Shoot from the Hartford, A Hartford Harpoon Blog

Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

Shoot from the Hartford, A Hartford Harpoon Blog

#1 Post by Fishermen »

#1. April 2nd, 2028

It’s hard rocking up at a new club the day before a new season starts, but that’s the life of a journeyman GM. It’s 2028 and a sixth PEBA franchise in the form of the Hartford Harpoon, funnily enough, from Hartford. The first thing my assistant motioned to as he showed me to my new office was a stack of files containing the details and reports of the franchise’s players currently on the 40-man roster. “The league Commissioner’s been on the phone twice today” he said without the hint of an apology “They need the final 25-man roster for 2028 submitted by tonight”.

Well, there goes my day I thought, I’ve had a few years out of the league I first managed in back in 2016, fresh out of the now-defunct LRS. I’m a bit out of touch with who’s leading the way, what the salaries are now and well, everything. Sitting at my desk I studied the form, we still had 39 players up with the PEBA team so 13 would have to be returned to the minors. Looking at the franchise depth charts we did have 13 places available in Triple-A Lincoln but I decided you gotta do things properly and might as well sort them and our Double-A roster at Lavel at the same time today. Both of them currently fell within the roster limits but as their seasons also started tomorrow as well it was prudent to start there as you meant to go on.

Hartford had entered the PEBA in 2021 when the underperforming Omaha Cyclones had relocated there. The Cyclones had only had seven winning seasons in their franchise history and just one post-season trip although to be fair they did go all the way then to the Planetary Extreme Championship where they lost four games to one against the Gloucester Fishermen. They started off with a losing season in Hartford and since then have yo-yoed between wining seasons and losing seasons. It is to their credit though that every winning season has resulted in a post-season appearance. Over in the IL now there was to be no repeat of the PEC finals, 2023 & 2027 saw defeats in the Divisional series while in 2025 they got as far as the League series before bowing out to Florida. Last year they topped the Seaboard Division with their first ever 100 win season (101-61). So given that history Hartford are likely to fall from that lofty total to a losing record this year.

With all that background I had to make my choices in a hurry and see if I could break the Harpoon’s record of boom & bust. Looking at Hartford’s 2027 record the biggest holes were obviously the losses of 35-yr-old pitcher Ray Graham whose 35 starts brought a record of 18-11, 36-yr-old closer Marcos Gonzalez who had a record of 6-0 with 41 saves, 38-yr-old Juan Garcia who went 6-1 and 31-yr-old Truman Bruke who is still the best part of a month away from returning from Radial nerve decompression surgery undergone last September. In their place the franchise signed 38-yr-old Eduardo Romano on a three-year $50.1 million deal, he posted a 14-12, 2.43 ERA record last season with Amsterdam where he also went to the All-Star game, as well as 31-yr-old Maxime Labrie who went 9-6 with a 4.53 ERA with Neo-Tokyo in 2027. Whether that is enough it remains to be seen, but money is tight and replacements of PEBA level quality are few and far between within the farm system.

Within my limited time for decisions I assigned 25-yr-old All-Star Matt Brown the Closers role, he went 5-3 with 12 saves and a 1.87 ERA last year but I think he would be best suited to a stopper role and could perhaps rack up some two-innings saves. I was quite amazed that the team managed to win 101 games with the defensive alignment employed in 2027. Luis Cedeno somehow spent all year at shortstop despite posting a -15.6 ZR, the third base platoon between Scott Wilson and Mike Smock didn’t exactly cover themselves with glory either at the hot corner. For Starters in 2028 Cedeno will slide round to the hot corner, ‘All Leather’ second baseman Mark Edwards will start at shortstop while young Jack Allen who played six different positions in 2027 will start 2028 as the full-time second baseman. Walter Daniel, Carlos Ryan and Walter Winston will patrol the outfield in the opening games.

I quickly scrawl all that down for my assistant to deal with and hand that to him on the way out as well as the instructions for the travel orders for those heading for the farm as well as instructions on promotions/demotions to be faxed to the Lincoln & Laval managers. Strolling out the door I breathed a sigh of relief – back in the PEBA once more.
Last edited by Fishermen on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Shoot from the Hartford, A Hartford Harpoon Blog

#2 Post by Borealis »

Great overview Nigel!!

I remember that Omaha SL Title, Aurora won 116 games, it was 'Sawmill's first season on the Front Range - and we tanked in the first round of the playoffs to Omaha - of all our post-season loses, it was the most frustrating - more so than our first 2011 season, losing to the F-heads, up 3-2... grrrrr... The loss to Omaha cost manager Roberto Rosado his job...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#3 Post by Fishermen »

Thanks Mike :smile:

I thought that as Hartford haven't been exactly rich with team news over their short history I would at least set down a brief history, as much for my benefit as anyone else's, to set the scene for the new blog.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

I like the revisiting history model - I use it a lot - both for my own personal amusement as well as keeping the league's past alive!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#5 Post by Vic »

Well done - I enjoyed peeking over your shoulder as you sorted through everything you needed to do, including getting your minors set up. And, yeah, it’s cool to learn a little about the franchise history. I look forward to following along as the season progresses!
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#6 Post by Fishermen »

Thanks Vic, apart from being a UK team I always look at the Scottish Claymores as I helped with their logo design. Nice to see them getting an enthusiastic GM at last
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#7 Post by Sandgnats »

Your biggest fan is SS Juan Hernández who you made the highest paid player in PEBA back in 2024 with Duluth, who then you traded back to yourself (via Mark) when you were with Kalamazoo. }:-)
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Lions »

Sandgnats wrote:Your biggest fan is SS Juan Hernández who you made the highest paid player in PEBA back in 2024 with Duluth, who then you traded back to yourself (via Mark) when you were with Kalamazoo. }:-)
:shake:
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#9 Post by Fishermen »

I always regretted trading him to Crystal Lake when I was with London for what turned out to be Manny Velez and a disappointing Robby Holmes who never really recovered from Tommy John surgery. I do try to look after my favorites though :wink:
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Borealis »

Harpoon wrote: I do try to look after my favorites though :wink:
Yup... Always good to see numbers like .278 (Ferringo) and 8.71 (Snow - though with no ST)...
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#11 Post by Fishermen »

#2. April 10th, 2028

I must say I’m slightly pleased with the first week of my tenure in Hartford. In a bit of haste I shuffled the pack and filed my 25-man roster without any attention to how everyone had performed in Spring Training, indeed I still haven’t looked at any of the performances or results. It was a case of looking at where players fitted based on their previous stats and to a small extent the coach’s rating of them. And it seems to have worked out, although much to my surprise we are ranked 11th in the IL in defensive efficiency? Something everyone will be working hard on the practice sessions, we have only made two errors so far in the seven games, both by Luis Cedeño as he adjusts to his new role at the hot corner.

The results were pleasing, we won on Opening Day to inspire the fans and went on to play .500 ball the rest of the week, finishing up at 4-3. It could have been so much better as well, against West Virginia, down 5-1, we scored three in the eighth to make it a one run game and in the bottom of the ninth with two out and Mark Edwards on third and Cedeno on second, poor Carlos Ryan just missed a game-winning homer as it was grabbed on the centre field warning track to end the game. Just a few games later against Havana we were 9-7 down going into the bottom of the ninth, two walks and a single saw Hartford load the bases with only one out. Another walk after Bob Jackson had struck out made it a one run game but unfortunately young Jack Allen struck out to end the game with the bases still loaded. If only we could have won those two games a 6-1 start would have been a fantastic start.

The downside to the whole week is our pitchers allowed 75 hits and surrendered 12 homers in these opening seven games. That level of offense against us can’t continue if we aim to produce a winning season. Still our attack started well and despite those figures we outscored West Virginia & Havana 36-34. A lot of that was due to the sensational start by Cedeno, in this first week he hit .379/.424/.931 with five homers & 15 RBI as well as successfully swiping the base on all four attempts. Allen enjoyed being the lead-off man, getting on-base at a .412 clip composed of 12 singles, one double and a walk. He stole three bases to better his position on the bases and came round to score four times. The prize for futility goes to right fielder Walter Winston who stuck out 14 times in his 29 AB’s, just beating out his fellow corner outfielder Walter Daniel who racked up 13 K’s from 28 AB’s. On the other hand the majority of the team were disciplined at the plate drawing 24 walks, joint best in the IL.

Player of the Week was Luis Cedeno who hit five homers, drove in 15 runs and stole four bases

Alfredo Zambrano’s Opening Day win was indeed the only win gained by the rotation, lefty Takejiro Daikawa & Eduardo Romano were both tagged with losses. Romano only lasted one batter in the final game of the week, he conceded a single and then was taken out with back spasms which thankfully shouldn’t keep him out of his next scheduled start and five of the seven bullpen arms were able to see Hartford home against Havana to a 7-5 win. The back end of the bullpen duo of Matt Brown & He Ling both picked up a win during the week and struck out 14 batters between them while allowing only eight hits and two walks.
Last edited by Fishermen on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Vic
Triple-A
Triple-A

#12 Post by Vic »

Another entertaining entry! Impressive that Cedeño could produce at that offensive level while struggling to learn a new position. The pitching sounds worrisome. Will be interested to see how that shakes out.
Vic Caleca
Scottish Claymores
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#13 Post by Fishermen »

#3. April 17th, 2028

I must say, first of all, that I must thank the Commish for his fast delivery of a new set of matchday uniforms for the Harpoon. They are now proudly wearing their uniforms during games but some of the more stubborn ones just wear their hats around the Stadium and Luis Cedeno flatly refuses to wear anything else that his old Double-A Laval uniform in any public outing

After finishing last week on a high, completing a series win over Havana, we headed for a nine-game road trip to Havana, San Jose and Florida in good spirits. We went 3-0 down to Havana in the bottom of the first in the week’s opening game but slowly fought back to 2-3 before back-to-back homers from backup 3B Gordon Fuller & catcher Jon Woods gave us a 4-3 lead at the seventh innings stretch. He Ling was within an out of completing his third clean innings in relief of disappointing lefty Takejiro Daikawa when the Leones finally got to him, Plamodon launching a 3-run bomb to give them the lead back. Our only reply was a run in the top of the ninth to close it to a one-run loss. We were 3-0 up ourselves after two innings in the second game before being pegged back to 3-2 in the third. That looked to be our revenge but runs in the bottom of the ninth and 11th handed us another one-run loss. At least though we took the final game of the series, 2-1 up after one, Masaharu Konishi held it to that into the seventh before Wayne Pryor took over. Top of the eighth Woods drove in Fuller to give us the insurance run before Walter Winston sealed it with a 2-run shot. We shaped up in the Caribbean, with two routine ‘never behind’ wins to seal the series but had our heads in the clouds as we were never in the final game.

So 7-6 after two weeks, the only team in the IL Seaboard division with a winning record. I’m pleased as in all four of our one-run losses we have had real cases to argue that we could have won them, and we’re 1-1 in extra-innings games. The bats are showing some pop with 15 homers in 13 games, fifth best in the IL, while the hitters are showing patience drawing 38 walks, the third best in the IL. Finally the Bullpen has played it’s part in keeping us deep into games with a second best IL ERA of 3.20. Now we finish off the road trip with three in Florida followed by a trip home to face three-game sets against London and San Antonio. I’ll have a decision to make by then, 26-yr-old second baseman Mike Smock has been activated from the DL and sent to Lincoln for a rehab stint. The question is where does he fit now? Jack Allen has made the second base role his own so far, young Tommy McKnight is making his way in the game and won’t be too keen to give up the base in Lincoln. Smock’s best hope seems to be a utility role on the bench at Hartford. 2027 Rule 5 pick Min-u Yi hasn’t really performed when called to replace Allen or Edwards off the bench, he might well be looking over his shoulder when Smock’s rebab finishes. To be honest there are a few players on the 25-man roster that still need to step their game up especially first baseman Bob Jackson, hitting .150/.190/.225 with one homer & two RBI is not where we want him to be. He might be saved by the fact that no-one is stepping up in the franchise to challenge him but that is not a reason to sit on your bat, replacements can easily be found.

Jon Woods hit his first 2028 homer this week and was one of four players to drive in three runs during the week

Generally it was a good week for the rotation, Alfredo Zambrano & Eduardo Romano sailed through their starts, eating 13 innings between them while only allowing six hits and one run, Masaharu Konishi also surrendered just one run as he too picked up a win while Maxime Labrie was unfortunate going eight innings before the bullpen blew it for him in extras. The only disappointment was Daikawa who gave up 12 hits and seven runs in his two starts in the week while walking seven but only striking out three. He failed to complete five innings in either start and the team lost both, although he was only tagged for one loss. Matt Brown picked up his first save of 2028 despite not allowing a run in seven outings, he just hasn’t been pitching at the right times. He has however collected a win and three holds as well as that save. The team has won six of those seven appearances. Wayne Pryor came out of the pen twice, managed to pitch five and two-thirds innings and gave up nothing, collecting a hold and a single strikeout.
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Borealis »

I’m glad most have been resolved - why it’s such an issue for the game engine to get the images correct is beyond me...
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#15 Post by Fishermen »

The current state of Waikiki, none of whom are brave enough to wear the Hawaïen shirt provided for them in their locker :-? :angry-cussingblack:
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen

Return to “Hartford Harpoon”