Waiting time

How long after retirement will players be eligible ?

One Year?
41%
Two Years?
19%
Three Years?
11%
Four Years?
4%
Five Years?
26%
Other (please explain in a comment)
No votes

Total votes: 27

klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Waiting time

#16 Post by klewis »

I voted 2 years as a compromise between 5 years and 1 year. 2 years is roughly equivalent to one real year. I think that should be fine.

Actually, what I would be more concerned about is how often we cast ballots for the Hall of Fame. Naturally, I think the inclination is to elect a new Hall of Fame class every season. But I actually think it would be not a bad thing if we do a Hall of Fame election every 2 seasons.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#17 Post by Evas »

I think I'd prefer voting every season if player eligibility is after 2 seasons to make sure we don't have cases where players have to wait 3 seasons. But that isn't a strong preference.

On the topic of voting, I think it might be good to open things up to distinguished alumni. There have been many good GM's who have come and gone here. It could be fun to open voting back up to select former GM's. Sort of like the baseball writers association.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#18 Post by Borealis »

Evas wrote:I think I'd prefer voting every season if player eligibility is after 2 seasons to make sure we don't have cases where players have to wait 3 seasons. But that isn't a strong preference.

On the topic of voting, I think it might be good to open things up to distinguished alumni. There have been many good GM's who have come and gone here. It could be fun to open voting back up to select former GM's. Sort of like the baseball writers association.
I like that idea! I assumed JR would have a hand, but guys like Tyler would definitely rate a vote!
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
roncollins
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by roncollins »

Just try to keep things as simple as possible in order to keep the administrative tasks down. Some general thoughts on design criteria as done through the lense of "make it easy."

1. Vote every year (easier to standardize if it's every year)
2. All past owners are eligible to vote (don't know if this is easy or not)
3. Last year's retirees are eligible (easiest to track after year 1)
4. Set a fairly high bar for staying on the ballot (less players to track)
5. Limit stays on the ballot to 2 or 3 years (two is easiest ... and generally I find if a guy isn't making it in a sim league with voting by year two, he's not making it)

I suggest a discussion thread be opened for each class for a week before the vote (when i ran the FOBL's HoF stuff, we opened a thread for every player...not sure that's needed). Then the vote occurs over a few days or a week.
Ron Collins
GM - Toyama Wind Dancers
2020 Neo-Tokyo Cup Champions

Return to “HoF Discussion”