Mid-Season Review: Smooth Sailing

Bureaucrats
Double-A
Double-A

Mid-Season Review: Smooth Sailing

#1 Post by Bureaucrats »

43-44. To many that's a worrying sign. To me, that's progress. When I picked up this team a month ago (to the day, in fact) they were sitting at a paltry 3rd place and a dismal outlook for the future. Sitting at 12-19 (I think) and several games behind 2nd place and even more outside of a Wildcard slot, I had to do something. I resolved to myself that I'd be damned before I miss the playoffs in the first season (or 2) of my tenure. Plans were made to begin a rebuild if worse came to worse. I projected that we would finish 3rd with a 74-88, and miss the Wildcard entirely.

Alas, the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.
firefox_GarNT3plPG (2).png
[Figure 1. Panic in a visual form]

Suddenly, we hit a 5-game skid, nearly right out the gate. Even though I had a plan to rebuild, I still wanted to avoid it as best I possibly can. Trades were made, and a short fire sale began. I managed to snag MLB-capable pitching and hitters to help my sinking bullpen. In a landmark trade between myself and the Sandgnats, I sent 3 of my own players for 15 MLB-ready players and prospects. It was meant to be the beginning phases of a rebuild, and I knew that the production I gave up for what I got would definitely leave me hurting.

Except, an odd thing happened.

We began to win.
Progess.png
[Big one: My 2028 tenure. Inlet: Before my tenure]

My panicky knee-jerk reaction that I was sure that it was going to bite me in the ass later actually began to pay off. My rotation began to throw pure fire. My offense contributed, and my defensive efficiency remains the best in the Imperial League. May gave way to June, and my first full month as the GM began. Boy howdy it was a good month. As you can tell from that graph, we even sat above .500 at 2 points. June placed us in 2nd place, and at one point we had a lock on the Wildcard. It's since been lost, but it's still enough to instill confidence in me that perhaps my team can have a better second half.

Speaking of June, let's look at just how good the team was in a couple categories.
firefox_4l1OIZeAc6 (2).png
A team triple slash line of .253/.315/.353 is extremely satisfying to me. It shows there still is a fight among my players and they have a drive to win. Top it off with a .669 (hehe) OPS, that is definitely a contender.

I would be remiss to not mention my pitching staff. They were phenomenal. A June ERA of 3.09 with a WHIP of 1.11 makes for a challenging staff that could definitely carry an offense to the postseason.

The future's looking bright, and I hope y'all have shades. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin Barker
GM Arlington Bureaucrats
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Mid-Season Review: Smooth Sailing

#2 Post by Borealis »

It's amazing what a rudder can do for a proud franchise!!

The IL has become very interesting for sure!!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

#3 Post by Sandgnats »

I believe we transferred some wins to you as the Gnats have been in a tailspin ever since that trade. :shock:
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Bureaucrats
Double-A
Double-A

#4 Post by Bureaucrats »

Sandgnats wrote:I believe we transferred some wins to you as the Gnats have been in a tailspin ever since that trade. :shock:
oof, the Babe Ruth/"No-no Nanette" special
Justin Barker
GM Arlington Bureaucrats
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Lions »

I'm really enjoying these looks at your team and the playoff goal is fun to see. Sometimes shaking things up a bit gets everyone grooving, and that seems to have happened. You may need a little luck along the way to recover from the slower start, but you should be in the mix!
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Fishermen
Double-A
Double-A

#6 Post by Fishermen »

And Hartford gave you some more wins after we helpfully injured most of our rotation :wink:
Andy (Sim, Chaan-Shu)
GM Gloucester Fishermen

Return to “Arlington Bureaucrats”