All-Star
All-Star

The Daily Harpooner - Official Blog of the BBC of Hartford

#1 Post by Jason »

The Daily Harpooner
The official blog of the Baseball Club of Hartford, established 2021
Contributing Authors
James Chaseman

Several contributing authors will cover timely news about the Hartford Harpoon, the one of the Planetary Extreme Baseball Association's latest franchises. Relocating from Omaha in 2021, owner Grey Davidson III and General Manager Jason Warnke aim their Harpoons, working to bring this franchise back to relevance. Subscribe to The Daily Harpooner, and follow our team from Spring Training to the Rodriguez Cup and beyond.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

Re: The Daily Harpooner - Official Blog of the BBC of Hartfo

#2 Post by Jason »

Hartford GM Cleaning Up Previous Mess
By: James Chaseman

Harpoon axe nearly $70 million in future salary obligations

March 29, 2021: West Hartford, CT -- General Manager Jason Warnke has been busy this winter taking back the reigns of a team that both he and owner Grey Davidson III had on auto-pilot over the last several seasons. Sparked by a relocation to Hartford and the Seaboard Division of the Imperial League, Warnke made it clear that he is no longer planning on sitting idle watching this team continue to play mediocre baseball. "Admittedly, I have been focused on other businesses of mine," commented the usually hands-on GM. "Unfortunately, we left the team in incapable hands and have made a few missteps. I vow to not let this happen again."

These "missteps" Warnke was referring to were capped last season with a draft debacle that led to the suicide of former Director of Draft Operations, Steven Fields. "We put a lot of faith in some young, intelligent executives over the last 24-36 months. While the plan to build through the draft and to make a youth movement started off on the right foot, it quickly spiraled out of control last year. I realize now that it is crucial that I need to be more hands on."

Along with this declaration has come action, and it has been swift. In the last few weeks, GM Warnke has traded away nearly $70 million in future potential salary obligations and just over $47 million this season. Overall, the salary exposure for the upcoming 2021 campaign has been slashed by over 47%, sitting currently at $42.75 million, the cheapest payroll in all of professional baseball. The only other team to rival this shoestring budget are the newly absorbed Niama-Shi Ghosts ($44.1 million), formerly from of the League of the Rising Sun. This will be their first season in the PEBA, and with only 10 players under contract, it is unlikely that they will enter the 2021 season under $50 million. The only other franchise with a payroll under $50 million would be the Tempe Knights, who currently sit with $49.9 million on their books.

How was this salary slashing accomplished? One word: Trades.

On March 1st, catcher Wayne Williams, who was scheduled to earn $9 million this season with a team ioption for 2022 was shipped to the Neo-Tokyo Akira along with a second and third round draft pick in exchange for 31 year old utility infielder Tasuku Nishikawa, 24 year old catcher, Kiyohiro Kojima, a later second round pick, $3 million. Both Nishikawa and Kojima will likely make the Harpoon's Opening Day roster. Kojima has been tearing up the ball field this spring, batting .415 while smacking 4 doubles and 3 home runs in 67 plate appearances. His play has been surprising. While this will clearly not keep up for an entire season, shedding Williams' contract was well worth sliding back in the second round of the draft and giving up a third round draft pick.

Later that day, Hartford also announced that they would be sending Edgar 'Hammerhead' Valentin to the Rio Grande Ocelots in exchange for 23 y/o prospect outfielder Shojiro Kotara. Valentin, who is still only 32 years old, has had issues staying healthy the last several seasons. While his production while on the field is still very good, Hartford upper management felt it was in the best interest of the club to trade away hi $8.87 million contract. Health was a risk the team simply did not want to take. Kotara joins Hartford having never played above AA ball. A long shot at best, there are some scouts inside the organization that think Shojiro has significant upside. Kotara's ability to play all three outfield positions, his untapped potential to get on base and hit for moderate power, coupled with his base running instincts could mean that the young Japanese outfielder might one day get a shot in the pro's.

Then came the big budget splash and the seemingly impossible. Pundits around the league thought that the $25 million that former superstar pitcher Daryl 'Quagmire' Lewis was scheduled to make over the next two seasons (2021/2022) would be immovable. Just today, the Harpoon proved the so-called experts wrong, as they returned to the Ocelot well, sending the 32-year old veteran starter to Rio Grande Valley in exchange for three players-to-be-named later. The General Manager RGV, Matthew Higgins, was cited as saying "Yes, this is an expensive gamble, but one we are willing to take -- particularly if Quagmire can return to even close to his pre-2020 form." While the team essentially gave away Lewis, they were in no position to refuse $25 million in salary relief on a player who may or may not return from injury the same player as before. This was a wise move for the new Hartford franchise.

Rumors persist and have been confirmed by two sources, that Jesse Powell, Tim Dundee, and Alejandro Barrios will all be shipped out of town in exchange for a third round pick. It is unclear at this time which team these three will be headed to. However, their departure will clear yet another $9 million plus off the books. In total, over $47 million in 2021 salary has been shed by the once financially strapped organization -- and all done in less than a month. Perhaps this is proof that GM Warnke is serious about taking over the reigns once again, and getting baseball in Hartford started off on a positive foot.

It is unclear what the franchise will do with all this newly found budget space. It appears as though Warnke is in negotiations with several well respected veteran fan favorites for short term, low cost deals. This would make sense, given the initial goal in Hartford will be to attract a new fan base. Perhaps 2021 is not the year where the fans will be able to call the Harpoon "their own," but at least they might see a few recognizable, former all-stars in the dugout. Hopefully this will garner enough goodwill over the season to keep people excited for the future, as the Hartford Harpoon's farm system continues to develop and a massive amount of financial flexibility opens up after this season to target key free agents. With literally less than $15 million on the books in scheduled contracts for 2022, the Harpoon can write their own destiny provided they continue the craftiness that was once again displayed this month.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#3 Post by Jason »

Powell Declines Trade Under 10/5 Exception

April 4, 2021: Hartford, CT -- Former All-Star closer Jesse Powell vetoed a trade under the 10/5 exemption that would have sent him packing to the San Antonio Calzones de Laredo. Powell, who has more than ten years of major league service time, the last ten of which with the Cyclones, decided he would prefer to be cut from the Hartford Harpoon than be shipped out to Texas. Once one of the most feared closers in all of professional baseball, Powell has amassed a career 75-65 record, 250 saves and a 3.52 ERA. His 250 saves has him 8th on the all-time leader board for relievers.

"We respect his decision as he has earned this right," commented Jason Warnke the team's General Manager. "However, I can not say we understand it. We made it perfectly clear that he would not be a part of our plans in 2021. We have appreciated what he brought to the table over the last nine seasons. It is now time to part ways. Essentially, he made the decision that he does not want to play professional baseball anymore. While he has that right to decline a transaction, I can not say I understand the thought process behind it."

In just hours after Powell vetoed the trade, the Harpoon announced that they would be waiving him. The franchise decided to eat the two years remaining on Powell's contract in order to make room on the roster for starting pitcher Chet King, whom Hartford recently signed to a one year contract worth $2.5 million. It is rumored that the Calzones and Harpoon have negotiated a new deal that would still provide financial relief for the salary that the Harpoon just cut from their books.

Chet King joined the team today, and is scheduled to pitch in the second game of the 2021 season against the Charleston Statesmen.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#4 Post by Jason »

Hartford Part Ways With Lorenzo Ramirez

March 30, 2021: Hartford, CT -- The Hartford Harpoon announced that they have fired head scouting director, Lorenzo Ramirez. Ramirez, who refused to sign an extension, was scheduled to make just under $800,000 for the 2021 campaign. The Harpoon opted to bite the bullet and let the veteran scout go, eating his entire salary for the year in the process.

The team then signed 58 year old Martin Diharce to a five year contract worth $2.375 million. The move was primarily made as a part of the organization's continued goal to improve their finances. At $475,000 per season, this contract is structured to less than half of what it might have cost to retain Ramirez who showed little sign that he was willing to renegotiate his terms with the team. Diharce, who was the former head scout with the division rival New Jersey Hitmen from 2016-2020, is widely regarded as one of the best major/minor league scouts in the business. He also excels in his overseas and college evaluations. When asked to comment, Martin issued the following statement:

"I am ecstatic to be working with the newly formed Hartford Harpoon. What is most exciting is the fact that the organization has essentially started from scratch. We have a lot of budget room both this year and beyond. Although the challenge is great, I am confident that we will be able to find and add key talent -- including hidden gems -- to this Hartford roster in short order. I look forward to this long term relationship with GM Warnke and Mr. Davidson, the team's owner."

Jason Warnke, the team's general manager, also commented:

"It is an exciting time. New city. New blood. As you have seen, we have not been afraid to restructure the payroll or the staff. In fact, we will continue to do so to make our salary obligations much more manageable over the medium and long term. While we were happy with what Lorenzo brought to the table for years, he was simply asking for too much money. We feel that we have found an equal talent in Mr. Diharce, and look forward to him being a part of our team for a very long time."

When asked if this change in direction had anything to do with the recent suicide of Steven Fields, former Director of Draft Operations, Warnke declined to comment.
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#5 Post by Jason »

Late Christmas Present: Javier Saez Signs with Harpoon

12/28/2021: Hartford, CT -- General Manager Jason Warnke made the announcement that the Hartford Harpoon have agreed to terms with former New Jersey Hitmen starting pitcher Javier Saez in a deal worth reportedly $24 million over three years. The 32 year old Saez posted a less-than-stellar 15-14 record for the Hitmen in 2021. With an ERA of 5.21 Javier gave up a career worst 39 homeruns and was unlikely to be re-signed by New Jersey.

The Harpoon (and former Cyclones) have struggled to ever really find an ace. It seems as though the organization has only been able to staple together a rotation full of number 3 and number 4 starters. Perhaps this is the reason why Hartford and Omaha have struggled so mightily over the last several self described "rebuilding" years. While Javier Saez is far from an ace these days, he is certainly the best starting pitcher in the Harpoon rotation so far. Should Saez return to his pre-2021 form, his career 3.96 ERA will be a welcomed addition to a soft rotation.

When asked to comment, Saez made the following remarks:

"Lissen main. I dun't care zabout what Hotfad has done in past. All I care aabout is dat dey put up da money I axed for. Shoo' main -- you think I am gunna be at dis ting forevah? I gots to get mine, main."

"We are happy to bring in starter the caliber of Javier," commented Warnke. "As long as he can be that same workhorse he has shown to be giving us 30+ starts a season we will be happy. Our rotation will look much different in 2022 than it did in 2021."

Perhaps that last comment hint that the organization will be calling up 25 year old Eric Castle and 23 year old Yen-Zhen "Stinky" Kan for the 2022 season, both of whom are currently down working on their fitness, defense, and stamina down at Winter Ball. If the season were to start today, here is our projected Harpoon rotation:

1.) Javer Saez - new addition, free agency
2.) Ryan Sims - 25 year old phenom still yet to break through and returning from an injury shortened 2021
3.) Ray Graham - returning starter, 200+ IP and 32 GS last season
4.) Eric Castle - new addition, prospect
5.) Stinky Kan - new addition, prospect

Word on the street is that the Harpoon are still in the market for an absolute ace. With slim pickings available free agency this may mean that Hartford may have to pull the trigger on a trade to make this happen. The good news is that that team still has nearly $30 million that they can deploy in free agency to fill some holes in the offense, defense, and pitching staff. Here comes 2022!
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by roncollins »

Interesting collection. Some folks would like that they all keep the ball on the ground pretty well.

Sáenz is pretty clearly what the OOTP "greed" category was built for. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
All-Star

#7 Post by Jason »

Cliff Hangers wrote:Saenz is pretty clearly what the OOTP "greed" category was built for. :)
Maybe? I think any time you can get a potential 2-starter for less than $10 mil per you might be getting a bargain. Of course this is assuming he can return to his form. Last year was his worst year historically. Hopefully it is not a sign that his career curve is accelerating.
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by roncollins »

Harpoon wrote:
Cliff Hangers wrote:Saenz is pretty clearly what the OOTP "greed" category was built for. :)
Maybe? ...
Anyone who says:

"All I care about is dat dey put up da money I axed for. Shoo' main -- you think I am gunna be at dis ting forevah? I gots to get mine, main."

fits the bill. :)
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Borealis »

Cliff Hangers wrote:
Harpoon wrote:
Maybe? ...
Anyone who says:

"All I care about is dat dey put up da money I axed for. Shoo' main -- you think I am gunna be at dis ting forevah? I gots to get mine, main."

fits the bill. :)
He certainly took more money to play in Hartford than for a title winner/contender...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Simon
Triple-A
Triple-A

#10 Post by Simon »

Titles wont pay his bills :shake:
Simon Kuliszewski
Proud General Manager of San Antonio Calzones de Laredo
Since mid 2020 (268-293 .477)
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#11 Post by Jason »

Hehe it's sad we are calling him our "ace."
Jason Warnke
Former Omaha Cyclones GM
Hartford Harpoon Founder

Forum: 200+
June 8, 2011-2020: 847-800 (Omaha Cyclones)
2021-June 5, 2023: 179-202 (Hartford Harpoon)
Warnke ERA: 1026-1002 (.506)
2015 SL Champions (OMA)
Jason
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Jason »

Kato Off to Hot AA Start

April 18, 2022: Laval, QUE -- Masakado Kato, the 5th pick in the 2021 Amateur Draft by the Hartford Harpoon is off to a tear in his first full professional season with the AA Laval Islanders. Through 13 games, the left fielder has been smoking the ball, knocking 4 doubles, 3 triples, and a home run. He has a batting split of .339/387/.571 and is showing everyone in the Harpoon organization why they were so high on the 23 year old Japanese left fielder.

"He is a student on the game," stated Jason Warnke, the parent club GM. "When everyone else is messing around in the club house, this kid is watching tape. In the dugout, he will watch how the opposing pitchers approach each hitter. If he strikes out, he will ask for the tape post game and review what he could have done differently. To be honest, we have not seen a kid as hungry to improve in a long time."

While the season is still early, it is clear that Kado Kato is on pace to have a stellar season. Should we see some continued improvement, we may see Kato up in Hartford as early as the roster expansion in September of 2023. While that may seem like a long way away to most, Hartford has been patient building their farm system to the top of professional baseball. This season, Wunderkind hopeful Luis Cedeno embarks on a rookie season along with pitchers Eric Castle and Yin-Zhen Kan. Even outfielder Carlos Ryan has been given a shot with the Harpoon as two starting outfielders have gone down to significant injuries (Contreras and Ruiz). It's clear that the organization is ready to make a push to the next level, and the team's youth is an important part of that progress. Before long we may see Kado Kato on board as well.
Wind Dancers
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

The Revival of the Daily Harpooner - A Hartford Harpoon Blog

#13 Post by Wind Dancers »

The Daily Harpooner
The official blog of the Baseball Club of Hartford, established 2021

Head Writer
Jace Ramsey

Hello Hartford. Following the appointment of Dylan Krupilis as GM of the Hartford Harpoon, I am proud to announce the revival of the Daily Harpooner Blog! Connecting this community with this ball team will be a priority moving forward and I look forward to a bright future ahead of us. I am excited to be able to bring you updates from "behind the curtain" and help build a Harpoon family right here in Hartford. Keep an eye out for blog updates covering everything under the sun that doesn't make it to the national news, so expect our blog posts to be rolled out at some point in the early off-season.

It's great to be here Hartford! Now lets get to work. Go Harpoons!
Dylan Krupilis
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
Web Admin/Tech Guru

1x PEBA Champion (2038)
3x Sovereign League Champion (2034, 2037, 2038)
1x GM of the Year (2034)
Reg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Reg »

:grin:

Nice!
Reg LeBlanc
General Manager, New Orleans Trendsetters
(2021 - 2037)
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#15 Post by Nigel »

;-D :clap:
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com

Return to “Hartford Harpoon”