2 Trades to start Off-season

Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

2 Trades to start Off-season

#1 Post by Alleghenies »

While last year may have ended in disappointment, the WV management has gotten straight to business in announcing 2 trades right away. The first trade was agreed to a little while ago, but just had to wait until the season ended to make it official. That trade was with Yuma. WV sent over their 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft for last year's Rule 5 pick Adam Pemberton. While Pemberton racked up the loses in Yuma, he did look decent for 21 year in the league. The team has told him unless he blows away people in spring training, he will start the year in AAA with the aim at being in rotation in 2031 for the Alleghenies.
"I was very excited last year being drafted by Yuma because I knew I'd get a chance to start and play in PEBA. While it was a dream come true, it took me a couple months to learn the routine to be successful out on the mound. I won't lie losing takes a small toll on you, but it also teaches one to overcome adversity. When I heard about the deal to the Alleghenies, I was excited about the opportunity to go to a winning franchise, but at the same time I know I have my work cut-out going forward,"said Adam Pemberton.

In the second trade in the off-season, the team traded Gideon Byrd, who last season was used as a stopper/setup man and performed excellent. The only problem the team had with him was that he gave up a few too many hr's at times when he shouldn't have been. So instead of paying him in arbitration, the team sent him to Arlington with their 8th round pick for Duluth's 4th round pick and Bakersfield 5th round picks. While the team will miss Byrd's presence around, they have many relievers they feel ready to step up in his role for a fraction of the cost.
"Byrd was a great guy to have in the pen. When I put him out there, I always had faith we'd be ok. Did it work out that way all the time, no, but it did enough I always had faith. So then why did we trade him? Well after losing in the playoffs last year early, we fell short about 14 million dollars we expected to have. While we are not hurting for cap space, we have decided that we are going to try and cut payroll by 35-40 million this off-season. Currently we have cut even more than that, but the reality is we most likely will sign a player or 2." GM Abcarian said.

This off-season expects to be a busy one, as there are rumors that Wells, Wilton, Tamura, Herrera, Francis and Velázquez are all involved in some trade talks, some more advanced than others.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia

Return to “West Virginia Alleghenies”