PEBA/LRS Hall of fame?

Steel Dragons

PEBA/LRS Hall of fame?

#1 Post by Steel Dragons »

I know we talked about this a few years back and was wondering if we had any players that met the criteria yet?

Thoughts?
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: PEBA/LRS Hall of fame?

#2 Post by Evas »

Have we established criteria?

I do think enough time has passed - 10 full seasons at the end of this year. I don't think following the same timeline as the real life Hall of Fame is a good idea.

There are a few very good candidates already. My former closer Sachi Sakurai comes to mind.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Steel Dragons

#3 Post by Steel Dragons »

Yea , I think players who retire a year prior should be eligible. 5 years I think is too long. I am just big in this kinda fluff and why I asked about it years back.
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Borealis »

I don't think we've had any real conversations about the Hall and a timeline. Just fanciful conversations on who'd make it. I think it's time to start having the conversation, even if we waited a season or two to implement - not that I think that's necessary.

Not that he doesn't already have a lot on his plate, but I see as a natural 'Head of the Hall' being JR - does anyone know the history better than he?
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Lions »

Personally, I'm finding it a bit early to start HOF voting as we're only in our 13th season and many of the greatest stars of the era are still playing. I have no issue with starting the discussion, though, and would be very much in favor of having someone volunteer to take charge of the process.

When we're ready, HOF voting can be done in StatsLab if we want.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#6 Post by Nigel »

I think the HOF should open it's doors after our 15th season. For no other reason than it's a nice round number and it gives us time to prepare the ground rules. I would also like to volunteer to help with the project, my take on it is that that entry qualification, the qualifying period and all the other markers should be voted on over the next two years by the leagues through a series of polls so that everything can be set in stone before the first ballot papers appear in statslab after the 2021 season
Nigel Laverick

GM San Antonio Calzones de Laredo 2035 - . . .

Former Commish, PEBA & LRS GM

nigel3123@gmail.com
Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Duane »

It should already be open with inductees...screw the current system of waiting. If a guy deserves it honor him now not ten years from now.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Apollos
All-Star
All-Star

#8 Post by Apollos »

My fear in opening it up now is that we just don't have the proper context yet for a full career's worth of production. There are certainly some guys who are either active/near retirement or are likely already retired that will get in, but we have nothing to judge them by as yet because there is no current baseline. I feel like 15-20 seasons will be enough time to establish who the HOF worthy producers are. If we were to begin opening it up for discussions and/or voting now, I think maybe it'd be appropriate to differentiate early inductees as "PEBA Pioneers" or something of the sort -- kind of like a veteran's committee approach.
Brian Hazelwood - GM, Tempe Knights
Evas
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Evas »

I think an approach where considerations are made for shortened careers from initial batch of players makes a lot of sense. After all, we wouldn't exclude players from that era for not having had the opportunity to have long careers.

We could set the production thresholds a little higher that we might for a player who had a full long and productive career.

Personally, I think the real HoF should have more consideration for players who were absolutely dominant for a while but whose careers were cut short due to injury. Albert Belle is a prime example.
Kevin V. - GM of the Shin Seiki Evas.
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#10 Post by Nigel »

I like the idea of 'PEBA pioneers' for players that were in the inaugural draft and made a significant contribution to the early years and also the idea of some sort of injury induction for players who had completed say five years or more before suffering CEI's. They could be on a separate part of the ballot and their criteria could be set higher at say 80-85% of votes to get elected.

I think 15 years of play would give us a true baseline to work from, most of the inaugural players will have retired by then and that would give us an idea of what we're looking at for the top players stats. If you're setting the opening bar at 20 years then I don't think the stats will be that different and most of us are keen to see the first players inducted
Nigel Laverick

nigel3123@gmail.com
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Lions »

Nigel, I think you've got a good sense of history and with experience in both leagues, you're perfect to lead the charge on this. Since you volunteered, I will back your nomination as the PEBA-verse's HOF Czar.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#12 Post by Coqui »

Underground wrote:I like the idea of 'PEBA pioneers' for players that were in the inaugural draft and made a significant contribution to the early years and also the idea of some sort of injury induction for players who had completed say five years or more before suffering CEI's. They could be on a separate part of the ballot and their criteria could be set higher at say 80-85% of votes to get elected.
Evas wrote:I think an approach where considerations are made for shortened careers from initial batch of players makes a lot of sense. After all, we wouldn't exclude players from that era for not having had the opportunity to have long careers.

We could set the production thresholds a little higher that we might for a player who had a full long and productive career.

Personally, I think the real HoF should have more consideration for players who were absolutely dominant for a while but whose careers were cut short due to injury. Albert Belle is a prime example.
I agree with the sentiment for players for whom the PEBA began in the midst of their (assumed) careers, but I think we should be very judicious - I'd want a minimum of at least 5 years on a roster. As to the injury thing, I emphatically disagree, but then, I'm a small Hall guy. I have no problem with the Sandy Koufax corrollary, but IRL those guys have to have at least 10 years in the bigs to even be considered.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Borealis »

Longshoremen wrote: I agree with the sentiment for players for whom the PEBA began in the midst of their (assumed) careers, but I think we should be very judicious - I'd want a minimum of at least 5 years on a roster.
I think this is something ALL on-line leagues (and maybe solo - it's the, flaw(?) in the beast's nature). I agree there needs to be unique criteria for guys who began 2007 on the big league roster and were... 28? 30?... we'd have to discuss where that line is drawn. Obviously someone who was 22 and on K-Zoo's 2007 roster has a full career, but his 30 year-old teammate does not.
Longshoremen wrote:As to the injury thing, I emphatically disagree, but then, I'm a small Hall guy. I have no problem with the Sandy Koufax corrollary, but IRL those guys have to have at least 10 years in the bigs to even be considered.
Somewhere George Crocker is shaking his head emphatically, "Yes, players with CEIs deserve a shot!"... Where is that guy...?
Not necessarily the opinion of Radio KOA or the Aurora Borealis management...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Nigel
All-Star
All-Star

#14 Post by Nigel »

This is why we should start planning for the HOF now, two, five or more years in advance. Get all this debate out in the open, conduct polls on all the points so everyone can get a say in the matter and produce a full set of rules/criteria for the first HOF ballot be that in 2021, 2026 or later
Nigel Laverick

nigel3123@gmail.com
Matt
VIP
VIP

#15 Post by Matt »

My personal opinion is that until Marcus Hancock is eligible, it's not really worth discussing. That guy should be first. Hands down. I won't cast a vote for anyone until he is eligible.

Return to “HoF Discussion”