Hall of Famer

N.O. pitching squad gets new (old) life

#1 Post by Reg »

New Orleans pitching squad gets new (old) life

Harold Lamoureux
The Cajun Chronicles
July 25th 2022
New Orleans, Louisiana

‘Setters fans are a loyal bunch. Despite one of the worst records in PEBA this season, attendance is up compared to last year. Most of the progress within the team have admittedly not been very Hollywood; as the highlight of this year has been drafting and rebuilding, but fans have proven once again that they are anything but “bandwagon” ... they know things will improve eventually, and are willing to wait it out.

The problem is, when will this “eventually” come?

The main issue this season has been the team’s pitching. Handcuffed by lucrative contracts, the team has been unable, until now, to re-sign or shop around for desperately-needed pitchers. With a season-long injury to rising star Jose Martinez, one of the few bright lights in the Trendsetters pitching squad, the team’s performance had taken a nose dive as of late as they were left with a gaping hole on their roster.

To alleviate this issue, and to bring in a few fresh faces to see if they can prove themselves, the team has announced the signing of three new free agent pitchers at a press conference today. Two of which will go straight to the main club, and the other will start off in AAA Fayetteville.

“We have been comitted to the long-term health of this club; this has been our primary focus” says GM Reg LeBlanc in today’s press conference, “...but we must also make an effort to immediately improve the caliber of play on the field, and we feel this will go a long way to achieve that, and could also bring in key players for the future.”

Emerson Rose
  First, the team has acquired 29-year-old left-hander Emerson Rose, who was released by Canton earlier in the month. He had a difficult season with his former team, but will try and hit the reset button with a change of scenery, and role. “The team told me I could try my hand as a starter here, and that sounds very exciting.” said Rose, with an obvious grin. “I have been in that role before, and I feel I can perform. I am excited to see how things will go.” Rose was a starter for 2 seasons for Canton, before being phased into a reliever role in recent seasons.

Manuel Ramirez
  The team also acquired Manuel “The Beast” Ramirez. The 38-year-old veteran last pitched in PEBA 5 years ago for Fargo and , before that, Connecticut, and has since bounced around the Japanese LRS and the Dominican Winter League, playing in the LRS All-Star Game twice. He will now be given a second chance in the majors by New Orleans. To say Ramirez was excited might be an understatement: “I am so thankful for the opportunity! A few years ago, my son was too young to see me pitch, but now he is 8 years old and gets a chance to watch me play in the majors again. How wonderful! I will be absorbing every moment! I can’t wait!”

Roger Pearson
  The team also signed 31-year-old Roger Pearson to a minor league contract. He got his PEBA experience with Charleston for parts of 4 seasons, posting a respectable 20-14 record and a 4.24 ERA. He then played one season of LRS baseball with Kawaguchi/RGV and then, like Ramirez, went to winter ball. Pearson will start his stint with AAA Fayetteville, with the possibility of a promotion if things go well.

These new acquisitions mean that some pitchers have been moved around to give them roster spots.

Other pitching changes
  The forever-jovial starter Jesse Strickland has been returned to AAA to regroup, after becoming a last-second shoe-in for the starting lineup to replace Jose Martinez in May. Despite a dreadful 7.30 ERA and a 1.64 WHIP during his stint, Strickland said he had the time of his life “It was such an amazing opportunity to pitch in the majors. Now I know where the level of competition is, and I will go back to try and improve myself. My goal is to return and improve on what I have done so far.”

Austin Williams has been struggling as a starter as well, and had been begging the team to be switched to a bullpen role all season, and with the addition of a few new faces, will finally be given the chance to take a breather with a reduced role.

Tomas Renteria also returned to AAA Fayetteville, while Adam Payne, Lee Edwards and Claudio Acevedo were released.

Time will tell if these changes will make a difference.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Cajun Chronicles - N.O. pitching squad gets new (old) li

#2 Post by roncollins »

It'll be fun to see how The Beast does. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions

Return to “New Orleans Trendsetters”