Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Calm amongst the Storm

#1 Post by Reg »

Gary Salisbury
Cajun Chronicles
May 9th, 2022
New Orleans, Louisiana

Sometimes when you deviate from the usual routine, you notice things you would otherwise miss.

A bad case of the flu has kept me from travelling to Kentucky for the Trendsetters’ (apparently heated) series with the Thoroughbreds. So, instead I sit here in the press box at New Frontier Park finishing some reports. The team graciously agreed to let me work in semi-quarantine for the day and evening to avoid getting anyone sick, with strict instructions to disinfect anything I even thought about touching.

It is now 1 o’clock in the morning, and the team will not arrive back from Kentucky until the morning.

But, in the offices downstairs, I can’t help but notice a loud whistling sound. What could that be?

Turns out, it is General Manager Reg LeBlanc, the only other person in the building, preparing some tea. No, not a cup of tea, but an entire full-sized kettle worth. At 1am. It has been that kind of spring for the young chief of the Trendsetters clan. The sound the kettle has been as loud as that office has gotten over the last few months, however. GM Reg is known as a quiet leader, and the season’s results has kicked his old, beaten up and questionable-looking tea kettle into overdrive, as he has been looking at different ways to turn this team around.

Things haven’t been so quiet in the clubhouse, as tempers begin to boil over from the slow start to the season. Sluggers aren’t slugging, pitchers crumble in game after game, and blowout losses have been all too common. Now a month into the season, team chemistry is predictably beginning to suffer. Something needs to be done, and soon.

So, before heading home I decided to stop by and see Reg and gently ask him a few questions about what is coming next, expecting him to be in a tense mood. Instead, he was as cool as a cucumber.

“A few elements obviously need immediate attention to get things under control, hence why I am here right now, but after that, everyone just needs to take a deep breath”, he said. “I’m going to have to give the team a pep talk before our next game. You know, just to ease things a bit.”

“Building a championship contender cannot be done overnight. A lot of teams try and do it time after time, but it never works that quickly or easily” he added. “There is a long-term plan, and it will involve some lean times like this, but everyone needs to look ahead. You learn much more about yourself and your team-mates when you lose then when you win. Again, this is a multi-year plan, and things will get more exciting for everyone as the journey progresses.”

We kept talking off the record for a few more minutes, but somehow I felt better about the team’s fortunes after our conversation. If players feel even remotely the same after his pep talk, things should calm down. I guess he just has that effect on people.

If you are out at sea and stuck in a storm, nothing makes you feel better than looking up at your Captain and realizing he’s got the whole thing under control.

And, like a storm, sunny days could be just around the corner.
Last edited by Reg on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Denny
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Cajun Chronicles - The Calm amongst the Chaos

#2 Post by Denny »

Gary is all-in backing this guy!
Denny Hills
O.C. (Original Codger)
roncollins