2019-21-22-25-26 Performance Based Market/Fan Loyalty Changes (PEBA)

Duane
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Re: Performance Based Market/Fan Loyalty Changes (PEBA)

#16 Post by Duane »

I am both excited and shocked about the results. Excited to see that there are other ways to grow. Shocked that we won a market increase. This will really help in being able to keep players into their free agency years.
Duane

all but one season .... PEBA

Even though we fell short against Duluth in 2026 ... and SS in 2027 and 2029 8-o
IL still RULES!!!!!
Steel Dragons

#17 Post by Steel Dragons »

Does this help teams who lose but still bring in the fans and break attendance records? It shows we suck but the fans still want to fill the stadium.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#18 Post by Matt »

Steel Dragons wrote:Does this help teams who lose but still bring in the fans and break attendance records? It shows we suck but the fans still want to fill the stadium.
Attendance was not a factor in the algorithm used to determine the score. Attendance can be driven by many factors beyond just the level of performance. Our system takes into account simply performance versus expectation on the field.
Steel Dragons

#19 Post by Steel Dragons »

Well hopefully I go up and not down.
klewis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#20 Post by klewis »

Interesting wrinkle this season. Ha, I wished it was implemented awhile back when Florida was starting to peak. But yes, it is cool to see teams get rewarded. So nice job in adding a new element in the game. I will be interested to see how it plays out as we go forward to see how realistic the loyalty/market changes end up being.
Kevin Lewis - Forever Florida Featherheads
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#21 Post by Coqui »

Heh. I guess it says a lot about the shape of the Canton franchise that a 100-loss season has us as average in the whole performing over expectations game. Our fans must get excited when we come out of the dugout wearing the correct uniforms and with most of our shoes tied.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Robert_Ogden
Single-A
Single-A

#22 Post by Robert_Ogden »

Longshoremen wrote:Heh. I guess it says a lot about the shape of the Canton franchise that a 100-loss season has us as average in the whole performing over expectations game. Our fans must get excited when we come out of the dugout wearing the correct uniforms and with most of our shoes tied.
So it isn't the trainer that is the problem in Canton. It is the shoelace manager. How many injuries did you have this year tripping on the dugout steps?
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#23 Post by Coqui »

Fishermen wrote:
Longshoremen wrote:Heh. I guess it says a lot about the shape of the Canton franchise that a 100-loss season has us as average in the whole performing over expectations game. Our fans must get excited when we come out of the dugout wearing the correct uniforms and with most of our shoes tied.
So it isn't the trainer that is the problem in Canton. It is the shoelace manager. How many injuries did you have this year tripping on the dugout steps?

Don't even get me started on our million dollar trainer that helped us to 1500 injury days this year.

Excellent/Excellent/Very Good/Excellent/Average, my [REDACTED]!

:shake:

I might as well save a million bucks and just hire some "doctor" with a mail order medical degree - it's hard to believe that our injury situation could be any worse than it was in 2019.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Matt
VIP
VIP

#24 Post by Matt »

Just a note, this will be back this season. There was a hiatus this past season as we dealt with the merger issues, but this will be back on a permanent basis beginning this year. I am already hard at work on the spreadsheet for this season.

Because the league has merged and is a third larger, the number of teams being rewarded or penalized may change, depending on the thoughts of the Board.

EDIT: The spreadsheet is completed, all I need to do at the end of the season is calculate the scores, which will take about an hour. One team is ineligible for a Market Size or Fan Loyalty increase this year due to their record the last 3 seasons, that being the RGV Ocelots, who, even with pro-rating the shorter LRS seasons in 2018 and 2019, averaged just 55.3 wins. That 123 losses last season is going to leave a mark for a couple years.
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#25 Post by Morris Ragland »

Are fan expectations for former LRS teams essentially reset, or do my fans expect a seventh straight playoff appearance (which is wildly unrealistic)? I'm a little worried about the "kicking a guy while he's down" factor.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Matt
VIP
VIP

#26 Post by Matt »

Shisa wrote:Are fan expectations for former LRS teams essentially reset, or do my fans expect a seventh straight playoff appearance (which is wildly unrealistic)? I'm a little worried about the "kicking a guy while he's down" factor.
I wouldn't say they are totally reset, because several factors go into the 'expectations'. Budget and media revenue are two of the factors that go into the formula. While Okinawa scores well in the playoff appearances department, the low revenue and budget and keep the expectations rather reasonable. Of the former LRS teams, only Shin Seki has high expectations, the Ghosts are in the middle of the pack, every other former LRS team has expectations in the lower third of the rankings.
Matt
VIP
VIP

#27 Post by Matt »

2021 performance based scores

Kalamazoo 16
Kentucky 12
Yuma 11
Manchester 11
West Virginia 10
Canton 10
Crystal Lake 9
Arlington 9
RGV 9
Aurora 8
Florida 8
Amsterdam 8
London 8
Palm Spring 6
Bakersfield 5
Shin Seki 5
Charleston 5
Dayton 5
Neo -Tokyo 4
New Orleans 4
Hartford 4
San Antonio 2
Tempe 2
Niihama-shi 1
Okinawa 0
Fargo -1
Lupin -1
Havana -1
Gloucester -2
Reno -3
Duluth -3
New Jersey -4

Kalamazoo 16
Kentucky 12
Yuma 11
Manchester 11
West Virginia 10
Canton 10

Kalamazoo qualifies for a market size increase.

Kentucky, Yuma, West Virginia, and Canton qualify for fan loyalty increases. Manchester had a fan loyalty change two years ago and is ineligible for a change this season.

Fargo -1
Lupin -1
Havana -1
Gloucester -2
Reno -3
Duluth -3

New Jersey -4

New Jersey takes a hit to their market size. Duluth, Reno, Gloucester, Havana and Lupin take a fan loyalty hit. Fargo took a hit two years ago and is ineligible for a decrease this season.

About the only surprise here to me was Canton, as generally it takes a playoff appearance to get into that top 5. Canton's increase came on the back of simply a 3rd place finish and solid scores against their 3 and 5 yr win totals. Or in other words, the expectations in Canton were really, really low.

All changes will be reflected in the next file.
Coqui
All-Star
All-Star

#28 Post by Coqui »

Ocelots wrote: About the only surprise here to me was Canton, as generally it takes a playoff appearance to get into that top 5. Canton's increase came on the back of simply a 3rd place finish and solid scores against their 3 and 5 yr win totals. Or in other words, the expectations in Canton were really, really low.
As sad as it is to say, this seems pretty reasonable to me. 2021's 79 wins was, after all, the second best season in team history for a franchise that has:

(A) only had one winning season (2015's magical 87-75 campaign),

(B) never finished higher than third place (and that only 3 times in 15 seasons),

(C) only finished within 20 games of a division lead once (and that was 15 GB at season's end).

We had an 11 game turnaround this season, and appear to be pointed in the right direction.

All that being said, the game awarded us an unexpected fan loyalty DROP last sim for reasons that aren't apparent to me, so this change appears to just get us (maybe) back to level.
James
GM San Juan Coqui
Morris Ragland
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#29 Post by Morris Ragland »

Yikes, dodged a bullet there.
Morris Ragland
Commissioner
Matt
VIP
VIP

#30 Post by Matt »

Lupin does not take a hit. My mistake. Their championship last year in the lrs precludes a hit.

Return to “Performance Based Market/Fan Loyalty Adjustments Archive”