Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2029, Season 23

Sandgnats
All-Star
All-Star
Location: Spokane, Washington State, United States of America

Re: Neat Stuff, Post-Sim Thread: 2029, Season 23

#46 Post by Sandgnats »

Codgers wrote:Pleased to get Orlando Reyes into the Codgers fold! He was a disaster for us a few years ago, but with a much smaller contract and limited expectations--only likely to see action when facing lefties--I think he will do much better in 2029.

He'd better!! :shake:
That was a nice signing Denny. He still has it defensively too.
RJ Ermola
Vice President and General Manager of Baseball Operations
Crystal Lake Sandgnats

*2024 PEBA Champions*
Alleghenies
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

#47 Post by Alleghenies »

Well I am happy overall with my team. A few good surprises for me:

Joe Kenney looks like he might steal Raul Garcia spot.
Hector Prado trying to find a spot in the lineup.
Puente has found the strike zone.
Jose Moreno might beat out Wilton.

What upsets me:
10 Errors so far. 3 on my SS You.
Only 26 spots :-).
My manager won't let David Lopéz PR when I put him there.
Gregory Abcarian
General Manager
West Virginia
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#48 Post by Borealis »

After two weeks, The Neat and Not So Neat over there on The Back Range:

After opening the Spring 2-5, a 4-2 follow-up, with 4 wins in a row, feels more encouraging - then again, it's only Spring Training! We have split our four games with the Rising Sun, so that's already an improvement!!

Pitching Neat!
- Bullpen holdovers (and 2028 Aurora Newbies) Bob Burns and Mike Monroe: Burns has thrown 6 innings with 6 K and a single hit... Monroe has gone 9.1, 11 K, 1 B - he has allowed 8 H, 2 R...
- From the minor league territory, Hugh Jones - throwing in relief after a small, yet effective few cups o' joe with Aurora, has continued his pattern: 12 H in 6 IP, 6 K and 4 BB, but only 1 ER (2 R)... Jesus Solis has 8 innings in his 2 GS, with 8 H, 2 R, 4 K and 3 BB...
- From the SP files: 'Tugboat' has 12 IP, 13 H, 4 R, 11 K and 3 BB... 'Chief' 8 IP, 7 H, 3 R (2ER)

Pitching Not So...
- JT: 7 IP, 11 H, 8 R, 7 K, 3 BB... Esquivel: 8 IP, 7 H, 6 IP, 5 K, 4 BB...

Hitting Neat!
- Rule 5 Guy, Roy Duke is 9-18, 3-2B and a triple, 5 of 6 SB... Jose Torres 7-19, 2-2B and a homer... Loetzsch, 10-31, 3-2B... Dwyer, 8-25...

Hitting Not So...
- Ricardo Zamora looks like he's taking a page from the 'Fudd' Files and is 2-18 and impressing no one...
- When the AA catcher is hitting 80 points better than the two incumbents, do you worry? 'Fido' (6-31, 7 K) and Domingo (4-21) are a combined .193, while Yato Shirane (35th overall in 2027) is 3-11...
- River Pope, coming off the worst season of his illustrious career, is 5-23...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#49 Post by Maulers »

Well, the return of the Maulers has begun in very much the way that I had expected: the offense is competent, the pitching is ghastly. It’s just much easier to find league average hitters for bargain basement prices than it is to find such pitchers. And so guys like Jimmy Hudson and Robert Johnson can be had on minor league deals, whereas you feel blessed to be able to sign the likes of Xavier Mota.

So it was a predictably rough 1-6 return to the PEBA; but, at least for a while, fans are so excited to have the Maulers back that they don’t care!
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Borealis
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#50 Post by Borealis »

Aurora sped out of the gate quickly - opening with a four game win-streak, which provided plenty of Neat and a few Not So Neat...

- Aurora split their 4-games with the Evil Evas, winning the first two games with a pair of walk-off homers (Carlisle and Flores) - which may be ominous, but at the same time is Awfully Neat!
- By winning 4 of 6, against Toyama and Shin Seiki, the Borealis are already playing better against the Rising Sun then they did last year. Neat!! Significant seeing all but one April series is against their Japanese rivals...
- 'Chief' Nieves threw a complete game at the Evil Evas, throwing only 76 pitches for the win - Neat! Leaning towards the Not So was allowing 2 HRs, though the Not So-ness of it was mitigated by their being solo jobs...
- John Gray looks like he's taken losing his closer job seriously: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 8 K in 3 appearances. Very Neat; Bob Burns, the current closer: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 unearned run, 2 BB, 5 K - also Neat...
- John Turner had about an ugly Spring as a pitcher can have - but start #1 v. the Win-D's was 5.1, hitless innings, with 8 K and 4 BB; the early season pitch count ending his night early - but nonetheless, Neat!
- Jose Torres is off much like he started 2028: 7-18, 2-2B, a homer and 5 RBI...
- Also slugging his way, Teddy Loetzsch (the PEBA single season Triple record-holder): 5-17 - but those 5 hits are 3-3B and 2-3B - Very Neat!
- Not So Neat: Paul Carlisle, 2-18 (aside from the walk-off homer) and River Pope (1-7)...
- Also Not So Neat At All: C/DH 'Fido' Castro and Domingo Gutierrez, 3-16 and 2-12, respectively - though Castro dies have a homer...
Michael Topham, President Golden Entertainment & President-CEO of the Aurora Borealis
2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 PEBA Champions
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#51 Post by Lions »

Ronald Turton's PEBA debut was a complete game, 2-hit shutout of the Maulers while pitching with a strained hamstring.
Manuel Gonzalez had a similarly productive outing, throwing 7 shutout innings in his debut, however that was against the much tougher Havana Leones.

As for us, we had a predictably bad start to the year, going 1-5. Our only win was recorded by rookie SP Peter MacLeish. He was the #18 pick in the 2027 draft and the only pitcher from that draft to reach PEBA so far. I'm not sure what the deal was with that pick, but he was thrown straight into the majors without ever spending time in the minors. Offensively, our only standout performer was RF Jake Owens, who would be better suited coming off the bench, but for now gets to play regularly. 1B Vito Valkenburg, who won the DH job despite a lousy spring, drew a team high 5 walks (tied with SS Juan Hernandez) and if he can keep his OBP near .350, we'll be quite satisfied with him.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#52 Post by DrewV »

A bad start for Duluth--but not bad in the way I expected.

Andy Sharp, after an awesome Spring performance, had a pretty rough start. Not really worried about him, but man not a good sim for Andy. Pat Barry was also silent.

Medina just gave up more homers in the first 6 games than he dead in all of 2028. A blown save 6 games in, big oof.
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#53 Post by Ghosts »

Warriors wrote:A bad start for Duluth--but not bad in the way I expected.

Andy Sharp, after an awesome Spring performance, had a pretty rough start. Not really worried about him, but man not a good sim for Andy. Pat Barry was also silent.

Medina just gave up more homers in the first 6 games than he dead in all of 2028. A blown save 6 games in, big oof.
Those games were exciting to watch in sim/replay mode. There were two fantastic outfield grabs that really impacted games. Both of our shiny new closers blew a save in horrific fashion. Lian's welcome-to-PEBA line: 0.1 IP, 6H, 2BB, 5 ER for a 135.00 ERA. This was after he was untouchable all Spring. He also pitched a perfect save the following week, but watching that happen in the sim was gut-wrenching. Made me want to fire the manager on the spot.
Dan Vail
Bakersfield Bears 2028-2030
Niihama-shi Ghosts 2010, 2031-current
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#54 Post by Ghosts »

The Bears are off to a rip-roaring offensive start, and would be unbeaten if not for a horrific blow save. A far cry from the team that averaged only 3.4 runs/game when the new FO took over less than a year ago - the current iteration of the Bears will need to be able to best that number by a comfortable margin in order to repeat their 2028 success because we cannot expect our starting pitching to perform at career levels while in perfect health two years in a row. So far, so good, but next week we have a tougher schedule as we have a four game series against the defending champs and then another against the Codgers - which could affect the early standings quite a bit.

Bear of the week: Newcomer Martin Ramirez, replacing the departed Declan Littleworth, pitched a gem against Kalamazoo only giving up 2H and 2BB while posting 7K, 0R in 7.1 innings for the W.
Dan Vail
Arroyos
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#55 Post by Arroyos »

Yuma Bulldozer owners and management wish to apologize to the Sovereign League of the PEBAverse for the team's unsportsmanlike conduct during the last week. There is no excuse for such rude and inconsiderate behavior on the part of a proud and tradition-bound baseball club. The Yuma owners want to assure the rest of the league that the Bulldozers will resume their customarily dignified role as league cellar dwellars as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience the team has caused.

Emma Span, spokeswoman
Consortium of Owners
Yuma, AZ
Bob Mayberry
Yuma Arroyos
joined 1 April 2010
DrewV
Triple-A
Triple-A

#56 Post by DrewV »

Thank you Emma for this heartfelt and comforting message!
Drew Visscher (GM Ricky McCoy) | Duluth Warriors
Maulers
All-Star
All-Star

#57 Post by Maulers »

Well, we're two weeks into the season and it's already very ugly in Manchester. An 0-5 week puts the Maulers at a ghastly 1-10 to begin the season. The major, predictable culprit has been the pitching: both the rotation and the bullpen have been rolling catastrophes. Major changes are being applied to both already: Rivas and Mota are out of the rotation. And there are three new arms in the bullpen. To be clear, I strongly suspect that this is a case of shuffling the chairs on a sinking ship; but you've got to try something.

In even worse news, one of the lone Mauler prospects at the higher levels - center fielder Scott Carpenter - is putting up eye-popping numbers of an ignominious sort: he has now fanned an outrageous 20 times in only 38 plate appearances. And, no, those k's are not being off-set by walks (of which he has collected a scant 2 thus far).

Perhaps the only thing more ridiculous than the performance of the local 9 is lunatic owner Artie Bruto's pre-season demand that the 2029 Maulers make the PEBA playoffs...
Jeff Dudas
Head Scout Extraordinaire
Manchester Maulers Baseball Club (2007-2023; 2029-present)
Ghosts
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#58 Post by Ghosts »

Maulers wrote:In even worse news, one of the lone Mauler prospects at the higher levels - center fielder Scott Carpenter - is putting up eye-popping numbers of an ignominious sort: he has now fanned an outrageous 20 times in only 38 plate appearances. And, no, those k's are not being off-set by walks (of which he has collected a scant 2 thus far).

I like Carpenter as a CF prospect. He should come into his own and deliver good power while being able to stick defensively. I doubt he's ever a superstar, but 25+ HRs and solid CF defense isn't too shabby, even if he does post depressing K rates.
Dan Vail
Lions
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#59 Post by Lions »

After our second 1-5 week, at least we're consistent! I think we pretty much started out this way last year, too, which makes me wonder if I need to do things a little differently in Spring Training.

So, while we're terrible, we expected to be bad. What has gone right? Our pitchers aren't giving up many walks yet. Our pitching has allowed a league low 25 walks so far. We've given up 102 hits, which is middle of the pack. We're giving up a lot of home runs, though.

Offensively, we're bottom of the league in home runs and stolen bases, with just 4 of each. At least Ruben Jimenez is off to a solid start.
Frank Esselink
Amsterdam Lions/Connecticut Nutmeggers GM: 2013-2022, 2031-present
Kalamazoo Badgers GM: 2028-2030
Hitmen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#60 Post by Hitmen »

One thing I am getting used to as I am back now, and this may be largely in part to having a new franchise and not my own where I groomed it for ~13 seasons, but my minors are terrible. Very little talent to look forward to. To top it off, the free agent pool is very slim with any real talent or minor talent to get excited about. I've had to make a handful of middling trades just to restock on some utility back ups that I deemed acceptable.

A lot has changed in the ~5 seasons I've missed. I am definitely up for the challenge :) Just making some observations on my end a couple sims in so far as I still try to get a good look at the landscape and decide how I plan to run the team in the immediate future with goals for long term.
Michael Czosnyka

Current PEBA Board Member
Current - New Jersey Hitmen 2011 - 2023; 2024-2033 AI lead, 2034+
Former - Madison Malts (f.k.a. Canton Longshoremen) 2029 - 2033

Attending PEBAholics Anonymous meetings since 09/22/2009

Return to “PEBA General Discussion”