only cathegory we are top 10 in.

There is still way to go for offense to catch up, but pitchers have been really good whole month. Starters ERA is 7th, bullpen ERA even better: 5th. Also we are 3rd in defensive efficiency.

Junior Cook continues to show great performance. Hes doing all he can to help fans forget about Randy Smith: 1.89 ERA, 3.09 FIP, 9.2K/9, 4.5 bb/9 and 0.2 HR/9 in 6 starts. His shutout last sim helped us avoid sweep by Havana. His walks ratio isnt so great, but still its his best to date, which is an optimistic sign. So far this year hes doing even better than Jimenez from Aurora, which i really like to see, since i wanted him instead of Cook for Randy Smith.

Moving on, both Cordova and Gardner have been pretty impressive so far. Cordova allowed 1 run in each of his last 2 starts, Gardner had great 2 starts out of his last 3: 2 runs in 8+ innings each.

Bullpen: Jo Kichida boyz! :bang:
Man, this guy has been so great, no one remembers Marshall anymore. 0.77 ERA, 7 saves, 16.2 K/9(!!), 2.3 BB/9, no home runs, but 1 loss (yeah he allowed 1 run :()
Another good guy in pen is Steve Hall: 0.69 ERA, 8.3/4.8/0.0 stats. I almost traded him away in the offseason, glad i didnt (i heard that one before somewhere).

After injury setback, our most promising prospect 2B Jack Speed was sent to AA Monterey for rehab. What happens to him after that is yet to be decided. Probably he will be promoted to AAA Joplin for few weeks before giving him a shot at PEBA level, we dont want to rush him after injury.
Simon Kuliszewski
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by roncollins »

Kichida can certainly be quite brilliant. We miss him. On the other hand, Escobido is doing pretty much want we needed from him, too. with an OBP over .400 and ++defense up the middle. We'll see who the pick turns out to be soon enough.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Triple-A

#19 Post by Simon »

3-4 week, not ideal but still solid. We could win 1 or 2 more games, if our relievers didnt drop the ball.

But more exciting things first: after great performance during his rehab time in AA and AAA, Jack Speed is finally going to be called up to prove he is worth playing with big guys. And he is gonna be thrown in at the deep end too: he is going to lead things off vs righties. Hopefully he can handle the pressure.

Calling Speed up, means i had to demote someone. That someone is our 1B Ruben Memde. After great 2021 year we expected a lot more from him this season, but he's been struggling so far. Few weeks in AAA Joplin may help him figure things out. Lowell Peterson will take his job for the time being.

Charlie Tucker was injured again, so he's is swapping back with Jimmy Hudson, who's coming back ... after injury. Let's see how long he will stay healthy this time.

The worst things happened in the pen though.

Jorge Cordova made great effort to win 2nd game of the series vs Charleston: he was leaving the game after 6th inning when the game was tied 1-1, striked out 8 and walked 2. All his work was in vain, because Barrios allowed 2 runs in his 2 innings, and Hall additional 3 in his 0.1 inning. Final score: 1-6 :evil:

We move forward 2 days, last game of the series. Hoyt Garnder allowed 4 runs (3 earned) in 6 innings. Not the best of his starts, but the game was still close: 3-4 when he was leaving. Then again duo Barrios - Hall came into action: first one allowed 2 runs (0 earned) in 1.2 innings, the other one 1 more in 0.2 innings. Final score: 3-7 :evil:

Next one is 2nd game of the series vs Hartford: poor start from Rodriguez, 4 innings, 6 runs. But again, game was still very much winnable. 3 strong innings from Medina kept our hopes alive, but Taizo Ine killed them very quickly: 4 runs in 0.2 innings earned him L and BS. 1 additional run from Caballero in 1.1 innings didnt change much. 10-11 final score :evil:

The only good guy in the pen was, surprise surprise, Jo Kichida. 2 saves, 1 win, no runs in 3 innings pitched. Lately we win only when Kichida shows up on the mound. Too bad we dont have more "Crackers" in San Antonio, we could be .550 team right now.

Offensively and defensively nothing much changed since last sim. Everyone stays on the same solid level.
Hopefully team will react well to Speed and Hudson coming into the lineup.
Simon Kuliszewski
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#20 Post by Simon »

2-1 series vs Florida, 1-2 vs RGV, zzzZZz

Jimmy Hudson is coming back after injury and he's on fire! 3, 2, 2, 2, 2 - numbers of hits in his last 5 games, including 3 doubles and 2 homers. He is already 26yo and its about time he starts providing some good numbers.

Jack Speed started 2022 season last week and his first 6 games were pretty good: 6 walks, 5 hits (2 doubles), 3 runs, 2 stolen bases as a leadoff hitter. His glove wasnt as good though, already -1.5 ZR and .901 EFF. Hopefully he can feel more comfortable in the field with more playing time.

The biggest problem right now is our bullpen. Beyond Kichida there is no one who can be rely on, Ine, Hall, Medina, Caballero have over 4 ERA, Flores 7.04,Barrios 8.56...
We'll try moving Cordova to the pen for now and Yoshimura, who is coming after rehab, will take his spot in the rotation. Hopefully this will help our shaky bullpen a little bit.

Starters are good or at least solid most of the times. Except for Cordova who was destroyed in 4-16 loss vs RGV, no one allowed more than 4 runs in their starts last week.
Simon Kuliszewski
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#21 Post by Simon »

It's been pretty long since last entry, i didnt feel there was much to write about. I mean there always is something, but it would be all whining about winning every 3rd game.
But lets finally write something after .625 july, there can be a long wait before another month like this happen again.

Actually lets start with some whining !+)
Calzones are 9th in scored runs and 6th in allowed, which gives us -7 Pyt Rec. Thats right, if we were +0, we would be 55-49, i believe thats 3.5 behind 1st place. And if we were a bit lucky to have for example +4 Pyt Rec, then... Yeah you get my point. Sucks to be unlucky.

Anyway lets move on to good stuff. Bunch of guys in the lineup finally performed at good level, lets list them so people wont forget about 2022 july.
Charlie Tucker: .410/.444/.494, only 3 strikeouts in 90 PA
Robert Johnson: .304/.360/.641, 9 homeruns, 24 RBI, the most in the team
Benton Hawkins: .318/.341/.541
Thom Wright: .294/.341/.506
Roberto Diaz: .293/.333/.500 - rookie SS; hes got also +3.7 ZR and 1.021 EFF
Ruben Memde: .205/.326/.487 - a lot better then season's overall .200/.268/.315

Pitching-wise nothing changed since the start of the season, starters' ERA is 5th with 3.82, bullpen's ERA 14th with 3.93. Closer and 2 setup guys are doing pretty good, but beyond them there is no light in the tunnel. Bob Harris is sitting on 9.39 ERA, but he hardly ever plays and he's there for his leadership and entertainment.

The most suprising performance though, and in a good way, is the one from Kyoichi Yoshimura. He came to SA as a left handed relief help. If he wasnt lefty i wouldnt even consider trading for him. But when Sakai started losing us too many games, Yoshimura was tried as a starter and came up big. 3.05 ERA, 7-3 W-L in 12 started games.

The other guy worth mentioning is Rafael Rodriguez. I'd really like to extend this guy, he's been really solid for us, but because of the league rules i'd have to give him at least 5M (he wants only 1.7M) extension and we cant afford that (despite being 30th in salary). it's pretty sad :cry:

Now big question arises: can we actually keep performing like this? I'd say we cant, this year at least. My guys have been pretty inconsistent throughout the year and just got hot lately.
I dont know how much of an impact was promoting Bob Harris and keeping him around despite bad performance, but since his arrival in the clubhouse team chemistry actually improved and nobody is complaining about too many slackers anymore. I think i can get away with one 9.0 reliever in my pen to keep the rest of guys happy.

The most disturbing thing is still expected budget for next year. Its 106M at the moment and it doesnt leave us with much room to manouver in the offseason. I guess we'll continue drafting and developing our guys and keep it slow and steady. Im ok with that, hardly any player in our roster is over 30 years old.

Go Calzones :bang:
Last edited by Simon on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Kuliszewski
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by roncollins »

Nice update. The Calzone's may rise again sooner than you think!
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Triple-A

#23 Post by Simon »

----------------After Winter Meetings update----------------------

This year we had 3 goals to achieve at the Winter Meetings: catcher, starting pitcher and center fielder.
Only last one was accomplished, but at least we didnt end up empty handed like some other teams !+)

Im still not entirely sure what to think about this deal, but the more i look at it, the more i actually like it.

So we lost a lot of power in form of OF/DH Benton Hawkins and arguably our 3rd best prospect 2b Errol Landry, who was just picked up in this year's draft. In return we received CF Yoshii Ohayashi, OF Alejandro Rivera and 4th round pick.

Ohayashi should be a huge upgrade over Dand offensively (not that its hard to accomplish) and has comparable glove. Ohayashi is after really bad year, but we believe he can bounce back and have around .800 OPS again.
Rivera didnt have great year as well ( :-[ ), but not long time ago he had good 2021 season, he is cheap, right handed (we are lacking on those) and cheap. Yes, i said cheap twice.

Ohayashi plus Rivera will provide enough offence to cover for Hawkins (almost for sure more than Hawkins+Dand), so we are getting stronger immediately. Especially vs lefties, because if you check Hawkins' stats, you will notice he cant hit lefties at all (last 3 years: .655, .590, .475 OPS). And he isnt alone in this department, Tucker and Hudson have similar stats, so adding two RH batters is pretty significant.

We also lost great prospect... In the long run it can hurt us, BUT... we already have young 2B Jack Speed (who didnt have great rookie year, but we are still believers). Sometimes you just have to make though choices, right? After all Landry is still only a prospect, you can never be 100% sure hes gonna develop properly !+)

So yeah, im decently happy with the Meetings this year and pretty excited for the Opening Day :bang:

We still are looking for a Catcher and Starting pitching, but at least one of the problems should be solved now ;-D
Simon Kuliszewski
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by roncollins »

As good as Hawkins is, I am very glad to get ohayashi out of the division... Fwiw.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Triple-A

#25 Post by Simon »

I'll try to write a 2023 preview later, but here are few words about ST so far.

Initially there were 24 batters and 20 pitchers invited for Spring Training 2023 and every one of them is considered useful (obviously some more than others). These include few of our best prospects, who will come back to their minor league teams after next sim. But group was reduced to 20 batters and 19 pitchers already: Ohayashi and Caballero on DL, Ruiz on DFA, Ono and Reid were sent back to AAA Joplin already, since they have no chance to win spot in 25man at the moment.

Yes, our new CF Ohayashi is already injured. :shake:
Actually i was ready to throw things when i saw news about Ohayashi being out for 12 months (sorry Ghosts). Thank god its not mine :-o
Still its a rough start to his career in San Antonio, 3 weeks injury. His ST numbers arent impressive either.

But there is few guys who were actually pretty good. I wont list everyone, just the most noticeable prospects.

SP Bob Burns - 2 starts, 1 run allowed in each start. Pretty impressive so far, seems like Winter Ball did a lot of good for him.
3B Adrian Fuentes - 6 hits in 10 AB, including 2 doubles and 5 RBI's. He may be ready for big leagues sooner than i thought.
another 3B Ed Brown - 1.055 OPS in 3 games started. there is more work ahead of him than Fuentes, but its nice to see good numbers in ST for him.
lefty Josh Thornton - didnt allow a run in 3.1 innings. Our hope for future closer or at least setup.

...and recently acquired guys.
INF Ono has been sent to AAA already.
1B Hagiwara - only .680 OPS and didnt show much power yet. Probably will start season in AAA as well.
CF Reynolds pretty bad numbers, but didnt play much.
C Manuel Sanchez - claimed on waivers from Havana. He's been pretty good so far and is a forerunner for one of 2 catching spots right now. He seems to catch barehanded, but he can hit and he is left handed.
OF Rivera - .900 ops with .500 slg, so pretty good.

Overall im happy how things are going at the moment. The only disturbing thing is Ohayashi's injury and his performance before that.
Simon Kuliszewski
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#26 Post by Simon »

Finally i have something good to write about my team, so lets get to it while it lasts.

First of all: 6-1 sim :bang:
Yup, it doesnt happen very often in San Antonio, but we did it. We are now 8-1 in last 9 games, winning last 3 series. That includes 4-0 sweep vs Daytona ;-D
But maybe more importantly we won series vs always strong Amsterdam Lions (2-1). Does it mean we are able to compete against best teams? Time will tell..

Not everything is looking great though. Offence is still pretty weak.
8th in OBP (barely over .300), 10th ins SLG, 9th in OPS, tied for 9th in runs scored, 14th(!) in homeruns. We are first in 1 cathegory though: strikeouts (107).
Whole lineup has been carried hard by 2 guys:
- Robert Johnson who is in his walk year, so its not a surprise he wants to show good performance before Free Agency. At the moment: .288/.362/.673.
- the second one is surprisingly a catcher, recently claimed from Havana Manuel Sanchez. In 13 games he's hitting .300/.375/.560. He's probably the slowest guy in the lineup, if not the whole league, yet he's leading a team in doubles with 7 (tied for 3rd in IL).

Actually i lied, there is a 3rd guy who isnt letting team down. Its no other than SS Roberto Diaz. His stick isnt so hot as the two guys above (still 3rd in a team), but .757 OPS (with .386 OBP) is very solid. But the most of his 0.9 WAR in 19 games comes from defence: +3.9ZR and 1.106 EFF. My pitchers gotta love having Diaz behind them.

...Speaking of pitchers, most of them have been really great. :clap:
3rd overall ERA, 5th SP ERA, 3rd bullpen ERA, 3rd runs allowed, 3rd opponents AVG, 4th bases on balls (and that with Cook walking 7 per 9 !)

Actually Cook after abyssmal performance in first two games, had good next two: 2 runs allowed in 12 innings pitched, striked out 17 and walked 7. He's still at 5.50 ERA, but it dropped from 13.50 in those 2 games ;)
Last year's free agent Gardner is having another good year, 3.58 ERA, 2 wins, 2 losses.
The only (!!) new guy in the rotation: Xavier Mota is having great start to SA career: 4 starts, 1.75 ERA, 3 wins, 1 loss.

Relievers: Kichida, Hall, Nakano are yet to allow a run, new lefty Ren allowed 1 run last sim and is sitting on 0.90 ERA. Even veteran Bob Harris pitched very strong 10.1 innings so far (2.61 ERA), and he continues to be a good example for younger guys.

The only bad guys in pitching staff are emergency starter SP Sakai (10 runs and 4 homeruns allowed in 2 starts) and reliever Ine (7.0 ERA).

Im not sure if we can keep this up, but seeing SA in 2nd place only 2 games behind surely feels good 8)
Last edited by Simon on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Kuliszewski
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#27 Post by Simon »

Oh and i forgot to mention my rising pitching star: Bob Burns. His progress is the first thing i check after downloading new file.
At the moment he is having 0.69 ERA, 7.3/0.3/0.3 in 4 starts in AAA Joplin.

Is he our new Randy?
Simon Kuliszewski
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#28 Post by Simon »

Last post was about Burns, and this one starts with him as well.
He already started 2 games in the big leagues and they were pretty decent outings: 4 earned runs in 10.1 innings (3.48 ERA). 10 innings in 2 starts isnt great, but for some reason in 1st game he was pulled after only 76 pitches (after 92 in 2nd). He still has a lot of room to grow and probably will be moved back to AAA when Cordova (only 24yo old) gets back after injury.

Next week his chance for debut in MLB will get another of our best prospects: 3B Adrian Fuentes. He didnt have the best year in AA, but after promotion to AAA, he suddenly went off: .342/.419/.421 and plus glove. I wanted to keep him down in the minors for longer, but seems the stronger opponents are, the better he plays. Hopefully trends continues.

After this promotion my infield looks like this (or gonna look soon): 1B Memde (26 yo - already veteran around here), 2B Jack Speed (24yo, coming back in 1-2 weeks after injury), 3B Fuentes (22 yo), SS Roberto Diaz (25 yo). Pretty exciting for the future :grin:
There is also 1B/3B Ed Brown (22yo) in AA i have high hopes for as well. Not the best of performance this year so far, but his development has been decent.

Outfield is a bit older, but no one is older than 28 in there as well. With Johnson inevitably leaving team to free agency, probably someone new will have to be found.

But the weakest positions still is catcher and looks like it will stay like this for a while. We picked up quite few guys in Free Agency and Waivers last year, but except for promising beginning from Manuel Sanchez, nothing good is happening in there. Sanchez has been so bad lately i had to demote him and promoted 25 yo Lee Reid. In 4 starts he had only .182 AVG and SLG, but at least he gets on base (.375 OBP).

Overall our offence sucks hard this year, we have to somehow survive this year and with more seasoned infield and pitching attack 1st place in 2024 :)
Simon Kuliszewski
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by roncollins »

Definitely interested in seeing how Fuentes works out. We got good value for him in the deal that sent him your way, but if he explodes, it'll be a big Calzone win.

Just as a refresher, Fuentes came your way in return for:

SP Tadamasa Hashimoto (pricey SP who has done exactly what we needed so far, but is getting ready to be paid a lot. having a great 2023, though)
2nd Round pick: Roberto Garcia - medium prospect, pitching well an A-ball, probably ready for promotion
3rd Round pick: Riley Bozarth - later sent to NJ as a small part of the probable over-payment for current Toyama OF Ivan Rosa
SP John Gillard: Turning into a very good prospect in A-ball, ready for promotion now
LF Jason Tully: Still a kid. Nice numbers, good ratings, may get out of SSA this year.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Triple-A

#30 Post by Simon »

Yeah i paid quite a lot for just a prospect, but should be good trade for me still.

I wasnt big fan of Hashimoto to be honest. I thought he was a bit lucky in San Antonio to get 6-1 record and under 4.0 ERA and i was predicting worse years than that in Toyama. Obviously i was wrong, he had very solid 2022 year and now hes even having career season. Still hes pretty expensive and we cant afford those kind of salaries yet. Ofcourse if he can keep his ERA at 2.50 level 13M isnt expensive at all.

I did like Gillard a lot though and seems his development is going the right way. Not an ace material, but very solid middle of the rotation guy most likely.
About Tully, my scout wasnt big of a fan, so i just let him go. Looks better now than before, but still im not sure if he can play at the highest level.

And then i also gave up 2nd and 3rd round picks. Obviously i didnt know what will you get for those, but i didnt like draft pool in the draft year before, so i didnt value those picks that high. Following years produced better prospects though (imo).

I dont like thinking about trades in cathegories of winning and losing though. Against other owner i mean. Good trade for me is when both owners are happy at the end :D
I liked Fuentes and was willing to give up quite a bit for him. After trade happens i dont think about what i gave up anymore. I think about what to do with what i gained :smile:
Simon Kuliszewski

Return to “San Antonio Calzones of Laredo”